Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Technical specifications - mistake

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
But it does not specify how that cargo volume was calculated. That is my point. Based on the other number I showed you (17.6), what do you make of this 19.4 number?
The VDA standard was originally published by the German Association of the Automotive Industry (Verband der Automobilindustrie, VDA). It was later incorporated into the international ISO standards and is part of the German standard DIN (Deutsche Institut für Normung). Not only a favourite for German brands, the VDA method also tends to be the approach taken by many other European, Japanese and Korean manufacturers too.

Calculating the volume of the boot space is done by literally filling it with one-litre blocks measuring 200mm x 50mm x 100mm. The amount of those blocks that can fit inside the boot at one time is the VDA number. As you might imagine it’s like an oversized puzzle with different stacking configurations likely to affect the outcome, so perfecting the loading technique is vital.

For hatchback cars or SUVs which have a more open luggage area, compared to the fully enclosed boot of a sedan, there are sometimes a few different luggage capacity numbers quoted in a single brochure. Typically they would be the volume of the luggage area up to the top of the rear seat, the volume up to this height with the rear seats folded down and the “maximum cargo volume” which is with seats folded down and loaded to the roof.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
17,6 is not a factory information, but 19,4

Last edited by spijun; 02-13-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
17,6 is not a factory information, but 19,4
Both numbers are stated on the official MBUSA website. I did not make them up. If the 17.6 number refers to "behind rear seat, below cargo cover", then what does the 19.4 number refer to?

I am pretty sure I know the answer, but since you don't believe me, then you should probably call up MB and ask them.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Both numbers are stated on the official MBUSA website. I did not make them up. If the 17.6 number refers to "behind rear seat, below cargo cover", then what does the 19.4 number refer to?

I am pretty sure I know the answer, but since you don't believe me, then you should probably call up MB and ask them.
I do not need to call anyone, on the mercedes.de page it says: 550lit ( mercedes.uk , mercedes,ch .....and RoW same 550 lit = 19,4 ft-cu)

Cargo volume (Manufacturer): 19,4

The manufacturer is in Mercedes Stuttgart, Mercedes USA is only a dealer for USA. It is the information of the manufacturer, dozens of engineers, designers ... people who designed and produced a car, and not those who sell and sit in offices

Last edited by spijun; 02-13-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Again, " If the 17.6 number refers to "behind rear seat, below cargo cover", then what does the 19.4 number refer to?"
Old 02-13-2018, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

19.4 is the correct = 550 liters (boot floor to boot cover behind rear seats). I would assume rear seats more verical less comfortable position (rear seats have 2 position configurations) in order to yield the 550 liters (19.4 cuf) figure.

have not seen the 17.6 cuf boot capacity anywhere yet. Would the second seat position yield 17.6 cuf boot capacity?

Last edited by apoelistas; 02-13-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by apoelistas
have not seen the 17.6 cuf boot capacity anywhere yet.
Look at the screenshot I posted earlier from mbusa.com website.

It's also in the PDF brochure:
https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/Digital...s/2018_GLC.pdf
Old 02-13-2018, 11:48 AM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

At the end of the day, whether it is 17 or 19 liters starts to become academic. Think about it... we are talking ONE 2-liter bottle of (Coke, Pepsi, Dr Pepper, Sprite, Vodka, Wine Cooler... choose your poison) (((EDIT: OOPS - My Bad: It was pointed out that this is NOT liters but Square Cubic Feet... So, let me restate this... we are talking about 2.2 cubic FEET. Officially, American Airlines says a carry-on suitcase is about 1.6 cubic feet. That means we are talking a carry-on, and a large purse... but the point continues.)))

I remember a commercial many years ago when an auto maker used soccer ***** (or Ping Pong, or Tennis *****... cant remember) to show how big the interior of the car was. The smaller the ball, the more accurate the total measurement is, BUT it can end up measuring useless space.

What REALLY matters is:
I can fit my suitcases in the back?
Do my fishing poles, tents, and backpacks fit (without breaking the poles)?
Does the supplies for my Kayak fit (and my Kayak on Top)?

Last edited by timshuwy; 02-13-2018 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Look at the screenshot I posted earlier from mbusa.com website.

It's also in the PDF brochure:
https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/Digital...s/2018_GLC.pdf
Thanks it is good to compare GLC 500 liter (17.6cuf) vs Q5 550 liter (19.4 cuf) boot volume. I thought Mercedes copied not only the external design of Q5 but also the dimensions .
Old 02-13-2018, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Suitcases? Or as I once found out, if you can't fit an upright paper grocery bag in without crushing the eggs....These and other rude surprises.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by timshuwy
At the end of the day, whether it is 17 or 19 liters starts to become academic. Think about it... we are talking ONE 2-liter bottle of (Coke, Pepsi, Dr Pepper, Sprite, Vodka, Wine Cooler... choose your poison).
It's not liters. It's cubic feet. 2 cubic feet is about 57 liters, or 15 US gallons.

But yes, your point is understood - the actual numbers don't matter as much as the actual shape of the cargo space. If I'm trying to figure out if a particular trunk will work for me, I go into the dealership and look at it in person. The numbers on paper are secondary.

Quick Reply: Technical specifications - mistake