Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny

Brand new 2015 Q5 needed a new transmission before the first oil change. Never again.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stuff happens. Try to enjoy the car. My wifes Lexus RX400h needed a new steering rack withing 10k miles. A Lexus!
Old 01-22-2015, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Romaroe, I experienced a transmission failure at 200 miles. I was really regretting my purchase. However, I received an identical Q5 a month later - I now have 5,000 miles on it and I've been very happy with the vehicle. I'm not sure what is causing the early transmission issues and hopefully Audi figures it out and acknowledges there is a known issue. I know how frustrating it can be - I recommend you contact Audi USA and inquire about a replacement vehicle rather than simply having yours repaired. Good luck.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Audi does not make the transmission. It's a supplier issue and I believe this transmisison is used in many other makes, including BMW.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stash64
Audi does not make the transmission. It's a supplier issue and I believe this transmisison is used in many other makes, including BMW.
Perhaps it's semantics, but I disagree. The end consumer is purchasing a product from Audi, therefore, it is an Audi issue. Regardless of whether Audi manufactures the transmissions or not, they are accountable for ensuring their supplier delivers a quality product.

Last edited by dcl23; 01-22-2015 at 07:36 AM.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dcl23
Perhaps it's semantics, but I disagree. The end consumer is purchasing a product from Audi, therefore, it is an Audi issue. Regardless of whether Audi manufactures the transmissions or not, they are accountable for ensuring their supplier delivers a quality product.
It's absolutely Audi's responsibility, no doubt. Not speaking to stash64's intent, but IMO mention of the 8-speed tranny being a common piece of hardware shared by many makes (Audi, BMW, Bentley, RR, Jaguar, Chrysler, Jeep, etc) is relevant, no?
Old 01-22-2015, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

That sucks but it's a mechanical product and these things do happen. So long as Audi straighten out the problem for you then all will be well and you can enjoy the car you obviously love because you chose it.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My point was not to suggest it is not Audi's responsibility, but that this particular failure is not indicative of Audi quality because it could have happened with any number of different car manufacturers given that it is a common transmission. I think it is ZF... someone correct me if I am wrong.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by romaroe
Brand new 2015 Q5 needed a new transmission before the first oil change. Never again.
while you're at it, cross Bentley, BMW, Chrysler, Dodge, Jaguar, Jeep, Land Rover, Maserati, Rolls-Royce and VW off your list as well. they all use the same zf 8spd tranny.

so if the tires on your car turned out to be defective, is it still an audi problem? yes, audi should take care of the issue, but i'd hardly chalk it up to bad engineering by audi.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to go with the view that this IS Audi's problem. Its their name on the car and most people will have no idea (and wont care) that ZF built the transmission. Further, we dont have any data as to the failure mode of this particular transmission... could Audi have misfilled it with Mazola instead of tranny fluid (tongue in cheek) leading to failure? That would certainly not be ZF's problem. Ultimately root cause is likely to be ZF's but the buck stops with Audi. Any good company will not try to pass the buck and will own up to something like this while concurrently choking the crud out of their supplier for putting them in this position. This is certainly the way it works where I work. If the customer has a problem with our product it is ALWAYS our fault when speaking to the customer.

Quick Reply: Tranny