Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Stolen

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What type of neighborhood do you live in? Sadly there are criminal devices that can grab your key's signal when you unlock or lock and they can somehow turn that into a signal to open and start your car. No broken glass, no alarms, just unlock start and drive off. This has been happening with BMWs. Just google bmw m3 stolen without keys.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can get a clothes hanger or something through the window, then you can open the door. Just use it to reach down and tap the unlock button. Easier than grabbing and pulling a tab.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Transfer
What type of neighborhood do you live in? Sadly there are criminal devices that can grab your key's signal when you unlock or lock and they can somehow turn that into a signal to open and start your car. No broken glass, no alarms, just unlock start and drive off. This has been happening with BMWs. Just google bmw m3 stolen without keys.
It's a reasonably safe neighborhood in Seattle. I wonder where I can find recovery statistics on Audi's?
Old 03-31-2014, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by erik.wahlstrom
I did leave both in the car. My stupidity in not understanding how the thing worked. That said there wasn't any glass on the street. I also ALWAYS lock the car. Just force of habit. If the emergency key was used, I'm fairly certain it was done by more than some kid. It's not at all obvious how the emergency key works, and you'd have to know about it. I wonder if that makes it more or less likely that the car will be recovered?
Yikes! Me too! I'm getting that plastic key out of the car as soon as my wife gets home with the car. Thanks for the heads up. I hope things turn out well for you. It's a major headache no matter what.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Ahh, I'd totally forgotten about that. Anyone know how this works? I've never really understood it.
I did leave both in the car. My stupidity in not understanding how the thing worked. That said there wasn't any glass on the street. I also ALWAYS lock the car. Just force of habit. If the emergency key was used, I'm fairly certain it was done by more than some kid. It's not at all obvious how the emergency key works, and you'd have to know about it. I wonder if that makes it more or less likely that the car will be recovered?
Did you read owner's manual ?
In Europe, if do not return two keys and plastic emergency key, insurance company will not to pay stolen vehicle
Old 03-31-2014, 10:53 AM
TTG
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a reasonably safe neighborhood in Seattle. I wonder where I can find recovery statistics on Audi's?
Ok, I was not expecting for you to say Seattle. Can you please provide more details?

10 years ago, my neighbor's benz was stolen from our building's parking garage. She had a tracking device on the car and once it was activated, it was pretty much floating in the middle of Pacific ocean.

Please keep us posted and GL.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by spijun
In Europe, if do not return two keys and plastic emergency key, insurance company will not to pay stolen vehicle
I hope this is not the case in the U.S. What happens if you lose a key? Your insurance is cancelled?
Old 03-31-2014, 11:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TTG
Ok, I was not expecting for you to say Seattle. Can you please provide more details?

10 years ago, my neighbor's benz was stolen from our building's parking garage. She had a tracking device on the car and once it was activated, it was pretty much floating in the middle of Pacific ocean.

Please keep us posted and GL.
I live in West Seattle. It's a "nice neighborhood". There are plenty of nice cars parked on the street. In my case it was right in front of the house, in a well lit area. We shall see how things proceed.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by spijun
And what happens if your key was stolen to steal your car??? No insurance then???
Old 03-31-2014, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts
Default It can be done through the OBDII port

Well, 15 months in to owning the Q5 and she was stolen right in front of my house last night. I have the advanced key and have both of them so I'm not entirely sure how it was taken. It was right in front of my house so I don't think it could have been towed. Any thoughts on what it would take to "hotwire" a Q5? Should I expect major damage if/when I get it back? What are people's thoughts on the likelihood of getting it back? Any recommendations/hint on working with the insurance company?

Never been through this so I'm curious how it will go.

--Erik
First they look up your VIN number, it's right there on the dash corner visible through windshield from the outside (I now keep mine taped over).
Then they have a key made with inside help at a dealership. The key won't start your car until it is programmed into the ECU. The bad guys have a programmer that plugs into your OBDII port, they can disable the anti-theft devices to move the car to where they can program the new key. I think I'm going to drop my OBDII connector, and screw in a screw from the backside so they can't use their cable connector plug, I don't think they will stick around trying to figure why their plug won't go into the socket.

Here's a BMW video of the bad guys stealing it, but it is the same method for an Audi....

I feel your pain, I hope scumbags totaled your car into a tree with them in it....

Quick Reply: Stolen