Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Subwoofer Upgrade Project

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took a look at the sub in the box that sits inside the spare wheel. No wonder there is not much bass, the cone has the diameter of a CD. Also, I noticed that this tiny little sub-tweater, err I mean subwoofer has no branding on it. Nothing at all but a small white sticker that could simply be a QC check sticker.

I would think that if the speakers were Bang & Olufsen they would be branded as such. This is a no name brand speaker?!!

I also noted that this speaker can be removed in less than 1 minute from it's enclosure. One does not need to even remove the spare wheel or the box. 4 screws hold a protective cover over the cone and simultaneously hold the speaker in the housing.

I also noticed that when I disconnected this sub, the was not a noticeable falloff in bass. The sub is working, but not very effective at all!

I think I will research the option of swapping this speaker out for a brand name 2 or 4 ohm and see if there is an improvement. Iwill have the speaker tested first as it may be a 6 ohm unit and in this case, may be unwise to go to a 2 ohm replacement unit.

Last edited by GregH; 07-18-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had the same reaction when I investigated the B&O subwoofer. Obviously the design team only cared about packaging it elegantly into the space in the spare tire. They didn't care about performance at all. It is virtually worthless.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sleater_kinney_rox
I had the same reaction when I investigated the B&O subwoofer. Obviously the design team only cared about packaging it elegantly into the space in the spare tire. They didn't care about performance at all. It is virtually worthless.
Yup this B&O system is a little bit of a con in my opinion. Perhaps that is a bit harsh but I had the opportunity to listen to a standard Q5 system again today (I did also own one previously) and I am more convinced than ever that it is not THAT great. I love my Q but this is a weak point for sure. I'm too scared to look behind the other speaker grills in the car in case I find that these too are no name brand paper pots. Anyway, each to their own; I spent my money, I live with my choice......... and in this case.... I fix the problem!

Collect my Kicker 6.5" VTComp shallow mount subwoofer tomorrow from the local agents down the road. Will report back, hopefully with good news as it is costing me 25% of the value of the original B&O option.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GregH
Collect my Kicker 6.5" VTComp shallow mount subwoofer tomorrow from the local agents down the road. Will report back, hopefully with good news as it is costing me 25% of the value of the original B&O option.
Did you end up going with the 2 ohm or 4 ohm?
Old 07-19-2012, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by eskayo
Did you end up going with the 2 ohm or 4 ohm?
I understand that the stock item is 4 ohm, although there is a post somewhere that also claims 6 ohms for the stock sub.

According to the spec sheets on the web and the agent I spoke with on the phone, this particular unit can handle both 2 ohm and 4 ohm. I'm not yet sure if there is an option to change this via some switch in the speaker or if it is an "auto detect". I am hoping it will be able to "force" 2 ohm as this might push more power. Here is a link to the unit I have found so you can see the spec sheet:
http://www.planetworld.co.za/kicker-...ofer@1243.html

Seems to have good reviews and best of all, simply drops into the stock housing, no mod required.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

According to the spec sheets on the web and the agent I spoke with on the phone, this particular unit can handle both 2 ohm and 4 ohm. I'm not yet sure if there is an option to change this via some switch in the speaker or if it is an "auto detect". I am hoping it will be able to "force" 2 ohm as this might push more power.
I found the same speaker online, but the model numbers seem different for 2 vs. 4 ohm.

4 ohm:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-10CVT654.html

2 ohm:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-10CVT652.html
Old 07-20-2012, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by eskayo
I found the same speaker online, but the model numbers seem different for 2 vs. 4 ohm.

4 ohm:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-10CVT654.html

2 ohm:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-10CVT652.html
I see what you mean. A bit mute for me now though... The agent called me today to say that particular unit was actually not in stock, will have to wait a while. Has however offered me two alternatives. One I tested today (marginally better bass for sure, perhaps not enough to justify the price) and another will be tested tomorrow when it arrives from another branch. This one is supposedly better again, so holding thumbs. I will then compare stock and these two side by side in the car, using same track on a CD and decide if one of these will provide the extra kick without having to crank the bass to boomy levels on the MMI. Fortunately they are easy to swap out and the sound shop is willing to work with me to find the best solution.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is excellent Greg, really looking forward to hearing (no pun intended) how you go.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

I took a look at the sub in the box that sits inside the spare wheel. No wonder there is not much bass, the cone has the diameter of a CD. Also, I noticed that this tiny little sub-tweater, err I mean subwoofer has no branding on it. Nothing at all but a small white sticker that could simply be a QC check sticker.
Manufacturer loudspeakers and amplifiers for the B & O company LEAR(For Audi A4, A5, Q5)
http://www.lear.com/en/electrical/audio.aspx

In new A6 and A7 is the producer of B & O but the price is $ 8000 ??
Old 07-24-2012, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CrustyNoodle
That is excellent Greg, really looking forward to hearing (no pun intended) how you go.
Well I ended up with a brand I knew nothing about, and still don't after doing a bit of googling... So at the risk of some guffaws and having the mickey taken...

The auto sound shop that helped me are a pretty clued up bunch, or so it would appear from all the trophys on display and magazine articles on award winning sound installs in frames on the walls of the customer area. Anyway, they were very helpful and we spent some time and tried a few brands to see if we could improve the bass. Fortunately swapping the unit out takes only a minute or so.

The winner was... Digital Designs (digital who? I asked) - a fairly nondescript 4 ohm speaker of 6.5" that fitted perfectly into the slot. No question about the improvement in bass, quite remarkable and not boomy boy racer thump but sharp and clear, and a bit of a kick in the back of the seat at higher volumes. After all bass should be felt a little, as much as heard. Like the B&O should have been. Matches the rest of the system really well and I am now happy with the sound with the bass at or just one notch past the mid 12 o clock. It was a unanimous consensus that this was the best speaker for the job. The sound shop was pretty amazed at the sound the B&O was producing, saying they rated it one of the best OEM systems they have ever heard. Never mind I had to point out to them that it was a Q5, not a Q7 :-)

Glad that the solution was a 4 ohm unit as this will not stress the amp either - peace of mind and same as original unit apparently. They did not advise a 2 ohm unit, saying the increased demand on the amp "is massive" - their words...

Not sure if it made a difference but they also lined as far as possible the inside of the wheel box with a sort of sound mat. Kinda like a thin rubber stuff.

Downside was that this speaker was not particularly cheap, equivalent of around $180 US, but that included their time and effort also. The speaker itself looks pretty bland, certainly nothing more spectacular that the original B&O. It is however noticeably heavier and with a larger diameter magnet. But what matters is that it thumps away without detracting in any way from the audiophile quality. I will keep the original sub safe in the cupboard for another day. Best part is the upgrade is 100% reversible if required, no cutting of wires or speaker housing, simple plug and play!

To anyone thinking about this, check with you local car audio guys and see if they are willing to work with you and actually test a few options. When one repeatedly and consistently stands out superior, you have a winner, regardless of brand or looks. Play the same song on one select CD, not MP3, repeatedly with each option and see what sounds best at various volumes. I can recommend Dire Straits, Tunnel of Love as the track for the testing (studio recording, not live).

Quick Reply: Subwoofer Upgrade Project