Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

TDI or 3.0T for towing?

Old 08-17-2017, 08:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TDI or 3.0T for towing?

I'm seeking opinions regarding a replacement for our '05 Touareg V8. At 118k, we've spent >$2,500 getting the CEL off so it would pass emissions. Less than a week after it passed, the light is back on, so it's time to move on.

I frequently use a ~2,500-3,500 cargo trailer to haul laser lighting equipment for trips up to 500 miles. For smaller shows I use my '12 BMW 535 X-Drive. It produces 300 hp & 300 ft.-lbs torque. Its Execuhitch is rated to tow 4,400 lbs, but with a tongue weight of only 220-250 lbs, so for larger events I've been using the Touareg (310 hp, torque 302, & dismal fuel economy).

We also occasionally tow a 21' ski boat, 4,000 lbs on the trailer, tongue weight ~ 325 lbs., maybe twice a year for distances less than 50 miles. Of course I don't use the BMW to tow the boat.

My wife has been a saint and has been driving the Touareg since VW bought back her Jetta TDI. Both of us would prefer to have something smaller than the Treg, so we're considering a Q5. We don't want any new car payments so we've narrowed the field down to '13's-14's. I'm familiar with Dieselgate regarding the 2.0 engines, realize many 3.0 TDI's have been bought back, and those selling theirs now are commanding a premium. I think a 3.0T would be adequate for our needs, but also think the extra torque of the diesel would be better. On paper, the hybrid's 354 ft.-lbs would be good, but I seriously doubt if the electric motor and battery can deliver that torque for long periods.

FWIW, we'd prefer a Prestige model, but I'd consider a Premium Plus. I'm an admitted audio snob so B&O audio is a requirement.

Thanks for any insight or comments.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the exact dilmma...I had a 2009 VW Touareg TDI, which was a monster for a tow vehicle! I loved it.
I race a Porsche, and would tow all over the East Coast to different race venues.

I now have a 2014 SQ5. But, it really can't be used as a tow vehicle. The problem is that the SQ5 has too short of a wheelbase, and it doesn't weigh enough.
It's a really bad combination...Nobody should really consider towing a 3,000 lbs race car, on a 1,000 lbs trailer, with a car that weighs about the same 4,000 lbs.
I know the SQ5 really weighs closer to 4,500 lbs, and there's such a thing as tongue weight...but it's just not a smart setup.
I truly miss that Touareg...even if it did have the diesel-gate issue!

Jason
New York
Old 08-17-2017, 02:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks, Jason. I hadn't really considered wheelbase. My 5-Series has a 116.9" wheelbase, & the Q5 is 110.5. But the Treg is only 112.4. Of course it outweighs the Q5 by ~1,000 lbs. Is your car trailer single or double axle? My boat trailer is double axle & the cargo trailer is single.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

merton previous comments re "wheelbase" are very valid.However I will chime in in favour of the Tdi.With towing torque is king.Brakes are kinda important as well.I've dragged a decent load, 3800lb.boat, around and my Tdi is no doubt vastly superior to my F150 5.0L.I'd keep a close eye on the tongue weight tho.325 lbs might make your rear suspension cry a bit and also exacerbate the impacts of a short wheelbase as mentioned.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks, Murray. Do y'all think I'm correct in eliminating the hybrid from consideration? Looks like all things equal the TDI will cost an extra $5k or so, but I think engine-wise it would be the better choice.

BTW, I had an '86 GTV-6. Would love to have another, but not as a daily driver like my first one.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Also, I'm not finding many Prestige TDI's available. Other than B&O audio, what other options are we missing out on, or should we look for, with a Premium Plus?
Thanks
Old 08-17-2017, 10:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by merton
Thanks, Murray. Do y'all think I'm correct in eliminating the hybrid from consideration? Looks like all things equal the TDI will cost an extra $5k or so, but I think engine-wise it would be the better choice.

BTW, I had an '86 GTV-6. Would love to have another, but not as a daily driver like my first one.
Hybrid tows fine for me. Boat I tow is single axle, low 3,000 pound range with trailer and gear. I try to tow with 45 gallon boat tank at ¼ or less until near destination. Tows as well or better than prior Sienna V6 minivan w/ Class II hitch, and different league than old 3.8L Chrysler Town & Country minivan where brakes weren't even slightly ready for towing, even after retrofitting trailer brakes and getting it with the "tow package." Both minivans were AWD too. Audis with factory type hitch wiring set ups also have the ESP trailer mode to litigate sway--which I really haven't had w/ my set up across the variety of tow vehicles.

The hybrid power overboost is for 10-15 seconds, which is often just about what you need to get things moving before it drops back to the "normal torque"--like getting onto freeway, getting going up a grade, and so on. Brakes are also the upsized ones of TDI and 3.0T. Also towed with D3 A8 W12 wth Euro hidden hitch. Latter is smoother--with all of longer wheelbase, wider track, air ride, and a whole lot of of torque.

In general, I guess I do start to question some using a Q5 as you get to the 4,000 pound range and over 20 feet. At some point of in emergency situations could be risk of trailer starting to out wrestle tow vehicle. Feels more like Q7/Touareg, but then w/ downsides of fuel suck and more trucky. FWIW boat I tow is 16+ feet, with the 115 outboard about 2-3 feet more off back end, tongue balanced to low 200 lb. range. 3.0T (or TDI) would make a lot of sense of course, but wife wanted the Hybrid when it came out after tiring of minivans and their size, bulk and mediocre MPG's.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-18-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Merton,

My trailer is a double axle.

Jason
New York
Old 08-18-2017, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Ok merton let's highjack your thread and talk about the joys of the 2.5L Busso in the Gtv6.Mine's not my daily but I often take her on extended trips to northern Quebec on business.2k miles no problem she sings a sweet song.For towing not so much.But really if you want the best Audi vehicle ever sold in N.A.with excellent towing abilty go for the Tdi.point finale.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The only issue I've ever had towing with my Q5 is braking, but that is to be expected. the tdi motor has so much torque and passing power. Barely needs to downshift.

And the fuel economy is insane.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TDI or 3.0T for towing?