Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Tensioner/ Timing Chain Class Action Settlement

Old 09-02-2018, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo?

I have a 2011 q5 with 69k miles I Parked it and the next day did not start,the check engine and epc light came on. I towed it to an Audi service center and it turned out the timing chain the cylinders and turbo went..I had the q5 for a year bought it at an Acura dealer 1 owner 63k miles. I put a warranty on the engine..they covered the cylinders and timing chain,tensioner but not the turbo. Can I file for 4,132$ that I payed out of pocket for the turbo?
Old 09-02-2018, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

[QUOTE=jasonhurst21;25155713]Here's the payout tiers per Volkswagen and Audi Timing Chain Lawsuits: FAQ's - Webster Book LLP
I have a 2011 q5 with 69k miles I Parked it and the next day did not start,the check engine and epc light came on. I towed it to an Audi service center and it turned out the timing chain the cylinders and turbo went..I had the q5 for a year bought it at an Acura dealer 1 owner 63k miles. I put a warranty on the engine..they covered the cylinders and timing chain,tensioner but not the turbo. Can I file for 4,132$ that I payed out of pocket for the turbo?
Old 09-02-2018, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I read the complete document that was just sent to me last night. Our car fits this criteria, and have the following concerns. Likely will call the hotline this week.

1. Pre-emptive repairs may or may not be covered. I read they are NOT covered.
2. Repairs not completed by an "authorized" shop are not specifically mentioned in this class action and may not be covered. Meaning the work a person performs him/herself may not be covered. pre-emptive or not.
3. A car must fail with the tensioner or chain in order to be covered.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

[QUOTE=Aries A;25204372]
Originally Posted by jasonhurst21
Here's the payout tiers per Volkswagen and Audi Timing Chain Lawsuits: FAQ's - Webster Book LLP
I have a 2011 q5 with 69k miles I Parked it and the next day did not start,the check engine and epc light came on. I towed it to an Audi service center and it turned out the timing chain the cylinders and turbo went..I had the q to5 for a year bought it at an Acura dealer 1 owner 63k miles. I put a warranty on the engine..they covered the cylinders and timing chain,tensioner but not the turbo. Can I file for 4,132$ that I payed out of pocket for the turbo?
Legally if you can prove that turbo failed due to the timing chain tensioner failure (cause effect) which was covered by audi, then yes but that would mean that you have to hire a lawyer. Technically I don't know how a turbo can fail if tensioner or timing chain fails in order to justify this in the court, thus you will need an experts opinion. Turbo age could be taken into account (life of turbo in km in order to justify payout percentage)

My house neutral failed due to a fault of electricity authority. I was paid for all electricity damages for recovery minus depreciation due to use. So there should be a depreciation due to turbo usage/life remaining.

​​​​​

Last edited by apoelistas; 09-02-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks I will seek for a professional opinion or help
Old 09-02-2018, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

[QUOTE=apoelistas;25204401]
Originally Posted by Aries A

Legally if you can prove that turbo failed due to the timing chain tensioner failure (cause effect) which was covered by audi, then yes but that would mean that you have to hire a lawyer. Technically I don't know how a turbo can fail if tensioner or timing chain fails in order to justify this in the court, thus you will need an experts opinion. Turbo age could be taken into account (life of turbo in km in order to justify payout percentage)

My house neutral failed due to a fault of electricity authority. I was paid for all electricity damages for recovery minus depreciation due to use. So there should be a depreciation due to turbo usage/life remaining.

​​​​​
Tensioner fails, timing belt skips a few teeth, pistons hits exhaust valves (this is an interference fit engine), broken piece of exhaust valve, or valve seat, can enter the turbo and cause damage.
That will a very tough one to prove..............
Old 09-03-2018, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When we had the pistons and rings replaced, we had the timing chain done preventatively since we had 100k miles and the engine was already apart amd
cover open. They then had to pull the front end back apart because the timing chain cover was leaking because they reused it. Should get reembursed for both. We paid for half that 2nd repair.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm in the same situation. The pistons and rings were done as good will by Audi (early production 2012, not part of that class action) and the service advisor mentions, while we're there, we've seen some issues with timing chains, you could consider replacing it. Same for the water pump.

It would be great if they paid me back. My bigger concern is do I have to worry about the replacement parts leading to a timing chain failure. Piston repairs, timing chain, and water pump replacement were done about a year ago. When did they start using the improved parts?
Old 09-03-2018, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

My 2009 2.0T Q5 (EU model) had the engine rebuilt in December 2016 at 65K km due to oil consumption. At the same time dealership changed the distribution chain, tensioners and water pump with no charge for the original owner (I bought it used with 78K km). Before buying it I asked for the full service records and asked the dealer why they did everything and he mentioned that they were doing it because they knew that pretty much all <2013 2.0T fail after 70K km causing way more damage than just a new set of pistons and rings. So, this issue has been around for years and AUDI dealers were aware for a while. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
apoelistas (03-11-2020)
Old 09-03-2018, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Or an easy one to prove, if there is a piece missing from an exhaust valve, and a similar piece of debris, or the gouge marks from it, are found in the turbine assembly. (Assuming everything hasn't been thrown out by now.)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tensioner/ Timing Chain Class Action Settlement