Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Swithing Out S-Line 20 inch summer tires for All season tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 07:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swithing Out S-Line 20 inch summer tires for All season tires

With winter coming I need to switch out my S Line 20 inch summer tires for an all season tire soon. Would rather stick with 20 inch all season tires than have to buy new 18 or 19 inch rims. I know smaller rims and tires size will work better on snow/ice, but any thoughts about using a 20 inch all season tire on the Q5? Will it make much difference?
Old 09-06-2010, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think it depends on the conditions which you will run them in.

Reggie in Colorado will be running all-seasons on 20" rims, but I wouldn't do that here in NJ/NY with the higher chance of damage from potholes (especially in the NYC outer boroughs).

Do you go to the mountains in the winter and how often?

-Dennis
Old 09-06-2010, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It all depends on your climate/intended use.

I run 20" S-Line summers and absolutely love them. They corner like a car and ride so smooth (even on bombed out Michigan roads) it's as though they were 17" A/S tires.

I was toying with the idea of running A/S tires on dedicated 19s for winter and both Tire Rack and Discount Tire talked me out of it. I ended up ordering Blizzak DM-V1's on 19" TTRS replicas from Hartman through AchTuning.

I realize I'm a bit obsessive (OK, completely hopeless), but I'm starting to think that what I need is 3 sets of wheels/tires. Summers, A/S, and winters

Last edited by ELEVENS; 09-06-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
It all depends on your climate/intended use.

I run 20" S-Line summers and absolutely love them. They corner like a car and ride so smooth (even on bombed out Michigan roads) it's as though they were 17" A/S tires.

I was toying with the idea of running A/S tires on dedicated 19s for winter and both Tire Rack and Discount Tire talked me out of it. I ended up ordering Blizzak DM-V1's on 19" TTRS replicas from Hartman through AchTuning.

I realize I'm a bit obsessive (OK, completely hopeless), but I'm starting to think that what I need is 3 sets of wheels/tires. Summers, A/S, and winters
Should have clarified, yes I have a 2nd home at Mammoth Lakes in the Eastern Siera Nevada's and spend 80+ days in winter conditions, which can include deep and wet snow and ice from late October thru April or May. However, I spend the rest of my time in LA, so I do not want to have to run smaller rims and tires for what could work out to be 8 months a year. I know the 20 inch summer Dunlops that came as part of the S Line package will be horrible and unsafe in snow, so I have to make a change.

In the past I have run Nokian WR's year round, sacrificed some summer performance for the convenince of not having to switch out rims and tires every year but with my S-Line and 20's, not sure if this approach will work out.

In any event, I am just wondering if a decent all weather tire like a Conti Extreme Contact DWS or Nokian WR on 20's will be noticeably different than running same on 18 or 19 inch rims during winter? Thanks.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Curious about this as well. Have the 20" with summer tires on my 2009. Considering putting all seasons on there at some point to make getting around in the NYC snow and ice a little safer.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Allraodgone
Should have clarified, yes I have a 2nd home at Mammoth Lakes in the Eastern Siera Nevada's and spend 80+ days in winter conditions, which can include deep and wet snow and ice from late October thru April or May. However, I spend the rest of my time in LA, so I do not want to have to run smaller rims and tires for what could work out to be 8 months a year. I know the 20 inch summer Dunlops that came as part of the S Line package will be horrible and unsafe in snow, so I have to make a change.

In the past I have run Nokian WR's year round, sacrificed some summer performance for the convenince of not having to switch out rims and tires every year but with my S-Line and 20's, not sure if this approach will work out.

In any event, I am just wondering if a decent all weather tire like a Conti Extreme Contact DWS or Nokian WR on 20's will be noticeably different than running same on 18 or 19 inch rims during winter? Thanks.
You better order the Conti DWS now (see my other posts on that) they are back ordered at Conti and only Tire Rack has them (in the 20" size)
I would suggest you try them and see if they work for you in the mountains. They will be a quiet long lasting tire.If you find they do not give you the confidence you need then bite the bullet and get dedicated snows and rims for those 80+ days on 18" rims (cheaper than putting larger rims for winter use) Anyway that you can use the 20" Contis in the fall and late spring in the mountains.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

[QUOTE=Reggie;24029599]You better order the Conti DWS now (see my other posts on that) they are back ordered at Conti and only Tire Rack has them (in the 20" size)
QUOTE]

Order placed today with Tirerack,$869 inclusing shipping, thanks.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I hope you guys that are ordering Conti DWS realize that if you wreck a tire (unrepairable puncture, sidewall bubble, belt separation, balance issue, out of round, etc.), you could easily face a situation where there is no replacement available for up to 3 months. I'm really glad I ordered 19" 235 Blizzaks, can't wait to smoke those 4WD pickup trucks at the traffic lights this winter
Old 09-08-2010, 12:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=Allraodgone;24029787]
Originally Posted by Reggie
You better order the Conti DWS now (see my other posts on that) they are back ordered at Conti and only Tire Rack has them (in the 20" size)
QUOTE]

Order placed today with Tirerack,$869 inclusing shipping, thanks.
probably too late, but I would have ordered genuine Audi 17"-wheels with 235/17/65 winter tyres for a minimal higher price
easy switch, by far cheaper tyres, better grip, regular wear and tear + you don't ruin the 20" in the salt
Old 09-08-2010, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

[quote=guyguyke;24029971]
Originally Posted by Allraodgone

probably too late, but I would have ordered genuine Audi 17"-wheels with 235/17/65 winter tyres for a minimal higher price
easy switch, by far cheaper tyres, better grip, regular wear and tear + you don't ruin the 20" in the salt
You live in a area different than a lot of US places. Colorado is very arid - rule of thumb is no new snow on old snow. So after it snows the roads are mostly clear in one day. and the ground clear in three (each year can be different). The fact though is we get to wash the car each week and salts are less of a issue. Also many states do not use salts or use them in minimal quantity (like CA)

In areas back east like Chicago and NY the weather is more harsh and going with smaller wheels makes more sense.

Quick Reply: Swithing Out S-Line 20 inch summer tires for All season tires