Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Trailer module removal and coding

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Trailer module removal and coding

I need to remove the Trailer module and thus need to code the other module. I found many many different coding guide but they all seems to be somewhat different.

From my understanding, I will need to uncheck "Trailer Hitch Installed" in the Engine, ABS, Cent. Elect., and Back-up Cam. Anywhere else? What about Side-Assist?

Do I need to remove the module from some kind of gateway?

What would be the procedure? First code the modules, remove from gateway, disconnect the Trailer module? How do I reset everything to make sure there is no fault? I just turn the ignition off/on or I need to disconnect the battery?

Assuming someone have no information about what need to be recoded, could he just disconnect the module and then fix all the faults one after the other?
Old 03-25-2019, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Why are you swapping one trailer module with another? I would assume if you are just replacing the old one, you don't really need to code anything since it already is done.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

What "other" module? AFAIK the trailer control is an option, nothing "replaces" it, or vice versa. If you have the optional trailer control installed, the programming just tells the car "IF there is a trailer present, do this" and when there is no trailer connection, it doesn't matter if the program thinks the module is there or not, the car will behave as if there is no trailer. (Which is correct.)

What are you trying to accomplish??
Old 03-30-2019, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Redd
it doesn't matter if the program thinks the module is there or not, the car will behave as if there is no trailer.
Modules don't simply do a IF. If the "Hitch installed" option is enabled in a module and that the Trailer module is not there, the module will generate a fault (Trailer module missing).

After I physically removed the Trailer module, I had fault in 6 modules (Trailer module missing) and I had the disable the "Hitch installed" option from then to definitively get rid of the faults. I also had to logically remove the Trailer module from the gateway list.

I traded my SQ5 and wanted to remove the hitch. So if someone is looking for a Trailer module and the harness, I have one for sale! :-)

Last edited by Yoshimura; 03-30-2019 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

That makes sense, Yoshi. Assuming you want to scavenge and sell the spare parts.(G)
Old 03-30-2019, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Yes, there is coding/settings involved...………

Old 03-31-2019, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the module that was removed works properly, I am interested in buying it.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by TomReed
If the module that was removed works properly, I am interested in buying it.
I posted it in the Part For Sale forum. :-)

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/par.../#post25296941
Old 08-12-2019, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to ask but can't find another thread related
is this module compulsory for the trailer hitch to work ? is it module 69 ? because I have it
Audi installed the OEM trailer hitch to my SQ5 but when I plug my trailer nothing happens (no trailer mode in MMI, the car doesn't go into trailer suspension mode, and it doesn't shut down the rear sensors) Any way to activate it ?
thanks

Last edited by snowfree52; 08-12-2019 at 05:22 AM.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by snowfree52
Sorry to ask but can't find another thread related
is this module compulsory for the trailer hitch to work ? is it module 69 ? because I have it
Audi installed the OEM trailer hitch to my SQ5 but when I plug my trailer nothing happens (no trailer mode in MMI, the car doesn't go into trailer suspension mode, and it doesn't shut down the rear sensors) Any way to activate it ?
thanks
Does your trailer have (all) LED lights by chance?

Quick Reply: Trailer module removal and coding