Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 12:58 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Sunroof rattle fixed

Old 07-24-2012, 01:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof rattle fixed

Like many other Q5 owners on this forum, I have had a sunroof rattle that my dealer was unable to fix. After several tries that included various forms of lubrication and replacement of the sunroof seal, I wrote to Audi of America. The address for Audi of America is listed in your Warranty and Maintenance booklet that came with the car. In my letter, I documented all of the repair attempts and included copies of my vehicle's service history.

After receiving my letter, Audi promptly called the service manager at my dealer and the service manager arranged to attempt to fix the rattle again. When the Audi customer service rep. called me on the phone, I insisted that a local Audi rep. take ownership of this issue, because I believed that this was a problem that was beyond my dealer's ability to fix.

The customer service rep. then scheduled an "Audi engineer" to meet me at the dealer. The engineer confirmed the rattle and authorized the replacement of the entire sunroof assembly. This finally fixed the rattle.

So, for those of you that still have a sunroof rattle, I highly recommend writing to Audi of America and then insisting that an Audi rep. meet with you at the dealer. I believe that many dealers, like mine, are making good-faith efforts to fix the sunroof rattle, but it will take someone at Audi to authorize an expensive fix like replacing the entire sunroof. Good luck!
Old 07-24-2012, 05:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a small rattle that seems to come from the rear passenger side. Sometime it is there and sometimes it isn't. It seems to vary with the temperature. When it is hotter, you hear it less.

I don't know if this is in the sunroof, or if it is just a seatbelt or seat latch noise. It isn't bad enough for me to take it in, but I was wondering if others have a similar noise?
Old 07-24-2012, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am still getting rattles from sunroof after visiting dealer many times. At this point, I just gave up and waiting for the recall. There is recall to replace sunroof for Q5 build between June - December 2011. Recall notification will be mail out sometime early August. I have read the recall document online and also confirmed from my dealer's service manager. Hopefully that will fix the rattle.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I am also waiting on the sunroof recall. I had a rattle in the sunroof as well and the lead tech said it was the headliner or screw attempted to fix it. I think it has gotten worse. After 1 week at the dealer and getting the car back, I pulled out of the driveway. I retracted the mesh screen and the sunroof was rattle like crazy. After about 3 mins, I get on the highway and drove for 20 mins and the rattle is not there. I'm not sure if most say when it's cold. I live in Texas, so not sure if that means when the car is "cold". My car is back at the dealer again as of Monday. We'll see how it goes and I'll post.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

The sunroof recall - does that only affect cars in the USA or the world? I presume that they are all built in the same place (Ingolstadt, Germany) . If so this would potentially affect me - build date was Nov 2011..

I however live in a milder climate, temps drop below freezing only a few days each winter and then not by much.

Having seen from others pics just how much of the car must be disassembled for a pano roof repair/ replacement, I think I would try to avoid the recall request as far as is possible, assuming it even gets issued here where I live.

Ultimately Audi can't I believe, force anyone to have this work done, nor can they place an expiry date on the recall.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't know if ROW is involved but I believe the roof recall is to replace only the front panel. ( the one that moves ) This should be an easy fix campared to removing and replacing the entire pano roof assembly.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Posted too soon. Within a few days, the rattle returned. It is even worse than before. I brought the car back to the dealer, but the shop foreman told me that there is nothing more that can be done since they already replaced the entire sunroof frame during my previous visit. He tried to argue that rattling/creaking sounds are normal. I am thoroughly disappointed in Audi at this point.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Have you tried retracting the roof all the way and spraying the gasket well with dry silicone spray? That worked wonders for me.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Update...I finally got my car back this past Friday. My car has been at the dealer for 2 weeks again. Apparently my car has several rattle issues including sunroof, B pillar on driver's side, and seat belt bracket on the passenger side, along with the back speaker being loose on the driver's side. The dealer did the same thing putting anti-rattle tape, more foam and pulling the sunroof liner back and fixing it b/c it was touching the sunroof. All the noises went away for the one on the driver's side. It's still there and annoying, but I guess I need to live with it. The car has been at the dealer for a total of 3 weeks and still not fixed. For all those waiting on the sunroof recall, be aware that the recall dates are cars built from June 21 to Dec 9, 2011. My car was built on June 17! The dealer still can't believe the rattle b/c they can't pin point it. I asked him if anyone came in with this issue and he said no. I stated it happens to the Q5's b/c everyone here is posting about it. My neighbor has a 2010 Audi Q5 and has great reviews, so I bought the 2012. She has no issues, but I have all of these rattles. Maybe it's the 2012 model??? I'll contact Audi if I can't take the noise anymore. Does this fall under the Lemon Law? I haven't checked just yet. Good luck to all!
Old 08-15-2012, 10:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

SFolsom: I am having the same rattle/vibration/buzzing sound from rear driver side windows frame area; very close to the B-pillar. I already went to 3 different dealers many times but none of them can fix it. I also contacted AoA and they agreed to send a field engineer to take a look. My appoint is first week of September and will give you update.

As lemon law, it varies state to state. I checked NJ lemon law, it stated must be safty related. I don't think rattles is considered as a safty issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sunroof rattle fixed