Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 12:58 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Sunroof rattle fixed

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another update...all the noises are back on this car. It really sounds like the trim or window is loose on the driver's side and back passenger's side. I'm very disappointed in the Q5 having all these rattle issues and seriously considering trading this car in.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by calberk95
Posted too soon. Within a few days, the rattle returned. It is even worse than before. I brought the car back to the dealer, but the shop foreman told me that there is nothing more that can be done since they already replaced the entire sunroof frame during my previous visit. He tried to argue that rattling/creaking sounds are normal. I am thoroughly disappointed in Audi at this point.
Grettings from ............France

I am Chris and a new contributor to this forum.I am already registerd on the french version :Audi Passion and sent different post regarding this pity sunroof affair

My Q5 has the same trouble than yours for many many (too many ?) times
I stopped to follow the numbers of visits to Audi for this reason . Beginning of july , they accepted ( after Audi Ingolstadt autorization) to change the frame , result is worse and worse
I do not know how to push Audi to solve this issue rapidly , in another hand , i am close to sale it and change for another car wo sunroof
If you have some tips for me to force Audi , you re welcome
Old 12-06-2018, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Audi sunroof

Originally Posted by SFolsom
Another update...all the noises are back on this car. It really sounds like the trim or window is loose on the driver's side and back passenger's side. I'm very disappointed in the Q5 having all these rattle issues and seriously considering trading this car in.
I have the same problem. Audi had my car for a week 6months ago and after few weeks the rattling returned. They are now claiming out of warranty and that it did not have a sunroof service .The car was serviced by Audi and it is up to them to service what they see fit.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Mine is a 2014 Q5. Today I cycled the sunroof 3 times to try rid the sunroof rattle. Had the frame replaced under warranty in 2017. Starting rattling about a year after frame replacement. Bad design. Much worse during cold of winter. Yes, I have service dept do the lubrication each visit.

I contemplate in my mind of how to remove the felting and seals around the moving panel, close it one last time, then fill the gap around the moving panel with black silicone sealant and remove the sunroof fuse. If it rattles after that, I will drop the headliner and remove all the moving parts accessible from below. It is slow torture, its coming down to me or the Q5 sunroof winning....

I am also going to downgrade my 19" wheels to 18" when I need tires. The roads are getting so bad. It will be better for the chassis (both mine and the Q5's) to have some more cushion.

Last edited by DennisMitchell; 02-03-2019 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My sun rood rattles too. I bought a pray can of teflon dry lube. Sprayed the left read corner track and mechanism with no change. The next day sprayed the left front corner and it has been absolutely silent for 2 days now. When it stars to rattle again I now know where to focus my efforts with the OEM grease. The OEM grease is teflon based so that is what the choice of spray lube was based on.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have had sunroof rattles for years and years of fix attempts. A sunroof frame replacement worked for about a year, but recently the rattle came back. In a hail mary attempt, I bought the 2 tubes of oem lube paste and slathered it all over the areas recommended... and then some. I used a lot! To my surprise, the rattle is gone. Fornow...
Old 02-15-2019, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Yes I guess I've been blessed. 14 Tdi ,lots of miles, bad roads, Quebec, and never an issue.I follow the Audi maint.suggestion,use the magic German Lube - they know that stuff, can't remember the name but it's expensive and it works.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Can someone post the diagram of where to apply the lubricant (locations) on the sunroof? Thank you.

Last edited by DennisMitchell; 02-15-2019 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My sunroof shakes like an idiot too. Anyone figure out a way to fix it yet?
Old 02-16-2019, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Mine acts up when the air moisture gets higher. The recent monsoons here in LA have been wreaking havoc on the sunroof.
I just spray this $5 can of lube I get from Home Depot the entire length of the rail and sound be gone. Works like a charm.

Quick Reply: Sunroof rattle fixed