Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Tire Rotation 5K only?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Tire Rotation 5K only?

Service schedule recommends 5K only for tire rotation... Anyone know why?
Old 03-27-2013, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pauly001
Service schedule recommends 5K only for tire rotation... Anyone know why?
I asked this same exact question last year, but I don't remember getting any concrete answers. Basically it was concluded that European car manufacturers don't typically include tire rotations in their maintenance schedules. You should still rotate your tires every 5k or however many miles you usually rotate them at.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Rotate front tires and back tires, BUT keep the tires on the same side they came from (front to back, back to front...ONLY). There is also chat to not rotate tires after 5000 miles. The tires have become used to their position and moving them can cause wear and vibration problems. I leave mine in their positions after 5000 (one rotation). Besides, how many miles do you expect to get? My 20 inch tires are about gone at 20,000.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Otto Man
Rotate front tires and back tires, BUT keep the tires on the same side they came from (front to back, back to front...ONLY). There is also chat to not rotate tires after 5000 miles. The tires have become used to their position and moving them can cause wear and vibration problems. I leave mine in their positions after 5000 (one rotation). Besides, how many miles do you expect to get? My 20 inch tires are about gone at 20,000.
I have 141k miles on my pickup with 17" rims and just replaced the tires for the 2nd time. That's an avg of 70k miles per set. I only have 18's on my Q5 so I think the tires will last a long time if I maintain them the same way I've maintained all my tires in the past.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

i have always rotated my tires every 5k-8k. They always seem in my case, to wear better keeping them rotated. I have never had any vibration issues, but i know my shop checks the balance of the tires on each rotation. Also I am curious to know what everyone is running for tires? We have 20's on our Tahoe and our last set of tires we got 45k miles out of them. They were Toyo Proxes STII's. And I run Toyo MT's on my yukon and normally get about 55k out of them. And once the current ones on the Q5 are done will be moving to 20' rims and Toyo Proxes 4 Plus. I also always sip my tires. The Audi we got in Nov and have put almost 10k miles on it. I figure we will make it through summer before i need tires on the Q5.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm with Otto, tires never last me more than 20-25K no matter what. I just chew through them with my driving, no amount of rotation seems to matter for me.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Otto Man
Exactly

I am lucky cause I run summer and winter tires and rims. So I swap them out every six months and keep a log so they get rotated every time.
The front tires will see a different wear pattern than the rears and one can extend the life of the tires by rotating them every 5k to even out the wear patterns. Some people are blessed with driving habits that can make up for any wear patterns but I know I am not blessed with that. Remember the fronts see a lot more forces and changes vs the rears and also see more weight than the rears.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie
Exactly

I am lucky cause I run summer and winter tires and rims. So I swap them out every six months and keep a log so they get rotated every time.
The front tires will see a different wear pattern than the rears and one can extend the life of the tires by rotating them every 5k to even out the wear patterns. Some people are blessed with driving habits that can make up for any wear patterns but I know I am not blessed with that. Remember the fronts see a lot more forces and changes vs the rears and also see more weight than the rears.
I agree!! It's is interesting the Audi does not feel the same!!
Old 03-28-2013, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

dang, I thought I drove my vehicles hard. lol I guess I don't from the sounds of how fast everyone goes through their tires. I have never gotten less then 35k-40K out of my Toyo tires. (that is about the only brand tire I will buy) I use to autocross one of my pervious cars. She was also my daily driver and I still got around 40K out of the Toyos. I drive my Yukon through the back road hills everyday to avoid the freeway traffic. I pace through at 55-65 mph (speed limit is 45) and there are a bunch of 15 mph turns I blow through at, at least double the speed limit and the yukon has agressive mud tires and I still get around 50k out of those. I need to rethink my idea of 'aggressive' driving. lol
Old 03-29-2013, 02:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

probably them people that tailgate all the time so are constantly on the brake/gas :P I never got why people will tailgate you when the lane beside has no cars in it (4-lane road)...Go around me if you're in such a rush :P

In all honesty, driving highway will make your tires last longer, as well as not changing your speed too much. Its when you start stressing the tire that it starts wearing more. Slamming on the brakes a lot will cause you to eat through tires pretty quick (even though there is ABS, the tire does slide ever so slightly).

Last edited by Telate; 03-29-2013 at 02:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Tire Rotation 5K only?