AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/)
-   -   Stolen - Q5 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/stolen-q5-2901193/)

Redd 06-04-2016 10:46 AM

It if isn't recovered in 48 hours, it has usually gone to a chop shop or export and is gone. Rather than a joy-ride or amateurs. Insurers typically are allowed 30 days to resolve or dispute a claim and they often wait for the 30th day, to earn more interest before they hand out money. These days with interest rates so low, they will often pay up sooner, especially if you keep running up their costs by pestering their service reps every day or two. (The cost of answering the phones and mail exceeds the interest they'd make on holding the money. Yes, they really do figure these things out.) At least, to get them in motion.

Bob Petruska 06-04-2016 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Redd (Post 24820323)
It if isn't recovered in 48 hours, it has usually gone to a chop shop or export and is gone. Rather than a joy-ride or amateurs. Insurers typically are allowed 30 days to resolve or dispute a claim and they often wait for the 30th day, to earn more interest before they hand out money. These days with interest rates so low, they will often pay up sooner, especially if you keep running up their costs by pestering their service reps every day or two. (The cost of answering the phones and mail exceeds the interest they'd make on holding the money. Yes, they really do figure these things out.) At least, to get them in motion.

They're paying for his rental everyday, so they should settle quickly!

BarryT 06-04-2016 05:18 PM

Someone stole a car that I had about 15 years ago. The insurance company told me that they had to wait 30 days to see if the car was found. After 3 weeks or so the insurance company called and said that the police found it in the woods on cinder blocks burned a few days after it was stolen.

joli108 06-22-2016 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by rhite95 (Post 24819576)
Keep us updated.

I hope things work out for you.

Update: Good News! My insurance company has settled with me (within 30 days) on the theft of my Q5 and I am very satisfied as they made me whole plus some. I must admit I was worried as the emergency key was in the glove box but they never raised this as an issue.

Having the car almost five months, I fell in love and now regret that I must begin the search again for another auto, a task I very much dislike--it took me almost a year to decide on the one that was stolen. Not sure whether I will get another Q5 or not as the price I paid was a very good deal and a 3.0 is hard to find with the options I had on the original car. Will continue my search over the next couple of weeks before I make a decision. One thing I do know is that I would not want to go through this again…

So far, no recovery. Received a letter a few days ago from the police dept wanting to know if the car had been recovered(?!). The one thing that bothers me about this is that the responding sheriff put in the incident report that the car was “unlocked”. My family and I had valuables in the car and it was not left unlocked and neither did I tell him that.

Thanks for listening and your words of support during what was a difficult period!

DennisMitchell 06-22-2016 05:13 PM

Maybe the police assume if no broken glass, the car was unlocked. ?

rhite95 06-23-2016 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by joli108 (Post 24826917)
Update: Good News! My insurance company has settled with me (within 30 days) on the theft of my Q5 and I am very satisfied as they made me whole plus some. I must admit I was worried as the emergency key was in the glove box but they never raised this as an issue.

Having the car almost five months, I fell in love and now regret that I must begin the search again for another auto, a task I very much dislike--it took me almost a year to decide on the one that was stolen. Not sure whether I will get another Q5 or not as the price I paid was a very good deal and a 3.0 is hard to find with the options I had on the original car. Will continue my search over the next couple of weeks before I make a decision. One thing I do know is that I would not want to go through this again…

So far, no recovery. Received a letter a few days ago from the police dept wanting to know if the car had been recovered(?!). The one thing that bothers me about this is that the responding sheriff put in the incident report that the car was “unlocked”. My family and I had valuables in the car and it was not left unlocked and neither did I tell him that.

Thanks for listening and your words of support during what was a difficult period!

Good deal !!

I know what you mean about finding the right one.. I have been looking for 4 months now.

tomaszp72 06-23-2016 07:07 AM

Get an SQ5:):):)

the_duke 06-23-2016 08:39 AM

Happy to hear everything turned out ok. Thieves will always find a way regardless of technology. Bottom line is that houses and cars have glass windows. I know a few people that have even had their expensive gun safes defeated by tenacious thieves. There are bad people in the world and they are just as determined to succeed in their tasks as we are in ours.

Redd 06-23-2016 10:26 AM

Joli-
You might want to send a certified letter to that cop, just to go on record as nothing "there is a material error in your report, the vehicle was locked, not unlocked, and it was always locked when unattended. We would appreciate the official report being corrected, and a corrected copy of the report being sent to us to confirm this."

So it doesn't come back to bite you.

Also, a cellular/gps tracking and recovery system might be worth considering. If it takes so long just to FIND a replacement, a hundred bucks or so and another hundred a year to maintain it, is actually way cheaper than anything else you can do. Just make sure you understand what a system can or will do, and how to use it. (Yes, they can be defeated, but they work more often than not.)