Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Tensioner/ Timing Chain Class Action Settlement

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by swifti
I have a 2013 Audi Q5 which had the timing belt replaced last May 2018 at 150,000k. Unfortunately, my dealer says a check engine light diagnostic shows that the timing belt may be failing again. The replacement had a warranty of 12 months or 12k; unfortunately I have driven 20k since then. Do I have any recourse for reimbursement or at least a discount for a 2nd timing belt needed just 10 months and 20k later? My dealership doesn't seem to want to offer me anything, just like "sorry". That said, I'm also pretty sour because it's also in the shop for its third wheel bearing replacement. No more Audi's for me.
I am surprised the dealer is not going to bat for you, assuming they are the same dealer who replaced the belt the last time. Your recourse would be to open a case with Audi corporate by telephone and ask for them to help sort things out with your dealer. Be polite, calm, but persistent in asking for the right thing to be done.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Probably they did not do the job properly, or did not change all parts of timing chain and another part failed.good luck
Old 03-30-2019, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think my dealership cares as they weren't the ones who replaced the timing belt - had to have it done at a dealership in another state while I was traveling. They don't want to take the gaff for possible mistake made by other dealer's service department.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by swifti
I don't think my dealership cares as they weren't the ones who replaced the timing belt - had to have it done at a dealership in another state while I was traveling. They don't want to take the gaff for possible mistake made by other dealer's service department.
Ah, there was more to the story. Looks like the cost will be on you. Did the other dealer change the chain tensioner, timing chain guides, etc.?
Old 03-30-2019, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

"had to have it done at a dealership in another state while I was traveling. They don't want to take the gaff for possible mistake made by other dealer's service department"
And they are correct then. Since the new failure is not under warranty, and some other dealership did the work, why would this dealer absorb the costs? They have no interest or responsibility to do so.

A timing belt should not fail at 20k, warranty or not. This is an issue to take up with Audi corporate, noting that it is an extremely short life for the new belt and that indicates either defective parts or installation. Audi corporate (AoA) may discuss that with the dealership that did the work, and the two of them may do something as "one time good will" accommodation.

But your local dealer? Has no dog in the fight. And apparently isn't smart enough to know that if they told you to contact AoA, you might appreciate the help from them. I wouldn't expect them to argue the case for you though. That would be truly exceptional service, and that's always rare.

Any chance the work was charged to a credit card that doubles the warranty, and doesn't exclude automotive repairs from that?
Old 03-30-2019, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Plus there is the small issue of the fact that the Audi 2.0L doesn't have a timing belt ? It is chain driven.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Belt, chain...My friends 69 GTO with a 440 4bbl had a timing CHAIN in the rear of the engine. Every 40,000 miles the engine had to be lifted to access and replace the chain. Given that today's high-strength fibers are stronger than most of the metals used in chains...20k is still unacceptable, no matter what kind of treadmill the hamsters are running in.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Redd
"had to have it done at a dealership in another state while I was traveling. They don't want to take the gaff for possible mistake made by other dealer's service department"
And they are correct then. Since the new failure is not under warranty, and some other dealership did the work, why would this dealer absorb the costs? They have no interest or responsibility to do so.

A timing belt should not fail at 20k, warranty or not. This is an issue to take up with Audi corporate, noting that it is an extremely short life for the new belt and that indicates either defective parts or installation. Audi corporate (AoA) may discuss that with the dealership that did the work, and the two of them may do something as "one time good will" accommodation.

But your local dealer? Has no dog in the fight. And apparently isn't smart enough to know that if they told you to contact AoA, you might appreciate the help from them. I wouldn't expect them to argue the case for you though. That would be truly exceptional service, and that's always rare.

Any chance the work was charged to a credit card that doubles the warranty, and doesn't exclude automotive repairs from that?
I once had a long talk with corporate Audi and they told me they do not control a dealer in any way. Corporate Audi only get's involved when it is a mass production part problem, production assembly issue, safety issues. They don't get involved with what a dealer does right or wrong. It's up to you and the dealer to fight.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It is not that "corporate" necessarily has to do anything, but rather than corporate has the ability to ask the dealer to cut some slack, and to supply the repair parts for a remake at a lower than normal price. Basically, the can decide to give up some corporate profit (and ask the dealer to do the same thing) in the name of customer good will, which has a sometimes forgotten but real value. If they get a number of complaints about the service quality at a dealership, they may have few if any sanctions that can be applied, but I don't think any dealer would want their supplier to get the impression that they were providing substandard service. Sometimes, it just helps to have a third party involved.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Redd
It is not that "corporate" necessarily has to do anything, but rather than corporate has the ability to ask the dealer to cut some slack, and to supply the repair parts for a remake at a lower than normal price. Basically, the can decide to give up some corporate profit (and ask the dealer to do the same thing) in the name of customer good will, which has a sometimes forgotten but real value. If they get a number of complaints about the service quality at a dealership, they may have few if any sanctions that can be applied, but I don't think any dealer would want their supplier to get the impression that they were providing substandard service. Sometimes, it just helps to have a third party involved.
Yes, Swifti can call corporate and I wish him the best. Audi Corporate is just not as easy as they used to be, they need to recoup the $11B they shelled out for diesel-gate, according to my dealer.

You were lucky to have your headlights replaced for the inside crazing issue. My dealer wanted to replace mine under warranty, corporate said no way, normal wear and tear. The area rep looked at them, said they were bad production parts, sent photos, corporate still denied replacement.

Thus corporate is not your friend all the time, even for a loyal 3 time Audi owner like me.

Quick Reply: Tensioner/ Timing Chain Class Action Settlement