Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SQ5 Transmission Problem

Originally Posted by Ancientbr
Car returned from dealer today after 60k (kms) /4 year service ( though has only done 38k) . I detailed problem with dealer and fact that it is occurring every week when engine is warm. Surprise, surprise diagnostics revealed no faults. So back to square one. dealer has suggested that i take car in for a check of transmission next week - another A$300-. So will try but am not hopeful. Fault occurs when I come to a full stop/foot on brake and doesn't seem to make any difference if auto engine switch off is disabled or not. So car is in drive and won't engage gears when I pull away- the engine just revs as if the clutch is engaged. To resolve this I have to put car into P and then back into D/S - meanwhile cars behind are somewhat annoyed as to why I am sitting there not moving - always seems to happen at traffic lights!. This is the only fault with the car and now, for all journeys I disable the auto function and when stopping I place foot lightly on brakes so i can feel the transmission engage . Await further developments!
Ancientbr, as I’ve got exactly the same problem with my SQ5, I’ve been doing the same with mine (holding it lightly on the brake), to prevent the start/stop and also feel that the transmission is engaged. I thought that the problem might be with a faulty sensor/switch within the foot brake that may not be working correctly and preventing the transmission from allowing the gear to be engaged. I don’t know enough about auto boxes to be certain but I know that the brake pedal needs to be fully engaged to allow a drive to be selected - in fact under normal stationary conditions you can feel a solenoid being activated when in P or N if you hold the selector when the pedal is pressed. Best of luck with the check next week in any case.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default SQ5 Transmission problem

Originally Posted by Softail
Hi Ancientbr, did you manage to resolve the transmission problem. My 2014 SQ5 has exactly the same issue and unfortunately is just out of Warranty, so I’m a bit wary about taking it straight to the Dealer without knowing what could be the cause. Any help would be appreciated.
OK. car returned from its follow up check. I wasn't overly optimistic that they would be able to fix this . However, a check of the wiring harness revealed that there was a fault in the wiring connectors between the engine ECU and the Transmission ( ECU ?) . Apparently this caused a drop in resistance when the brake pedal was released and the car accelerated from a standstill. This required replacement of the relevant part of the wiring harness.- cheap ( around US$45, but 3 +hours labour. ) I was told by my dealer ( in Melbourne, Australia ) that a TPI had been raised - which I believe is Audi speak for a request for a fix from Audi's global dealers reporting this problem . So if that is the case then any dealer should be able to obtain the information a to how to remedy this. Of course, the car has only been back a few days so this may still be a problem. I have been running it with the stop/start engaged and it does seem to require more pressure on the accelerator to move off from standstill and there is a slight hesitancy before forward movement is achieved. But so far so good. I would add that, after initially telling me that they would charge me for this repair , ( car is now 1 year out of warranty ) I told them that I had reported this at the last 2 annual services and that nothing had been found. I was then phoned 30 mins later to say that the work would be done free as a " goodwill" gesture.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Excellent!
Old 01-07-2018, 12:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Great result, I thought it might be something electrical and hopefully a permanent fix.
I’ll arrange to take mine into the dealer and explain what the problem with mine might be and the possibility of an Audi tech report.
i’ll post When I get it resolved.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hmm this is very concerning as I just got a new SQ5 Hope they truly fixed the problem as this is serious. I had a Honda Accord V6 long time ago showing the exact problem and I regretted that I didn’t push hard enough for dealer to diagnose and fix it. Eventually it got very bad and dangerous when the car was just out of warranty. Turned out to be the whole transmission was faulty and needs to be replaced. And I searched all the forums and NHTSA complaints and there were at least few hundred cases. But since there was no recall and after long phone calls with US Honda corporate only choice I got is to pay half of the whole transmission replacement. My point is this kinda transmission issue won’t go away and will only get worse. And it will help if all owners stick together to prove this is not a singular issue.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ok a quick report on the transmission problem after 2 weeks. No issues so far and stop/start works as it should with no problems of failure to engage transmission. So looks as though this is is a satisfactory fix for this problem.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello to everyone,
I have the same problem on my SQ5, when the engine is switched off with the start& stop system, then pushing the brake pedal
while is in drive, the motor is switching on but the transmission will not engage and then I have to set the lever to neutral and then
back to drive in order to have the motor engaged again; I understand that some of you is facing the same problem.... Has eventually
the problem been solved ? And the issue had to do with the transmission ?
Thank you for your feed back.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default SQ5 Transmission Problem

Hello Paolo V
I have now sold my SQ5 (although I’ve bought another slightly newer 2016 SQ5 BiTDI), however I had already booked my old car in for the repair work. When I explained the symptoms to the Dealer they were immediately aware of this type of fault and that a TPI (repair instruction) had been issued. The problem is with a small part of the wiring harness connections to the transmission and the start-stop system and the repair is to replace the harness. They have to take diagnostic readings to confirm it’s the connections and then they estimate it’s a 2hr job to replace the short harness. Although I sold the car prior to the work being carried out and it was 3months outside it’s Warranty , my view was that Audi would have to pay for the work, as they are fully aware of the worldwide failure of the component and the simple fix. Good luck anyway but I’ll be keeping a close eye on my new car to make sure any fault is dealt with immediately. Hope this helps.
Originally Posted by Paolo V
Hello to everyone,
I have the same problem on my SQ5, when the engine is switched off with the start& stop system, then pushing the brake pedal
while is in drive, the motor is switching on but the transmission will not engage and then I have to set the lever to neutral and then
back to drive in order to have the motor engaged again; I understand that some of you is facing the same problem.... Has eventually
the problem been solved ? And the issue had to do with the transmission ?
Thank you for your feed back.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm sure glad I do not have the start-stop system for several reasons now.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello Softail,
thank you for your swift reply; I have to bring the car for a check on the next February 19th, and for sure I’ll mention to the dealer
the issue you told me about the harness; my car is out of warranty as well but hopefully such fix will not be so expensive...
I still believe the SQ5 is a great car despite this problem..
All the best !

Quick Reply: SQ5 Transmission problem