Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

TDI destroys 3.0T in 8th Gear Acceleration!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sarchib
Mark P., I was traveling from Houston, Tx to Hershey, Pa for an annual car show on 10/10. Tried to maintain between 70-75 mph and on cruise where it was prudent. My highest mileage was attained (35.7 mpg) on my return trip to Houston (10/13) where I deliberately drove no faster than the posted limits in Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, & Texas. 614 miles and 17.2 gal. Very impressed with mileage, torque, and ease of driving.
That's awesome! You could have hit 700 miles on that tank had you continued (though likely lower MPG assuming you had returned home and would be doing more stop/go)

Congrats
Old 11-30-2013, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
The thread title might be viewed as challenging to those who have the 3.0t which might prompt opposite viewpoints.
Yep, and the response could be "so what". Who would ever do this in the real world?
Old 11-30-2013, 10:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by acadianbob
Yep, and the response could be "so what". Who would ever do this in the real world?
agreed!

counter point, see attached - audi detuned stock 3.0t; I have a duplicate to q5 in video

each Q5 has it's strengths;
Old 11-30-2013, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Expert

The real world reflection is that this is an indication of what most every gear is like when cruising and the auto tranny selects the highest gear for the speed in both vehicles. The result is low rpm cruising and thus without downshifting, the TDI really shines and acceleration is effortless. The data quantifies what TDI owners have described qualitatively in words such as "effortless" before.

If you haven't already, please see all of the comparisons I did, most of which the 3.0T edges out the TDI:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?p=24512811

I used the 3.0T as a comparison as that's what I had as a loaner, and it's also the best matched. If I had an SQ5 loaner, I would have used that

And finally, this particular comparison came out partially as a result of the CNET video (below) that claimed the TDI was "flat footed" in "top gear" at "freeway" speeds. The discussion that followed that video being posted resulted in members here theorizing that despite his comment, the TDI was possibly the *quickest* of the Q5 models in such a "top gear" in "freeway" speeds. So this data shows how the the TDI compares to the 3.0T. The 2.0T and Hybrid likely fall below the 3.0T, so all that remains is evaluating an SQ5 in the same scenario.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess you must drive on a racetrack everywhere you go?

The reality of the situation is, on the highway, if you need to speed up to close a gap or quickly accelerate, the amount of time it takes for the transmission to downshift and give the 3.0t its power, the tdi is already there. Now of course if you downshift before hand the 3.0t will pull hard if its up in its rev range but then your gas mileage suffers and it won't be small hit.

I also believe constantly having your transmission shift gears decreases the longevity of it.

I don't know what world you live in but the fact of the matter is, top gear acceleration is very real world.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What this thread shows me is why the Q5 is so popular and sells/re-sells so well -- choice.

I've been what some would call an auto enthusiast for the better part of 3 decades, yet I can't recall any vehicle that's capable of crossing over (no pun intended ) to cover such a wide market.

You want a solid, reasonably efficient, reasonably powerful, fun to drive, well-equipped car? 2.0T. Hundreds of thousands of satisfied customers.

Diesels for sure have a huge following, and rightfully so. Audi drops one of the best diesels around in the 3.0TDI in the Q5 , and it totally transforms the car in the eye of the buyer. There's a huge diesel market out there, yet surprisingly few well done examples.

With the 3.0T, they put one of the sweetest force-fed gas engines around, with tons of tuning potential, and they attract guys like me -- those that can't leave well enough alone. Mine will be tuned & running a new blower pulley shortly. Who the hell modifies an SUV? A whole slew of guys that need space and still want fun... Which leaves the SQ5 - the 3.0T with tuning and factory warranty delivered to your door. A completely different experience yet again from the other choices.

As an engineer myself, I can't imagine the difficulty in coming up with such a solid platform. A car that can handle such a wide range of defining powerplants, and do them all so well.

Which leaves the hybrid. I know there are a few hybrid owners on this board, but I haven't read enough to know how it's fairing in the sales/satisfaction dept.

...sorry for the topic derail. I think it was already derailed.... but I couldn't help but note that we all seem to be very happy and passionate with our choices even though we seem to be looking for completely different things in the same car.

Last edited by BlackSVT; 12-02-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Agreed completely

And to be fair, I am historically one that highly modifies for performance, yet wants utilitarian combination included. Thus my Stg3 S4 Avant - amazing at everything it did. Faster than most corvette's at the dragstrip (11.7@122), snowtires for amazing winter driving, multiple days at Lime Rock / VIR / Road Atlanta, wagon for all the stuff, rack on top for bikes/boards, etc.

So I certainly appreciate the modified 3.0T Q5s out there

And likewise the reasons for the others. It really does hit many markets in that regard and explains why it's sales are on par with the A4, which boggled my mind when I first heard that.