AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/)
-   -   Tensioner/ Timing Chain Class Action Settlement (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/tensioner-timing-chain-class-action-settlement-2949699/)

Mythdoc 05-18-2018 01:37 PM

Tensioner/ Timing Chain Class Action Settlement

Valid for 2010-2012 Q5 2.0 TSI and many other models, thus, may affect quite a few who have posted here. I preventatively replaced the tensioner in my son’s Tiguan and may be able to get reimbursed.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...-lawsuit.shtml

A customer will be reimbursed 100 percent of the paid dealer invoice amount for the covered part(s) and labor repairs or replacement of the timing chain tensioner at an authorized Audi or Volkswagen dealer within 10 years or 100,000 miles (whichever occurs first) from date the vehicle went into service.

If repaired at an independent service center, a customer will receive a refund of the paid invoice amount for the covered parts and labor, up to $1,100.

For timing chain replacements, customers will be reimbursed 100 percent of the paid dealer invoice amount for the covered part(s) and labor repairs or replacement of the timing chains at authorized Audi or Volkswagen dealers within 10 years or 100,000 miles (whichever occurs first) from date the vehicles went into service.

If repaired at an independent service center, a customer will receive a refund of the paid invoice amount for the covered parts and labor, up to $1,500. If both the chain and tensioner were replaced, reimbursement is up to $2,000.

If a customer had the engine replaced due to damage from the timing chain or timing chain tensioner, the owner or lessee will be reimbursed 100 percent of the invoice amount subject to time and mileage qualifications.

If repaired at an independent service center, the customer will receive a reimbursement of no more than $6,500, subject to time/mileage limits.

jasonhurst21 05-18-2018 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mythdoc (Post 25154612)
Valid for 2010-2012 Q5 2.0 TSI and many other models, thus, may affect quite a few who have posted here. I preventatively replaced the tensioner in my son’s Tiguan and may be able to get reimbursed.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...-lawsuit.shtml

Cool.

What about vehicles over 100,000 miles with the defective tensioner?
If I'm reading correctly, you could still take it to an Independent and get reimbursed up to $2,000 for the chain and tensioner. I'm coming up on a 115,000 mile service and this would be great to tack on.

MurrayA4 05-18-2018 02:34 PM

Jason be careful with this,timing chain failure doesn't usually just involve that component system, it usually scraps a bunch of valves and 2K isn't going to begin to cover the cost of that.

Redd 05-18-2018 03:02 PM

Jason, the way I'm reading that, is that VWG is saying pretty much outright that after ten years or 100k miles, if you haven't replaced those parts, that's TFB, not their problem.

All timing belts, chains, tensioners, etc. have a finite life and replacing them at 50-60,000 miles is not unusual preventive maintenance. If the maker tells the owner outright "never will need replacement" that would be something else again.

MurrayA4 05-18-2018 04:16 PM

And oil quality and frequency of replacement plays a huge role in timing chain durability.Unfortunately the earlier 2.0L issues go beyond this.and component replacement is the only solution.

rez 05-18-2018 06:53 PM

Is this for Canada as well?

apoelistas 05-18-2018 08:22 PM

In one year my Q5 will have it's 10 year anniversary. Doubt that Audi (CY) will send me any letter for preventive TCT repairs/replacements. I hope this applies to EU countries (world-wide recall) too and is not region locked.

​​​​

rdA4WtQ5 05-19-2018 02:05 AM

Great news! Will be nice to have these parts replaced proactively and have it covered. Probably help the re-sale value as well once fully settled and the word gets out.

jasonhurst21 05-21-2018 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Redd (Post 25154654)
Jason, the way I'm reading that, is that VWG is saying pretty much outright that after ten years or 100k miles, if you haven't replaced those parts, that's TFB, not their problem.

All timing belts, chains, tensioners, etc. have a finite life and replacing them at 50-60,000 miles is not unusual preventive maintenance. If the maker tells the owner outright "never will need replacement" that would be something else again.

The Q5's on this list are 7-9 years old - I'd think most are over 100,000 miles by now with the original tensioner.

As the potential settlement states, Audi mentions nothing in the maintenance schedule. I don't see why an owner would replace these parts unless:
1. You measure timing chain stretch
2. You knew about this potential issue when the engine was open for the oil consumption recall
3. Audi picks up the tab

Redd 05-21-2018 09:31 AM

Whether it has a belt, a chain, or magic threads, if the car has an "interference" engine, as VW's and Honda's do, it is going to be a much more expensive job if that timing chain snaps--and the engine chews itself up. Lost a timing belt on a non-interference engine (typical Detroit & most of Japan) and you simply can't run the engine, all you are out is the price of a tow, over the belt replacement being done on schedule. With the interference engine, you will be in for WAY more than the cost of the tow. And the inevitable errors that happen when mechanics are rebuilding an engine.

Of course if you're a gentle driver, and a lucky one, the timing chain may last forever. I suspect a lot of owners would just run it until something happens, and if it does happen, they'd just trade in the car and eat the loss.