Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Technical specifications - mistake

Old 02-11-2018, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

That "secret space" in the US comes with a storage tray in it. Good place to keep the polish, or reflectors, or whatever other things you'll rarely need and only for the car. I don't think we count anything "below the floor" as part of the storage space in the US. Perhaps one country measures with "cubic liters" of foam, to see how many they can stack, while the other measures (literally) with ping pong ***** and sees many they can pour in. Using a measuring tape and computing the area of irregular shapes might require, you know, special math skills.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
That "secret space" in the US comes with a storage tray in it. Good place to keep the polish, or reflectors, or whatever other things you'll rarely need and only for the car. I don't think we count anything "below the floor" as part of the storage space in the US. Perhaps one country measures with "cubic liters" of foam, to see how many they can stack, while the other measures (literally) with ping pong ***** and sees many they can pour in. Using a measuring tape and computing the area of irregular shapes might require, you know, special math skills.
I have seen 2 different boot configurations but I would assume that there is a 3 one with more boot space.:
The mmi which has the extra bass speaker and spare wheel, comes with the storage tray. I would assume that this model has no secret space apart than the usual tray and normal boot floor level.
The Q5 with the radio concert does not have this bass speaker, and does not have the spare wheel, thus more boot space. However my Q5 has the secret space all along the length and the width of the boot floor, still the boot level is the same as above. I would assume that there is a third option one with the boot level approximately 20 cm below the usual floor level which does not include the secret space, but only with radio concert option. Seen something similar with the Q3 at Audi car exhibit. Two Q3s with different boot level. unless this secret space counts as extra boot space, which is more than the Q5 boot space with the mmi option (bass speaker and spare wheel)

Last edited by apoelistas; 02-11-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
I don't think we count anything "below the floor" as part of the storage space in the US.
Honda does, as per the links I posted above.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

"The Q5 with the radio concert does not have this bass speaker,"
In the US, the 2014 Premium Plus, which only has the stock AMI and "Concert Sound" system, very much had the fake sub-woofer and a collapsible spare both installed under the load floor. (I say fake sub-woofer because the system STILL doesn't product 50-hertz bass tones and I'll bet it doesn't get under 150Hz even with a tailwind, so to speak) and of course the extra tray, which also makes it a RFPITA to access the battery and widgets for the spare. At least, i think they are down there, I really ought to check, haven't looked under that far in three years.

Pete-
If all that odd empty space counts...Damn, here I thought I was being clever by using the two inches forward of the spare tire as a place to store radio antennas! I have been SO tempted to just *hitcan that monstrous spare and subwoofer, and gain the space....but I know as soon as I did that, I'd wind up needing it to limp home after a sidewall cut. (Never have had one yet, but I have that kind of luck.)
Old 02-11-2018, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Boot space: second photo with 920 mm depth (normal cargo area)
730 liters.

First photo:
Boot space until the boot separator cover (50cm height) when installed is about 500 liters.

Audi reports boot volume 550 liters using first photo but using a more accurate method.

Mystery solved.

Last edited by apoelistas; 02-12-2018 at 01:30 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by apoelistas
Maybe this is usuful. .
SAE J1100 has some pretty detailed diagrams on how to measure various things on vehicles. This is an older version:
https://law.resource.org/pub/us/cfr/...j1100.1984.pdf

Maybe someone has a (free) link to the most recent one?
Old 02-11-2018, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
SAE J1100 has some pretty detailed diagrams on how to measure various things on vehicles. This is an older version:
https://law.resource.org/pub/us/cfr/...j1100.1984.pdf

Maybe someone has a (free) link to the most recent one?
That is so cool. Amazing the regulations we have...
Old 02-12-2018, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Yes, if you are asking about A5 sportback specifically, because if I am not mistaken, in that car the rear shelf is removable, so theoretically you could carry a taller object, all the way to the ceiling.

In the A4/A6 that rear shelf is not removable, so the space above it is not counted toward trunk/cargo space.
You think he can put something here
Attached Thumbnails Technical specifications - mistake-screenshot035.jpg  

Last edited by spijun; 02-12-2018 at 04:39 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by spijun
You think he can put something here
He can, once he removes that shelf...

Old 02-12-2018, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

He can, once he removes that shelf...
Do you know the size of that space?

Please go to the nearest Audi salon and see what you write about the space in A5 without shelf

Attached Thumbnails Technical specifications - mistake-screenshot036.jpg  

Last edited by spijun; 02-12-2018 at 05:05 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Technical specifications - mistake