Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 12:56 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Sunroof Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sunroof Rattle

My panoramic sunroof was bothering the crap out of me this morning. It was cold and in the rear of the glass, the side frame was rattling over bumps really badly. Where the headliner meets the pano roof for the back section of the glass. right above the rear passenger light on the side. I tried to hold it and it stopped the rattle. But once I let go it came right back.

Anyone have this? Anyone get the dealer to fix it?

Also my sunroof rattles in the middle as well.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I had this problem as well. On the first dealer visit they lubricated the sunroof rails. Didn't work. On the second visit the dealer said there was a TSB on the issue to lubricates the entire sunroof assembly. That didn't work either. Before my 3rd visit I contacted AOA and explained that I wanted their help in ensuring my sunroof was fixed on the next visit. I worked with an Associate at AOA named Penny who contacted the Service Manager at my dealer to work through and monitor the effectiveness of the repair. This time they had to remove, realign and reinstall the sunroof and it finally fixed the issue with no problems since that time (6 weeks ago).

Not having that rattle makes a huge difference in my satisfaction with the Q5. I hope your dealer gets your fix right the first time, that didn't happen in my case. Its common sense but road test your vehicle extensively right after the repair and take the car back immediately if the rattle is still there. I made the mistake of trusting my dealer the first two times when they said it was "fixed" and wasted a bunch of time in the process. Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
My panoramic sunroof was bothering the crap out of me this morning. It was cold and in the rear of the glass, the side frame was rattling over bumps really badly. Where the headliner meets the pano roof for the back section of the glass. right above the rear passenger light on the side. I tried to hold it and it stopped the rattle. But once I let go it came right back.

Anyone have this? Anyone get the dealer to fix it?

Also my sunroof rattles in the middle as well.
I had the same rattle everytime it gets cold.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had a sunroof rattle start up about two weeks ago, and pointed it out to them when I took it in for my recent 5k visit.

Whatever it was they did seemed to have fixed it. I know they needed to keep it a little longer for them to take the glass off, but not sure exactly what it was they did.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

I hope Audi has this one figured out. My Q5 with <1000 km DOES NOT rattle, but my ML430 had an intermittent sunroof rattle that was maddening.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Same issue her with the pano roof rattling (more of a "creaking" noise, actually) when the temperature drops below 40 F. It's more pronounced when going over bumps and potholes.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This is one of the reason I dont like pano roofs. With a regular sunroof, usually if the roof creaks, I can open it and close it back to re-seat the glass. Cannot do that with the fixed piece of glass in the pano roof.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

16k miles on our 7 month old 2011 P+ and
no creaking from sunroof or seats or my bones (yet )
Old 12-13-2011, 02:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The wife notice the rattle the morning. The trouble appears to go away after applying upward pressure to the pano glass on my right rear passenger side right above the courtesy light. Here's hoping it won't return!
Old 12-23-2011, 04:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by geronimosan
I had a sunroof rattle start up about two weeks ago, and pointed it out to them when I took it in for my recent 5k visit.

Whatever it was they did seemed to have fixed it. I know they needed to keep it a little longer for them to take the glass off, but not sure exactly what it was they did.
They put grease on the rails to dampen the sound, but trust me the rattle/squeak will return. I am at the Audi USA level on this on this issue.

Quick Reply: Sunroof Rattle