Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Tinting the sun roof

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tinting the sun roof

Was thinking about tinting the sun roof. With a child seat in the rear, occasionally there is too much sun coming in, even with the shade closed. Anyone done this? What degree of tint would you recommend? Thanks.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bja70
Was thinking about tinting the sun roof. With a child seat in the rear, occasionally there is too much sun coming in, even with the shade closed. Anyone done this? What degree of tint would you recommend? Thanks.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...nting+sun+roof
Old 09-28-2009, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

I was always wonder about the flimsy perforated cover they had for the Q5 and how the heat dissipates into the cabin. I wonder if there is any accessories for this issue.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

In Phoenix we had Huper Optik 30 put on the roof of my wife's Q5. Had the vehicle for a week while the dealer waited for the material - would not have made it through the summer without it.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

from what I posted on another thread with the same topic

QUOTE=pg6922;23816412]For the best match, a regular died tint is best meaning non-metallic non-ceramic. But with a regular died tint, you only get darker and no reflective properties...which I think honest looks the best.

I chose 28% high performance metallic tint for the front windows so it would match better. The panoramic roof and the back doors and windows have 50% Huper Optik ceramic tint.

Happy with the results...at least the wife is happy with it.

Before
Name:  16Q5.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  124.8 KB

After

Name:  DSC_0014.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  133.9 KB

Before
Name:  18Q5.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  73.5 KB

Name:  DSC_0011.jpg
Views: 1530
Size:  91.0 KB[/QUOTE]
Old 09-29-2009, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I had VW Tiguan with same panorama and tinted it with 5% tint.

Under 3 digits summer sun was only time I needed shade. Below 90 no need for shade. Blocks heat well but also blocks your vision...

Now with Q5 I have 20% tint and I have to keep shade on most of time but it is still way cooler than it was before tint. Does not limit vision as did 5%.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i wish our rear glass tilted as well. and is it ok to drive with the sun roof opened and the mesh not retratced? i guess it is since we have independant control of both.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was told by the guy who tinted my Q5 NOT to tint the sunroof. His reasoning is that due to heat differences some customers sunroofs have cracked. He would not warranty his work if that did happen and I know Audi would not warranty the sunroof if it cracked after being tinted. I would love to tint my sunroof but am scared.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by lostemple
I was told by the guy who tinted my Q5 NOT to tint the sunroof. His reasoning is that due to heat differences some customers sunroofs have cracked. He would not warranty his work if that did happen ....

I have heard same cracking story, I have never had durability issues nor never seen cracked by tint. Though I have seen lot non tinted windows cracked by internal tension / manufacturing defect.

Until I see by my own eyes one cracked by tint, I have to say it is greatest BS I have heard long times.

While we lived in California, I never had issues with the tint shop we used (top notch work with all the cars we took there), here backwoods Kansas, first shop said roof is impossible to tint when it haves radius both ways, same genius said they install only 30%-50% tints as any darker is dangerous

Finally after several shops I found one who was able to perform everyday task with 5% tint, owner did roof top notch but employee doing the sides #*cked up the cutting and made me come back to replace 2 side tints.

Last edited by kleinbus; 09-30-2009 at 04:05 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Window Tinting Q5

I have an 2010 Ibus Q5 and I had all the windows tint by a company call Tint King they used a brand called LLUMAR I choose the 50 % tint for all the windows and on the roof I used a mirror finish to reflect more of the rays. It made a world of difference yea its darker in side but a lot cooler .

Quick Reply: Tinting the sun roof