Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Sunroof window exploded at -18C... see pictures

Old 12-28-2011, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Was the car sitting outside. I noticed some pictures were in a garage and some outside????

I could not wait till I was able to afford homes with garages as I spent too many years watching the weather destroy my cars sitting outside. Now I am spoiled and will only settle for three car garages.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie
Was the car sitting outside. I noticed some pictures were in a garage and some outside????
Hi Reggie, the car is always outside. Pictures in the garage were taken after I brought it in to remove the glass.

My wife's Odyssey is usually in the garage since we take it more often with the 3 kids. I sure look forward to the day we have a double-garage.

UPDATE: Just spoke with my dealer, as always Audi Lauzon is nailing it. They sent my pictures to Audi and i was told everything is cool and will go under the warranty. They should receive the glass tomorrow and since it is half day tomorrow for them, will likely not have the Q5 back until Tuesday of next week.

They gave ma a 2012 A4 as a loaner. I don't like it as much as my Q5 in the snow but still a very nice car.

Seriously if you are in the montreal area and looking for an Audi - Lauzon is pretty good. I had a very good experience with Anik Boisclair when i bought it and now if you have any issue, ask for Daniel Campion - customer service at its best!
Old 12-28-2011, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Jacou21, sorry to hear about your incident. Was your pano roof tinted?
Old 12-28-2011, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacou21
Hi Reggie, the car is always outside. Pictures in the garage were taken after I brought it in to remove the glass.

My wife's Odyssey is usually in the garage since we take it more often with the 3 kids. I sure look forward to the day we have a double-garage.

UPDATE: Just spoke with my dealer, as always Audi Lauzon is nailing it. They sent my pictures to Audi and i was told everything is cool and will go under the warranty. They should receive the glass tomorrow and since it is half day tomorrow for them, will likely not have the Q5 back until Tuesday of next week.

They gave ma a 2012 A4 as a loaner. I don't like it as much as my Q5 in the snow but still a very nice car.

Seriously if you are in the montreal area and looking for an Audi - Lauzon is pretty good. I had a very good experience with Anik Boisclair when i bought it and now if you have any issue, ask for Daniel Campion - customer service at its best!
Congratulation on having such a great dealer
Old 12-28-2011, 12:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
Jacou21, sorry to hear about your incident. Was your pano roof tinted?
The sunroof comes already tinted from the factory, I didn't go after market to have it more tinted (it was already pretty good IMHO).

For what it's worth, it is an s-line - i think i read somewhere that the S-Line has a darker tint but i could be wrong.

thanks
Old 12-29-2011, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Shattered q5 sunroof....just happened to me too!

I'm in northern VT for a few days and the temp dropped to near zero F last night. When I got in the car today I found glass on the seats and looked up to discover the front sunroof shattered. Definitely not from anything hitting it.. I called the closest dealer in Burlington VT and was told I'm the 2nd call today with the same problem! Audi told him it is an air pressure issue, though seems to me low temp has to be the reason....he then said he needed to order the part from germany so he can't help me if i need it fixed right away. To make a long story short....after striking out with local dealer, roadside assistance, And my dealer in Boston I finally got satisfaction from Audi client relations who was able to convince roadside assistance to tow the car back to Boston and provide a free loaner. We'll see if it all actually happens tomorrow as promised. So far I give Audi a D for customer service...took 4 calls and raising my voice before they finally admitted they had to come get the car and give me a loaner so I can get home. I absolutely love this car otherwise...I hope this is just bad luck.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've also noticed increased noises coming from my pano roof during the cold winter months. My Q5 spends most of the time outside as well. Also, I don't open the roof during the winter months either.

After reading this thread yesterday, I decided to check the roof today. A few minutes after I left the house at 6am, I noticed the noises from the roof. It was much louder than usual (perhaps because it was so cold). I decided the open the roof. Fist a big "crack" but nothing broke (I assume it was the seal that came free in the cold). I then noticed that there were ice droplets formed on the inside of the rubberized edge that surrounds the glass. I quickly removed them. The noises went away for the most part afterwards!

Dunno if it was the cause of the other implosions of the pano roofs, but I think I'm now going to open my roof from time to time even during the winter months to get rid of that icing and the possible implosion.

YMMV.

Last edited by edwyun; 12-29-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

would this be something specific to 012 Q5's, and was anything changed from previous model years?
my Q has been through some cold the past winters and so have many others I assume, without any seemingly im- or exploding sunroofs.

just a thought or more like a big question..
Old 12-30-2011, 04:32 AM
Terlonz

Received 271 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by solucien
would this be something specific to 012 Q5's, and was anything changed from previous model years?
my Q has been through some cold the past winters and so have many others I assume, without any seemingly im- or exploding sunroofs.

just a thought or more like a big question..
Interesting point. I recall reading a few complaints in this thread about the roof rattling. Is it possible that they modified the design for 2012 to fix that? That could be what's leading to these failures. It would be interesting to hear if anyone with an earlier model experienced the same cold weather/water related failure.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

We went thru 2 New England winter with our 2010 Q5 and never had a problem with ice inside the seals or broken glass, we did have the pano roof rattling though. It is quite possible that Audi increase the gap between the roof and the glass to account for material expansion in an attempt to reduce the possibility of rattling. It almost seem like they created a more serious problem in an attempt to fix the rattling problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sunroof window exploded at -18C... see pictures