Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Used Audi Q5 What to look for

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by steveo688
Well thanks everyone but.. I own it now! LOL! I did it today. Found out some service records on it till I tracked down the dealership where it was purchased new. The lady there said I couldn't get records unless I owned the vehicle. I did look at the carfax and saw that they did an oil consumption test then 7xx miles later the vehicle was serviced. Hoping it was pistons replaced and it was too much to list in detail. Guess I'll find out tomorrow when I call her back and get the service records. Wish me luck!
Good luck with it. On a more humorous note, you’re just like my kid who, when he asks me “should I do ____,” is really not prepared to process a negative or a warning of any kind. You kinda just rocketed through some very serious warnings about the 2012 model year 2.0’s, LOL, when you could have taken a few days to research and make sure. Anyway, good luck with it.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

When I owned a garage there was a definite, close to majority, group of my customers who would come in and ask for my advice on what to buy and then announce that they'd just bought such and such, often one of the ones I had warned against.Oh well what can you do ?
Old 06-13-2019, 11:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Check if you have the newer PCV or post a photo with its part no. If it is dual colour white and black you have the newer engine firmware which minimizes the oil consumption issue. If you dont you are in serious trouble.

Then ask dealer to give you your cars piston/piston rings conrods part numbers and post this information here.

Will let you know if you got lucky.

Last edited by apoelistas; 06-13-2019 at 11:39 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, yeah, I know! LOL! I watched videos on the chain/tensioner issues and that would be cake to fix. Piston/rings isn't even beyond me to do so I just need to find out if it's been done. My buddy was behind me after work Friday and said it was huffing black smoke when I took off a couple times. Seemed to be fuel rich issue. Also stalled on me when I tried to take off after making a stop yesterday for about 45 minutes. Stumbled a few times at take off after that and has seemed fine since. Will check out the PCV a little later. My buddy is detailing it right now. Will look better for resale/ trade in purposes right?
Old 06-16-2019, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-16-2019, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I already priced all the parts to do the piston change too. $700 ish for everything they give their techs to do it including oil change, coolant, all seals & gaskets etc.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by steveo688
I already priced all the parts to do the piston change too. $700 ish for everything they give their techs to do it including oil change, coolant, all seals & gaskets etc.
You better check your cylinder walls though the sparkplug holes with a borescope first. The factory rings have a tendency to break and score the cylinder walls. Any cylinder wall scoring requires a block replacement
You can not bore and hone the block as Audi doesn't supply over sized pistons and rings.
Plus there is a "special cylinder wall coating" that CAN NOT be honed when new pistons and rings are installed. When the Audi dealer installs pistons and rings under the less than 80K miles warranty there is still some of the remaining factory cylinder wall cross hatch honing pattern there to break in the rings properly. If the cross hatching is gone you will never break in new rings and have a tremendous oil burner.
No cylinder cross hatching also means a block replacement.

Black smoke and stumbling could mean a lot of things. Your high mileage engine could have excessive carbon build up.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Oh boy! Sounding better all the time! Guess I'll get out the bore scope and start looking.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Well, I ran the bore scope into all the cylinders and the cross hatch looks good. PCV looks to be all black though. Maybe I should run it up to the dealer and see what they say it needs and go from there. Is the newer firmware an update they can do or does that include the new pistons and rings?
Old 06-16-2019, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
You better check your cylinder walls though the sparkplug holes with a borescope first. The factory rings have a tendency to break and score the cylinder walls. Any cylinder wall scoring requires a block replacement
You can not bore and hone the block as Audi doesn't supply over sized pistons and rings.
Plus there is a "special cylinder wall coating" that CAN NOT be honed when new pistons and rings are installed. When the Audi dealer installs pistons and rings under the less than 80K miles warranty there is still some of the remaining factory cylinder wall cross hatch honing pattern there to break in the rings properly. If the cross hatching is gone you will never break in new rings and have a tremendous oil burner.
No cylinder cross hatching also means a block replacement.

Black smoke and stumbling could mean a lot of things. Your high mileage engine could have excessive carbon build up.
Yes, they use a laser at the factory to break the edges of the crosshatch, maybe a .0001 or 2. Eliminates break in routine for new engines.

Quick Reply: Used Audi Q5 What to look for