Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

TPMS Sensor Replacement Cost?

Old 03-25-2019, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Moonlightblue
I think I'd gotten that wrong. It think he did use millimeters. Regardless, I just returned from an independent shop in Ventura. They were great. The told me the new tire had 10/32 remaining, and the other three were all within 4/32 of the new one. One was 3.5/32 different, and the others were 4/32 different than the new tire. The mechanic who looked over my car, and scanned for codes (he sounded like he may even be German) insisted that he himself would buy new tires if the others were more than 2/32 different than the new one. I told him that Audi said that 4/32 was the cut off, he raised his eyebrows, shook his head, and sighed real heavy, saying, you're setting yourself up for having to do a LOT of work as a result of that discrepancy, I don't care what you read, I WOULD NOT leave the tires like that. Not sure I'm any closer to deciding what to do now. I guess finding a place to shave that one new tire might be solution.
Just to let people know how I resolved this - just to be safe, I ended up ordering a new tire from TireRack, and yes, they shave tires. So they'll be shaving my new tire within 1/32 of the original three tires. As for the new one I bought six weeks ago, I will save it and use it with three new ones I will have to buy in about two years when I'm due for a whole new set of tires for the car. I was told that there was no one in my general area who shaves tires which is why I decided to go the TireRack route. I did have a indie shop scan for codes, and they did find a code pop up for the ABS I believe (that they then cleared), which could've been triggering the TPMS error message, but then the issue for me that remained was the difference in the tread depths, and the potential future damage they could cause. Thank you to everyone who helped me figure this one out.