Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

T-Mobile Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-Mobile Issues

It seems my T-Mobile has stopped working in the car and won't allow me to access wi-if in the car or even access Audi-Connect. Before I call T-Mobile is there anything anyone has experienced that I may be able to try before I call?
The 2-3G icon on the lower right of the screen is grayed out.

Thanks
Old 11-28-2015, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by alvam
It seems my T-Mobile has stopped working in the car and won't allow me to access wi-if in the car or even access Audi-Connect. Before I call T-Mobile is there anything anyone has experienced that I may be able to try before I call?

Thanks
Happened to me. Go, close the account and Re-open it. That did the trick. Changing the sim, nor their customer assistance over the phone worked. I had to shut the plan down and re start one.They can do it at the store. Takes a few mins
Old 11-28-2015, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks. Any cost to this as it was prepaid for 4 years? Any documention I need to have with me?
Old 11-28-2015, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

That im not sure as I didn't have q contract. Sorry! You may be better off getting ahold of them via phone. The store fellas know nothing about the Audi deal.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

The connectivity aspect of Audi Connect is not directly managed by T-Mobile. You probably won't get far if you call T-Mobile or walk into one of their stores. You need to call RacoWireless on their dedicated Audi Connect phone number 1-877-AUDI (2834) Option #1 to get issues resolved properly. The T-Mobile and AT&T accounts used for Audi Connect are so called M2M (machine to machine) accounts. They fall outside the accounts that the main customer service and the stores deal with.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks
Not to be snarky - but have you tried the obvious? Remove the SIM, clean the contacts gently with a pencil eraser & reinsert the SIM.
I've had a similar problem on my Q7 & removing & reinserting the SIM always fixed it.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Cadx6
Not to be snarky - but have you tried the obvious? Remove the SIM, clean the contacts gently with a pencil eraser & reinsert the SIM.
I've had a similar problem on my Q7 & removing & reinserting the SIM always fixed it.
I did remove and air cleaned the SIM but did not employ the eraser trick. I will give that a try tonight but first will call the Audi Connect number to see how that does. Thanks
Old 12-01-2015, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I did remove and air cleaned the SIM but did not employ the eraser trick. I will give that a try tonight but first will call the Audi Connect number to see how that does. Thanks
It may very well be a T-Mobile problem - good luck with that.
I'm looking forward to a new generation Q7 that uses AT&T for data service. That way I can just add it to my existing Family Share plan for $10/mo. AT&T 4G service in my area on my "i" devices runs anywhere from 15 to 35 mbs. With T-Mobile 3G I'm lucky to see 3 mbs anywhere.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Cadx6
It may very well be a T-Mobile problem - good luck with that.
I'm looking forward to a new generation Q7 that uses AT&T for data service. That way I can just add it to my existing Family Share plan for $10/mo. AT&T 4G service in my area on my "i" devices runs anywhere from 15 to 35 mbs. With T-Mobile 3G I'm lucky to see 3 mbs anywhere.
You can use AT&T even now. If you have a 2013 you need a hardware exchange, but 2014+ work with AT&T out of the box. It's still 3G, up to HSPA+, though. I've had my RS5 on AT&T for about a year. I just activated a SIM from a spare tablet and stuck it into the MMI. T-Mo sucks around here. I've been much happier with it since I switched to AT&T.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Chipmakers all say that cleaning the contacts (and that would include SIM chips) with a PINK eraser will damage it. The pink erasers contain abrasives and they damage the extremely thin gold or tin electroplate on contacts, which allows more corrosion to form in the damages.

The trick is to use a WHITE vinyl eraser, they cost little more and all they do is roll the dirt off, they aren't abrasive at all. That's what the "refill" sticks in drafting erasers are. Some of the throwaway mechanical pencils also come with WHITE erasers instead of the pink ones.

A little plain isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol, plain rubbing alcohol) on a clean paper towel will clean them off equally well.

Quick Reply: T-Mobile Issues