Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Tensioner/ Timing Chain Class Action Settlement

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

The Audi reactive action is an accountant nonesense. It is not a preactive action.

Their risk assessment is only based on possibility of failures and cost of fixing, rather on happy customers and returning customers for future business..

For this reason if I lived in USA I would seriously pressure the car hard in order to cause a premature failure.

You can call me what ever you think for making such a proposal but sorry to say Audi does not respect their clients.

Last edited by apoelistas; 10-27-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Had my 2012 Q5 (79,000 miles) implode a few weeks ago. No warning, cruising about 65, car started to vibrate and EPC light came on. Ironically, timing chain would have been changed at 85K service. Dealer repair cost $7,900 (they offered $2K discount). I ended up trading the vehicle at the un-repaired value (moved up to V6).

I was not aware of issue before coming to this forum (obviously the dealer didn't tell me).
Old 10-28-2018, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by badlanders
Excuse me if this has been asked, but my 2010 A5 cabriolet was in the shop last month and my indy mechanic suggested I replace the timing chain as it is wearing out, although it has not failed completely. Will replacement of this part be covered under the class action suit?
I bet it actually did fail inspection.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mythdoc

I am testing that theory. I submitted a claim on my old Tiguan on which I replaced the failing tensioner before a catastrophic event. The class action settlement won’t be ratified until another month from now, after which they will start processing claims. I’ll be sure to post my results in this space.
I know this question is off track a bit for this thread as it seems this thread is discussing failures/potential failures in the 4 cyl gas engines. Are you aware of any known or discussed timing chain failures in the 3.0L TDI engine? Failure rate, age, milage, etc. Just curious as we near the 70K mile mark on our 2014 3.o TDI
Old 12-22-2018, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by HerrK
I know this question is off track a bit for this thread as it seems this thread is discussing failures/potential failures in the 4 cyl gas engines. Are you aware of any known or discussed timing chain failures in the 3.0L TDI engine? Failure rate, age, milage, etc. Just curious as we near the 70K mile mark on our 2014 3.o TDI
the TDI has a chain system that is represented to last for the lifetime” of the car. I am not aware of it having failed for anyone, but all I do is check forums regularly, LOL.
Old 12-22-2018, 12:38 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Monsoon2.0
Had my 2012 Q5 (79,000 miles) implode a few weeks ago. No warning, cruising about 65, car started to vibrate and EPC light came on. Ironically, timing chain would have been changed at 85K service. Dealer repair cost $7,900 (they offered $2K discount). I ended up trading the vehicle at the un-repaired value (moved up to V6).

I was not aware of issue before coming to this forum (obviously the dealer didn't tell me).
FWIW the upper timing chain tensioners on the 3.0T has issues too. While the TSB states that it is just a noise/rattle issue and no damage or catastrophic failure is expected I am not sure anyone has had one long enough term to confirm that or not. The 2016 might already have the revised parts but it took them 4 years to realize they had a bad design to begin with.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What about Canada? This settlement expires 25th of January 2019 and it is only for US. I paid 5000$ last year for tension failure.
https://timingchainlitigation.com
Old 03-15-2019, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Car is Junk

Originally Posted by apoelistas
In one year my Q5 will have it's 10 year anniversary. Doubt that Audi (CY) will send me any letter for preventive TCT repairs/replacements. I hope this applies to EU countries (world-wide recall) too and is not region locked.

​​​​
Take my advice and dump this car. I have a $11,000 repair bill because my timing chain broke. I was advised by my Audi dealership when I went in for my Electric Coolant pump recall that I should do the timing chain when I replaced the pump. Unfortunately for me pump never came in even though a delivery date has been promised several times over the last year, at no time was I contacted and told I should do my timing chain ASAP as there was a class action suit in USA involving this issue. Also had to repair A/C condenser as grill is too large to stop small stones from entering.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Update: the adjusters have begun processing claims. I know that because I got a letter stating I was ineligible for settlement moneys for not having used an authorized dealer to do my tensioner replacement. This, though, is expressly allowable under the terms posted on the website timingchainlitigation.com

About ten days later, the afternoon I posted to them my reply with a screen capture of their own instructions, a recorded voice called saying “if your claim was deemed ineligible due to use of an independent service center, you were told this in error and you need do nothing.”

Facepalm

Anyway, I’ll update again when I hear more. BTW, this is on my son’s Tiguan but it applied to any Audi with the 2.0 TSI engine also.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a 2013 Audi Q5 which had the timing belt replaced last May 2018 at 150,000k. Unfortunately, my dealer says a check engine light diagnostic shows that the timing belt may be failing again. The replacement had a warranty of 12 months or 12k; unfortunately I have driven 20k since then. Do I have any recourse for reimbursement or at least a discount for a 2nd timing belt needed just 10 months and 20k later? My dealership doesn't seem to want to offer me anything, just like "sorry". That said, I'm also pretty sour because it's also in the shop for its third wheel bearing replacement. No more Audi's for me.

Quick Reply: Tensioner/ Timing Chain Class Action Settlement