Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Trade in worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 01:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trade in worth it?

I'm getting ready to order a 2013 S4 and I'm debating on if I want to trade in my Q5 or try to sell it outright. It is a 2011 and only has 2,400 miles on it. Premium Plus, Navigation, towing package,all weather matts, Hartmann 20" wheels, in perfect condition. KBB shows $44K for a trade in or $46K for private sale.

So, has anyone traded in their Q5 lately? It seems like the value holds pretty well on these.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Obsessive Detail
I'm getting ready to order a 2013 S4 and I'm debating on if I want to trade in my Q5 or try to sell it outright. It is a 2011 and only has 2,400 miles on it. Premium Plus, Navigation, towing package,all weather matts, Hartmann 20" wheels, in perfect condition. KBB shows $44K for a trade in or $46K for private sale.

So, has anyone traded in their Q5 lately? It seems like the value holds pretty well on these.
Remember, you probably can greatly reduce sales tax on the S4 if you trade in the Q.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

I cannot see how the dealer will give you 44k for a 2011. To make any money they will need to sell it at 47k or 48k and who is going to pay that for a 3 year old car when they can get a brand new Q5 for around the same price.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're thinking about trading it in, take it to Carmax and get a free appraissal. There's no cost or obligation. They'll give you an appraisal good for 7 days, meaning you can drive it for 7 more days and if you decide to, take it back to them and they'll buy it from you. You can also use this as a trade-in bargaining tool; important note here is to negotiate the price of your new car BEFORE negotiating a price for you trade-in. Don't tell them about the Carmax appraisal until you negotiate the price of your trade-in. I sold 3 cars to Carmax in the past since they almost always beat the dealer's offer. On high demand cars like the Q5, you'll be surprised what Carmax is willing to pay.
If you are willing to do a little foot work, you will always get more by selling it yourself but it could be a hassle. Good luck!
Old 06-01-2012, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I traded mine last month with a little over 15k. Was offered between 30k Audi dealer and 36k Toyo dealer. With the sales tax diff it wasn't worth trying to private sell. I also got a great deal on the Toyo so it wasn't robbing Peter to pay Paul.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
If you're thinking about trading it in, take it to Carmax and get a free appraissal. There's no cost or obligation. They'll give you an appraisal good for 7 days, meaning you can drive it for 7 more days and if you decide to, take it back to them and they'll buy it from you. You can also use this as a trade-in bargaining tool; important note here is to negotiate the price of your new car BEFORE negotiating a price for you trade-in. Don't tell them about the Carmax appraisal until you negotiate the price of your trade-in. I sold 3 cars to Carmax in the past since they almost always beat the dealer's offer. On high demand cars like the Q5, you'll be surprised what Carmax is willing to pay.
If you are willing to do a little foot work, you will always get more by selling it yourself but it could be a hassle. Good luck!
Just checked and the closest Carmax dealer is 100 miles away from here.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was quoted $40,000 from dealer for a 2011 w/ 13500mi Q5, Premium Plus S-Line, Nav, B & O Stereo and winter rim and tire package with a transferable warranty. This seems to be the best offer I have received and I have been working with 4 dealerships.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I figure if I can get at least $41-$42 on a trade plus the savings on taxes from the trade in, I will be in good shape. I would think that my super low miles will help out a lot, the vehicle still looks basically new.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
When I bought my Q, I sold my old car to Carmax. They offered me 3 times as much as the Audi Dealership (it wasn't a lot). I even had my Audi salesman pick me up at CarMax in my new Q.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just heard back from an Audi dealer in Chicago and they were offering $38K without seeing it and wanting to give me $1000 over invoice for the S4. If I could get them to go up another 2K on the trade and $500 more down on the S4, they might have a deal.