AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/)
-   -   Turbo P0299 Engine Code issue (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/turbo-p0299-engine-code-issue-2974307/)

apoelistas 02-20-2020 08:59 PM

After removing racechip the P0299 disappeared. Later, few days after, I noticed from my external boost gauge that I had underboost. my waterpump was leaking and noticeable oil in the belly. Also vacuum pump is also leaking but more like tears. Will be changing its gasket.

ordered tools and waterpump to perform the fix. cant drive my car until then.

Will also have to replace gasket/silicon of timing chain covers probably do the tensioner same time. That will happen in the summer time.

I expect the Q5 to last 350,000 km without major engine hiccups / part failures. I was wrong.

archittech7 02-21-2020 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by apoelistas (Post 25423497)
After removing racechip the P0299 disappeared. Later, few days after, I noticed from my external boost gauge that I had underboost. my waterpump was leaking and noticeable oil in the belly. Also vacuum pump is also leaking but more like tears. Will be changing its gasket.

ordered tools and waterpump to perform the fix. cant drive my car until then.

Will also have to replace gasket/silicon of timing chain covers probably do the tensioner same time. That will happen in the summer time.

I expect the Q5 to last 350,000 km without major engine hiccups / part failures. I was wrong.

Ok, thanks. I will be going after the racechip this weekend. Did it also fix the oil issue or is that a lost cause?

As for the waterpump, I called Audi North Houston yesterday asking about the oil issue and the related class action suit. She said she wasn't aware of it, but there is one pertaining to the waterpump. It will cover us through 100k or 10 years. Might be worth looking into.

Looks like we bought the wrong year model.

apoelistas 02-21-2020 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by archittech7 (Post 25423586)
Ok, thanks. I will be going after the racechip this weekend. Did it also fix the oil issue or is that a lost cause?
As for the waterpump, I called Audi North Houston yesterday asking about the oil issue and the related class action suit. She said she wasn't aware of it, but there is one pertaining to the waterpump. It will cover us through 100k or 10 years. Might be worth looking into.

Looks like we bought the wrong year model.

did you install chiptuning box?? It is a performance box that few of us have installed as a third party add on to improve performance. My oil issue is due to gasket engine sealant leak, not piston nor rings nor engine piston cylinder walls.

dont mention this at the dealer. You will loose warranty.

archittech7 02-21-2020 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by apoelistas (Post 25423694)
did you install chiptuning box?? It is a performance box that few of us have installed as a third party add on to improve performance. My oil issue is due to gasket engine sealant leak, not piston nor rings nor engine piston cylinder walls.

dont mention this at the dealer. You will loose warranty.

Ok, no I did not. I'm at the very beginning stages of diagnosing the P0299 issues and was going to search up the race chip later after reading your post. Thought it was some sort of stock chip with a cool name. Lol Guess I don't have to worry about that.
So far, I only replaced the diverter valve and cleaned the mass air flow sensor. Next is the MAP sensor.
​​​​​​

apoelistas 02-21-2020 10:27 AM

Two pressure sensors to clean. Both accessible from the hood easily. One on intake manifold. The other one on the pipe coming out from intercooler near sound box and coolant reservoir.

next would be to change the solenoid on the turbo charger and check play of wastegate and if ok install the wastegate clip. Then there is also a solenoid on the intake manifold which I changed. I was not able to install the clip yet.

archittech7 02-21-2020 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by apoelistas (Post 25423747)
Two pressure sensors to clean. Both accessible from the hood easily. One on intake manifold. The other one on the pipe coming out from intercooler near sound box and coolant reservoir.

next would be to change the solenoid on the turbo charger and check play of wastegate and if ok install the wastegate clip. Then there is also a solenoid on the intake manifold which I changed. I was not able to install the clip yet.

Got it, thanks! Yeah, I'm thinking it has to be a sensor since the turbo charger is running great. Can I use the same mass air flow cleaner on those sensors?

archittech7 02-21-2020 11:25 AM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...7ec9fa4310.jpg
​​​​​​Before I start unscrewing more things, is the manifold sensor where I have the red arrow? Is the other one viewable in this picture of my engine?

apoelistas 02-21-2020 07:52 PM

Yes middle of I manifold is the pressure sensor

I use electrical contact Cleaner only. Sometimes in addition I use wooden tooth pick to remove black spots (carbon)

both sensors are cheap in case you decide to replace them. (Mine now look like new). One of them is made by Bosch for 25-30 dollars (Intercooler sensor) I would not get anything apart from BOSCH 0261230208 (I have a new one as spare parts) The other (IM) by many OE manufacturers but quality varies. That I would check OEM price first (starting price is about $10 for OE) or clean existing.

be careful of bolt falling under engine on bottom trim. I also need that magnet rod and mirror stick.

grady1 06-07-2020 06:31 AM

Do you have the part# for the clip?

apoelistas 06-07-2020 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by grady1 (Post 25464605)
Do you have the part# for the clip?

06J145220B