Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Thiughts on 2013 Q5 3.0t with 100k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thiughts on 2013 Q5 3.0t with 100k miles?

Hello new to forum. I am currently looking at a 2013 3.0t with right at 100k miles on the clock. Clean clear carfax, no open recalls ect. Dealer wants 15k for the ride. It is extremely nice and clean. This however would be my first audi. I have read to try and stay clear of the 2.0 but cant find a whole lot on 3.0t. Seems to be reliable. I was curious on thoughts of this ride making it to 200k or higher miles with just minor repairs maintenance? I will be daily driving this a putting 15 to 20k a year so i want an enjoyable reliable vehice to daily. Whats the experts think? Thanks for any and all input!
Old 06-07-2019, 06:42 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

That is already a high mileage example and you plan to put very high mileage on it. The 3.0T as a whole is a good motor but does have some common pitfalls and the ZF trans is very robust.
Here's what I can think of off the top of my head. If these things have already been addressed then perhaps you are in better shape than if they have not already been addressed.
Water pump
Thermostat
PCV valve
Belts (they are on a specific prescribe Audi change interval)
There may have been a power steering recall for that year.
Timing chain adjusters (rattle on cold startup)

From a body perspective if it has the pano roof they can sometimes be noisy/rattly some people manage to get them fixed others never get resolved no matter how much effort is put into them. Also sometimes people have leaks due to clogged sunroof drains (common on many cars).
Check to make sure it has a heat exchanger grille/guard. I think some early ones did not have it fitted from the factory and run the risk of rocks puncturing the heat exchanger causing a coolant leak.

Also by 100k miles it should have had the following changed multiple times and that should be reflective on inspection.
Pollen filter (at least 3 times)
Spark Plugs (at least once but the second replacement is due at 115k and every 60k thereafter)
Air cleaner (at least once but preferably more, 55k miles is a long time between air filter changes)
Snow screen cleaning (at least once, depending on where you live)
Supercharger belt (one time at 55k, next is at 110k)
Brake fluid (Audi states to change every 2 years, so should have been done about 3 times.)
Oil changes (10 following Audi's rules, better if like 20 have been done in its lifetime)
Check the battery...should probably have been replaced once.

Hope that helps a bit.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Definitely helps. Appreciate it, i believe im more concerned about the amount of mileage that i will be adding in short periods of time. Above all i need my vehicle dependable. I cant afford for it to be in and out of the shop constantly. My brother has an 2010 s4 and its been amazingly reliable. Has 94k on the clock however he is about to sell it off and jump into something newer. So really would like to know if there are any 200k mile examples out there? I mean ive got a 2005 gmc sierra 5.3 ls and has well over 200k and has never missed a beat. Other then brakes normal stuff. Id like for the engine and trans to last me to well over 200k as has my truck. Just didnt know if that would happen or not.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

The supercharged engine is a good one. Will it run to 200k miles without trouble? Who knows? I'd say if it looks like a wholesome car, and the CARFAX isn't excessively long, you might have a shot at making your mileage goal assuming you keep up with all published maintenance.

Welcome aboard, Trey!
Old 06-07-2019, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I believe its worth a look. Spoke to the previous owner. She bought it in 2016 from audi as a certified pre-owned. Just traded it in for something newer. Of course with 100k on the clock no one will give it a cpo. She bought it with 57k on the clock had it serviced at audi and said it were trouble free. So ill take a good look anyway.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm sure there are 200k mile examples out there, but you are starting with a heavily used car and planning to put exceptional more mileage on it.
Despite all the progress in the last 20 years, turbo systems are still way more critical about oil and heat and spinning at high speeds they tend to wear and fail. Audi's have complex CANBUS electrical systems with multiple computers, and complex electronics tend to fail more often.
Audi is known for many things, but if you go to the library, get a reference copy of Consumer Reports annual car issue, I doubt you'll ever find an Audi listed as one of the most reliable cars, at any age or model year. Among other things, you've got two differentials and an expensive electromechanical transmission. Was the fluid in all three changed every 40-50,000 miles? Was the brake fluid changed every 2-4 years? The coolant? If no one attended to those things, they can take out very expensive systems over time. If you need a battery, you can't just replace an Audi battey, it has to be re-coded into the computer. Expect a dealer to ask $400+ for that. Audi shops tend to have very high labor rates, even for the little things, because very little is "little" on an Audi.
The following users liked this post:
djrx (07-08-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If I wanted a vehicle to keep for 200k miles, I would never choose an Audi. IMO, The vehicles best for that kind of mileage are the Japanese cars. Lexus RX are well known to go over 200k with very few problems. Most of the Acura, Lexus and Infiniti as well as Toyota, Honda etc. have cars that routinely go in excess of 200k. The performance may not be as good but if you're looking for reliability, look at the Japanese cars. They're way better.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by bextreme1
If I wanted a vehicle to keep for 200k miles, I would never choose an Audi. IMO, The vehicles best for that kind of mileage are the Japanese cars. Lexus RX are well known to go over 200k with very few problems. Most of the Acura, Lexus and Infiniti as well as Toyota, Honda etc. have cars that routinely go in excess of 200k. The performance may not be as good but if you're looking for reliability, look at the Japanese cars. They're way better.

I agree with your statement.

I have both an 2014 Audi Q5, and a 2014 Honda CRV, and if I had to get rid of one for reliability to 200K the Q5 would go.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bextreme1
200K miles is not all that impressive nowadays, basically any car on the market can do it. On the Honda Accord forum I frequent, there are a couple of folks going over 500K miles. It's not like Japanese has better technology or quality control, IMHO, it's because Japanese car makers are much more conservative in adopting new tech. For example, Turbo is a new thing for Japanese cars. How long ago was turbo on Audi/BMW?

The newer generation of Japanese cars may not be as reliable as before. The turbo in Honda's 1.5t engine has oil dilution issue. I once watched a funny video on youtube: a VW guy complaints to a Honda guy, "my car is burning oil", the Honda guy said, "I can give you some. My car is producing oil like a cow."

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
I agree with your statement.

I have both an 2014 Audi Q5, and a 2014 Honda CRV, and if I had to get rid of one for reliability to 200K the Q5 would go.
IMHO, it's all about the maintenance cost of an older car.
Audi will be so much more expensive to maintain. My Honda Accord is a 2007, 150K miles. It needed : timing belt, drive belt tensioner, water valve, front suspension (arms, ball joints), CV axles, struts, engine mounts, power steering pumps, air door actuators, door lock actuators, valve cover gaskets.... , not low maintenance at all. But the parts are cheaper, labor is cheaper. If an Audi needs those job done, it would have cost more than a new car.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure of your budget...

But.. with some searching and luck and about $7500 more dollars, you can find the same '13 Q5 with 3.0 and at least half the miles...
A fresher unit that would stand up better to your planned excessive usage that demands reliability...

Based on the readings here on this forum, that extra $7,500 dollars can soon be required from you on your first or second potential service visits on that 100,000 mile unit your looking at anyways...

Perhaps better to seek one with lower miles and pay more now than on the immediate horizon, I know I would.

Good luck on your search and keep us posted on your end result.

Quick Reply: Thiughts on 2013 Q5 3.0t with 100k miles?