Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 tire 255/40 R21

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by josedebardi
The official SQ5 winter wheels are 19s.
http://www.audi.at/files/at/element/..._aut_jun13.pdf

Nur für den SQ5 = only for the SQ5
Winter tyres exist two size for SQ5 :
-235/55 R19 (snow chains, permissible top speed 210 km / h)
-255/45 R20 (not suitable for snow chains, including wheel arch, maximum speed 240 km / h)

Name:  ScreenShot109_zps4ee9fd87.jpg
Views: 4563
Size:  47.9 KB
The following users liked this post:
zeus48 (11-03-2020)
Old 08-08-2013, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the looks of the 21's, but my wife is not interested in multiple wheel sets, and our climate can support all-seasons. I've been keeping an eye on tire rack and it looks like the OEM Dunlops finally showed up on there for $400 a pop. I really hope the Pilot Sport A/S 3's are made in that size.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That's one of the main reasons I would not consider the 21" wheel. Also don't understand Audi's decision not to include A/S option. How can anyone take advantage of summer performance tires on an SUV is beyond me. It's very unlikely that many SQ5 owners will be tracking such a vehicle. Not to turn this thread into A/S vs dedicated winter war, but speaking from experience with using winters as well as UHPAS on my S4 and M3, most people would be fine with A/S on the Q. At least there are plenty of UHPAS 20" tires available for about half the cost of 21", and to me it's an acceptable compromise.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by TonySCV
Just a note of caution... I went on an extended test drive in the SQ5 with the 21" Dunlops and the road noise coming from them was significant at times on the freeway, so be sure you take a test drive first and are happy with the road noise.

FWIW... I got a lot of road noise from the Bridgestone Dueler tiers on my 2012 Q5 S-Line (20") as well - to the point where I wouldn't by them as replacements. The noise I heard from the Dunlops at times was similar.

Michelins were better.
It's your personal opinion, the data say something different.
I had the Michelin Latitude Sport and now I use Dunlop Sport Maxx GT for me they are less noisy than Michelin
Of course exists several models of Michelin and Dunlop tires for the Q5

Tyre’s noise level in decibels (dB)

Name:  ScreenShot113_zpsd44db30a.jpg
Views: 4388
Size:  48.4 KB

Name:  ScreenShot115_zps588c56a0.jpg
Views: 4351
Size:  86.4 KB

Compare external noise level
This diagram shows you a tyre’s noise level in decibels (dB). The 3-wave pictogram tells you
Image: Noise Level Labelhow it rates in relation to future European mandatory limits. Tyre noise heard outside the car doesn’t necessarily relate to what you hear inside the car.

3 black waves = Noisier tyre. Level greater than the future limit but complies with today’s noise regulation
2 black waves = Average tyre. Noise level equal to or below future limit by up to 3 dB (A)
1 black wave = Low noise tyre. Noise level 3 dB (A) or more below future noise limit

3dB doesn’t sound much but it is actually double the noise level!

Last edited by spijun; 08-08-2013 at 11:20 AM.
zeus48 (11-03-2020)
Old 08-30-2013, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Anyone know which tire is better?

Dunlop SP SPORT MAXX GT
Pirelli P ZERO
Old 08-30-2013, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Now have 700+ miles on the 21" Dunlop Sport maxx GT and I'm surprised at the comments regarding road noise and tire roar. I have not experienced such with these tires. If anything, I've found them to be very smooth and quiet whether driving around the neighborhood or cruising at highway speeds. No roar, no noise. Perhaps the noise might manifest with more miles, or it's possible that I am desensitized to tire noise given how loud it is to drive the GT3. But I really don't think so. It's certainly not any more tire noise than the comfy bridgestone duelers on my escalade.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by larryV
Now have 700+ miles on the 21" Dunlop Sport maxx GT and I'm surprised at the comments regarding road noise and tire roar. I have not experienced such with these tires. If anything, I've found them to be very smooth and quiet whether driving around the neighborhood or cruising at highway speeds. No roar, no noise. Perhaps the noise might manifest with more miles, or it's possible that I am desensitized to tire noise given how loud it is to drive the GT3. But I really don't think so. It's certainly not any more tire noise than the comfy bridgestone duelers on my escalade.
Different people have different levels of acceptability... I would say the GT3 would probably desensitise you.
I took a 911 Carrera GTS on 19s for a test drive yesterday and actually noted to the sales guy that the that road noise and ride was noticeably (but not significantly) better than the SQ5!

I personally think they are quite noisy compared to various other low profile tyres I have owned/experienced on other vehicles, tire roar is quite noticeable at about 65 (seems to be a sweet resonant spot) IMHO, but not so bad that low volume music doesn't drown out.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by wrcardon
Anyone know which tire is better?

Dunlop SP SPORT MAXX GT
Pirelli P ZERO
It's the eternal question and nobody has yet won in all segments, dry braking, braking on wet, grip during cornering, aquaplaning , wet handling....
Each tire has its advantages and disadvantages
But I think the tire size is 21" there are no big differences
zeus48 (11-03-2020)
Old 12-26-2013, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi just took delivery of a SQ5 Great machine Delivered with no radiator cap drove ital 100 k s after delivery luckily looked under the hood next day !!! No cap ! sent the dealer a pic as they did not believe me delivered cap in next 2 hours a 200 k round trip! Anyway the ride on big 21 Pirellis was B.. awful . Delivered on max load pressure 40 psi rang Pirelli told not to go below 30 psi settled for 34 psi and immediate improvement in ride quality. Also improved turn in . Car is road only. Happy Motoring RS
Old 12-26-2013, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphsmall
Hi just took delivery of a SQ5 Great machine Delivered with no radiator cap drove ital 100 k s after delivery luckily looked under the hood next day !!! No cap ! sent the dealer a pic as they did not believe me delivered cap in next 2 hours a 200 k round trip! Anyway the ride on big 21 Pirellis was B.. awful . Delivered on max load pressure 40 psi rang Pirelli told not to go below 30 psi settled for 34 psi and immediate improvement in ride quality. Also improved turn in . Car is road only. Happy Motoring RS
Hopefully the lower pressure won't cause increased tire wear. For me, the 21" wheel is slightly more comfortable than my old S4 with 19". Both the sidewall height and suspension were lower on the S4.

Quick Reply: SQ5 tire 255/40 R21