Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Quattro 2.0T - Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 05:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 Quattro 2.0T - Won't Start

Hey gang, new to the forum and looking for some guidance. Have had many issues with our Q5 since purchase 3 years ago and will post another thread on another issue, however the priority is this situation. For a couple of days the vehicle took an extra second or two to start, and while in gear or neutral, idling very low and very rough and jumpy. It felt like it would conk out but didn't. I'd increase the RPMs and it would take the rough idle away. On the highway, I began to feel it hesitate slightly. Not so much to decrease speed but a slight hesitation from time to time. Now, the engine will not start. It turns over, all lights come one etc. (doesn't appear to be electrical). It feels like the engine is not getting fuel, the right mount of fuel or something like that. Could it be the fuel injector, throttle body....? Is there anything that I can try at home before taking in for repair? Much thanks in advance!
Old 11-02-2017, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

No mention of Check Engine Light. With all your issues there are most likely fault codes stored that will give up what is going on. If you know the fault codes then add Audi 3.2 to your Google search you will most likely have a pretty good idea what the issue is and how to fix. These vehicles and all vehicles are pretty involved these days and it's a good idea to scan for codes right away when any bad behavior is exhibited to help prevent doing damage. Does sound like a fuel problem.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5
No mention of Check Engine Light. With all your issues there are most likely fault codes stored that will give up what is going on. If you know the fault codes then add Audi 3.2 to your Google search you will most likely have a pretty good idea what the issue is and how to fix. These vehicles and all vehicles are pretty involved these days and it's a good idea to scan for codes right away when any bad behavior is exhibited to help prevent doing damage. Does sound like a fuel problem.
Thanks for your quick reply. Yes, engine light is on. I will pick up a scan tool today and see what it says.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our Q5 idled poorly from 35k-45k miles. I swapped coil packs and plugs and it drove like new.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Now is the time to hook up to Vag-Com.This software will allow you to pinpoint fuel pressure deviations from spec.in a number of different locations in the pathway and that would be an excellent place to start.Have a backup car ? You may need to set aside a couple of days after work to sort this out.Either that or do you have a good independant to go to ? Dealer can rape you on this type of issue.This site is a good place to get guidance on this kind of stuff so if you decide to take on the challenge, come back and update us.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Much thanks. I think this one is a fuel problem however likely time for new plugs and coil packs anyway.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
Now is the time to hook up to Vag-Com.This software will allow you to pinpoint fuel pressure deviations from spec.in a number of different locations in the pathway and that would be an excellent place to start.Have a backup car ? You may need to set aside a couple of days after work to sort this out.Either that or do you have a good independant to go to ? Dealer can rape you on this type of issue.This site is a good place to get guidance on this kind of stuff so if you decide to take on the challenge, come back and update us.

Much thanks, I have ordered a diagnostic scanner to arrive today. Will hopefully lead in me in the right direction for the fix. Haven't found a good independent repair place yet, working on that. Simply can't afford to take it to the dealer each time.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have engine light on, the odds are you have carbon built up since you have 3.2
Old 11-09-2017, 05:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Zigaroo
if you have engine light on, the odds are you have carbon built up since you have 3.2
Thanks. How best to tackle a carbon build up?
Old 11-09-2017, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Zigaroo
That's a huge assumption to make, as it relates to the OPs original question. CEL does not always = carbon buildup.

OP, I'd recommend step one that you actually pull a full VCDS log with all the error codes and then post that here. Then we should provide you some insight as to what might be the cause of the issue.

BTW, I'm VERY familiar with carbon build-up issues on the FSI engines, here's a write-up I did on it awhile back: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-.../#post24523204

Oh and here's a great DIY on how to clean the carbon: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...clean-2764902/

Quick Reply: Q5 Quattro 2.0T - Won't Start