Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

How can I get rid of this ASK A QUESTION popup?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Default How can I get rid of this ASK A QUESTION popup?

How can I get rid of this ASK A QUESTION popup?

And how can I get rid of the YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN THIS RELATED THREAD EVEN IF IT IS VERY MUCH AND HASN'T HAD A POST IN A YEAR nonsense as well?
Old 02-12-2018, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Try an AdBlock program. If you use Chrome you can install an extension called "AdBlock". it works great. I haven't seen an Ad, or video Ad on youtube in over a year. Makes me hate to use youtube on my phone. I only say to try this because I do not see the "ASK A QUESTION" or the "RELATED THREAD" pop up.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah. No.
I have browsers set up for different purposes, and don't need adblocks in any of them. In fact, most adblocks basically kill JavaScript and that has mixed benefits. In my default browser (here) I have all active scripting killed anyway, so ads are normally blocked.
But today this forum has gone beyond the usual. They've broken the browser's automatic log-in to the forum. They've added the damned new ASK AN EXPERT pop-up, which I think is part of the log-in complication. And whatever they are doing, the REPLY box takes a good two minutes to appear, or won't appear until some time after REPLY is selected.

ADMINISTRATORS PLEASE NOTE, YOU'VE MADE A REAL DOGS' DINNER OUT OF THE FORUM.

And no, it hasn't been any change on my end. WTF can't people just leave well enough alone? What, someone was complaining the previous setup of the forum didn't work well enough as it was?
Old 02-13-2018, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't find a User setting to prevent the Ask A Question box and end up minimizing it at logon every time. I never plan to use it.

To disable Related Threads feature -
Select: "User CP" (Control Panel) upper left
Under "Settings & Options"
Edit Options: Thread Display Options (towards the bottom) - disable "Related Threads".

I also use an ad blocker plug-in for Chrome but the features you mentioned are not blocked by it. Currently on this page is shows 18 blocks.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks dret!
Old 02-13-2018, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks, guys.
I checked in two browsers today. The faster one took nearly 20 seconds (and yes, my download speeds are fine, in fact they are FCC monitored to confirm that speed) before the first nag box. And in the less restricted browser, ROFLMAO, A SPECIAL OFFER JUST FOR ME! came from some local FORD dealer. How very appropriate for an Audi forum, perhaps they datamine for folks who have expressed discontents?(G)
It only take 30 seconds to wait for the forum to open and manually log in now, something that used to happen without any intervention in perhaps 5?

So the forum now violates the "elevator rule" by a full 100%. (The elevator rule being how long the average urban dweller will wait for an elevator before they seek other means, or decide to relocate to an office building that has better service. 15 seconds is considered the longest allowable wait, and that also used to be the norm for loading web pages, for the same reason, tolerable patience.)

Ah well. Good thing this place serves cheap drinks. (G)