Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Update on low speed/parking/tight turn shudder

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on low speed/parking/tight turn shudder

First, this thread is not about high speed wheel shake or vibration.

It is about slow speed steering shudder noticed in situations like parking, backing out of garages, making tight turns when barely moving, almost like your tires are squirming-- the type of shudder that has plagued the A4 and was passed on to the Q5. The type of shudder to which my dealer's response was "they all do it, doesn't hurt anything"

In a post today by user Mobilehavoc in the A4 (B8 platform) forum, who has been pursuing the issue, he received "a call from AofA to follow up on the slow speed steering issue...They said they've confirmed through testing that replacing the power steering hose with a new design with eliminate the issue and they've moved into parts production. They expect parts production to last for 6 weeks or so and then dealers will be able to perform the maintenance as part of a TSB..."

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2766415

This is good news for everyone who has noticed this low speed shudder, looks like a TSB may not be too far away.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks for the info loophole. it's good to hear AoA has found a solution (hopefully).
Old 10-28-2009, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Great news. I get some shudder when I do a full lock. Hopefully the part will be ready when I get in for my first service.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

"First, this thread is not about high speed wheel shake or vibration."

For those of us who are experiencing both of these issues, how have you concluded that high speed vibration is not a different manifestation of the same problem as low speed vibration?
Old 10-29-2009, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thread is about AoA's response to slow speed issue

Originally Posted by rehajm
"First, this thread is not about high speed wheel shake or vibration."

For those of us who are experiencing both of these issues, how have you concluded that high speed vibration is not a different manifestation of the same problem as low speed vibration?
Second, I didn't conclude anything. The info in this thread is AofA's response to the slow speed steering issue.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Loophole
Second, I didn't conclude anything. The info in this thread is AofA's response to the slow speed steering issue.
Thanks- It's a battle to follow all the theories and threads for those of us with both low and high speed shudder. Just making sure I didn't miss something definitive from Audi. From your post of the A4 thread it sounds like a TSB may is imminent..
Old 11-03-2009, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FWIW...

Originally Posted by rehajm
I definitely have the low speed shudder and not the high speed. Considering that a faulty tire or wheel (or even incorrectly balanced tires) would only cause a high(er) speed issue, I'm sure it's a problem associated with the power steering. Hopefully, there's a fix on the way as this shudder is quite annoying and the only thing that keeps my Q5 from getting perfect marks across the board.