Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

VAG-COM codes

Old 06-23-2009, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VAG My Q5

Hello all, you might know me as Ponch from http://www.vagtoolfinder.com , in any case I've placed my order for my Q5 S-Line and am expecting delivery in September. What I'm looking for is does anyone know of anything that can be done to the SUV using the VAG cable that they want to share?

For starters I would assume the remote windows and sunroof open/close is doable, but I guess we'll need to advertise the information for all to use. Is there anything else that can be done?

Cheers!
Old 06-23-2009, 10:55 AM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

Here are some quotes from previous threads that caught my attention. I tried finding them agan so I can post the links, just do not have enough time now, but they are there if you want to do a search.

1) In the "Instruments" controller for the Q5 there's a few fun features that you can add to your car. You can see below that by opening controller 17-Instruments, using the long code helper and selecting Byte 1 you can add or remove several features. I wanted to add the "gauge sweep" and the the key warning for when the key is out of the car. For the gauge sweep, you want to make sure Bit 0 (Gauge Test/Needle Sweep active) is checked. If you want the key warning, simply make sure Bit 7 (Key Warning active) is checked. (As you can see below, by default neither of these were checked and neither function was activated.) Check Bit 3 (Lap Timer active) if you want a lap timer in your DIS computer functions. Check Bit 5 (Shift Suggestion (Economy) active) if you want an indicator active on your DIS of when to shift in manual mode.
Again, once you Exit the Long Code Helper and click Do It! in the Recode Module, all of these functions will be active.

2) Helping to continue to pass the time I plugged in the VAG-COM tool to have a poke around. I was able to add the "convenience window" feature that is deactivated for North America (allowing me to roll down windows, roll up windows and close the sunroof with unlock and lock buttons on the key.) Finally, just for fun, I activated the "gauge sweep" function. The speedo and tach now quickly sweep through their entire range when I start the Q5.

3) If you are specifically interested in video in motion from your MMI DVD player, you might want to get in contact with the guys at Audi Portal. In less that 10 minutes they were able to change settings so that while the car is moving, the display will stay on while using the DVD player. Using Team Viewer (a free, simple remote access/remote desktop sharing program) with my computer connected to my Q5 via VAG-COM, one of their techs changed the speed limit for the DVD player display. While the settings to make the change are simple enough, the area you need to access is pass code protected on all Audi's. Audi Portal has software to extract the pass code and will then make the change for you. Since you are paying for the service, I'm sure they would set up your winking DRL's and and other features you wanted activated or deactivated. Just thought I'd give you the heads-up so you can plan your VAG-COM trip and VIM activation together.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Wow, excellent find and I look forward to trying this out!

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2009, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default VAG-COM Advanced Key Feature packs a surprise

Just thought I'd share something. I recently VAG-COM'd my Q5 and did a number of things - non-blinking DRL's, no seatbelt warning light, needle sweep, lap timer, and advanced key (allowing the key fob to shut all windows and sunroof, open chosen windows, etc. I just noticed something today that is extra cool - if you press and hold the lock button on the key fob to allow it to close the sunroof and windows, and you keep holding it after the sunroof has shut, the interior sun-shade mesh thing actually closes up all the way also...again, you have to hold it longer than normal and peer into the window to see that the shade is done closing so you can let up, but it is a well-thought out idea regardless in my opinion. It was very helpful today when I parked in the direct sunlight and realized after getting out of the car that I not only wanted my sunroof closed but the shade too - it was cool not to have to go back in the car and power it up for just a shade shutting!

Ahh yes, small pleasures :-)
Old 08-31-2009, 09:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny you should mention that because I just noticed that this weekend. It made me very happy. (It's the little things in life that make me happy, lol)
Old 08-31-2009, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

p.s. Careful on the needle sweep. That is what clued my service advisor into the fact that I made VAG changes, and he reset everything back to default. I had to have it all done again, but this time, I left the needle sweep off. Hopefully they won't reset me again.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

But the needle sweep is the coolest part! It's like a party every time you start the ignition!
Old 09-01-2009, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by FitzLA
p.s. Careful on the needle sweep. That is what clued my service advisor into the fact that I made VAG changes, and he reset everything back to default. I had to have it all done again, but this time, I left the needle sweep off. Hopefully they won't reset me again.

Reset comes automatically as I took off my needle sweep for 15k service and still everything was gone....

That's why saved the instructions for later use so after service I can do the tricks again.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Do you think the dealer intentionally resets or does this just happen as part of the service process?

And is there anything to be concerned about in making these VAG-COM changes (i.e. warranty issues)? I definitely want to add some of these features, but not sure what I'm getting myself into.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how do you find where you can "VAG-COM"

i was so bummed when i held my unlock button down (prestige plus) and none of the windows went down. I love that feature. My G35 has it and to put them up put the key in the door and turn. That works in the Audi for up and down but its nice to do it as you're walking and want the windows down.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VAG-COM codes