Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 Transmission problem

Old 10-13-2017, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SQ5 Transmission problem

I have a 2014 SQ5 TDI - all fine apart from an intermittent problem that appears when the engine is hot and I stop at traffic lights/road junction etc. When car is in Drive,with or without Stop/Start on, on several occasions the transmission will simply not engage and pressing the accelerator pedal simply increases revs, but no forward movement. This is not just hesitation but complete failure to engage gears.Problem is resolved when gear lever is moved to R or P then back again or engine is switched off , but not surprisingly in the meantime the cars behind are venting there frustration at my apparent stalling.Audi service say they can identify no fault codes and make some vague reference to insufficient charge from battery ( due to it being original). This may be applicable if engine stops and has to restart but not when engine is running. any ideas please?
Old 10-14-2017, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

valve body??? solenoids?? oil quality and quantity?? clutch discs??

Not sure what is audi procedure (they can check with diagnostic I believe few parameters) but I would first change filters (internal and external) and transmission fluid. check if problem persists, then replace transmission clutch discs check if problem persists, then go for a valve body rebuilt (solenoids).

Not sure what these are but check these out with the clutch plates (s tronic has clutch plates not sure of tiptronic)
flywheel, release bearing

Last edited by apoelistas; 10-14-2017 at 06:44 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for suggestion. Car is due for service in 6 weeks so will take this up then. Intermittent problem so hopefully no dramas until service date.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Please keep us posted.

I'm especially interested as I, too, have a 2014 SQ5...although NOT a TDI.

My car currently has 87K miles, with no issues, other than it runs a bit fast.

Jason
New York
Old 10-18-2017, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

JasonJ " it runs a bit fast." sounds like you have a problem with the accelerator pedal ! Should have that looked at.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default SQ5 Transmission Problem

Hi Ancientbr, did you manage to resolve the transmission problem. My 2014 SQ5 has exactly the same issue and unfortunately is just out of Warranty, so I’m a bit wary about taking it straight to the Dealer without knowing what could be the cause. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

You need to take it to the dealer to find out what could be the cause. Kinda works that way. You don't have to do it there but at least see what they say and then if you choose go to an independent and see if it's the same.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by shokhead
You need to take it to the dealer to find out what could be the cause. Kinda works that way. You don't have to do it there but at least see what they say and then if you choose go to an independent and see if it's the same.
Hi Shokhead
Thanks for your post. I’ve been running fast Audi’s (S4, RS4 and 2R8s) for about 12yrs and my experiences with the Dealerships have been mixed, especially where they have had to trace a problem that’s out of the ordinary. As my cars have always been within the Warranty period I’ve not been too concerned as it’s been in their interest to sort the problem as soon as, but as this is an intermittent fault I’d like to give the Dealership a heads-up on what it might be. I’ll probably end up leaving the car with the Dealership anyway, if I can’t get anything through the Forum.
Thanks once again for your interest and hopefully I can get it sorted as soon as.
Old 12-28-2017, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Softail
Hi Ancientbr, did you manage to resolve the transmission problem. My 2014 SQ5 has exactly the same issue and unfortunately is just out of Warranty, so I’m a bit wary about taking it straight to the Dealer without knowing what could be the cause. Any help would be appreciated.

Car returned from dealer today after 60k (kms) /4 year service ( though has only done 38k) . I detailed problem with dealer and fact that it is occurring every week when engine is warm. Surprise, surprise diagnostics revealed no faults. So back to square one. dealer has suggested that i take car in for a check of transmission next week - another A$300-. So will try but am not hopeful. Fault occurs when I come to a full stop/foot on brake and doesn't seem to make any difference if auto engine switch off is disabled or not. So car is in drive and won't engage gears when I pull away- the engine just revs as if the clutch is engaged. To resolve this I have to put car into P and then back into D/S - meanwhile cars behind are somewhat annoyed as to why I am sitting there not moving - always seems to happen at traffic lights!. This is the only fault with the car and now, for all journeys I disable the auto function and when stopping I place foot lightly on brakes so i can feel the transmission engage . Await further developments!
Old 12-28-2017, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Ancientbr the dealer tech needs to put his monitor on record and go for a drive until this event occurs.Could be a long drive but too bad.I'm surprised the transmission isn't setting a "hard fault" which can be retrieved from the Ecu.It sounds like a relatively major event.Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SQ5 Transmission problem