Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

VW Diesel Emissions News -- Breyer Sets March 24 Deadline

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sigq5
Hard to feel sympathy for VW et all, specially after the poor manner in which they have worked with the very people that buy their premium cars

They put themselves in this position. As owners, we relied on their representations to buy their product. It is only reasonable they they make us whole.
I'm not suggesting sympathy, but as an owner I think we have some alignment of interest with VAG. The best solution from an owner's perspective is that we can keep our cars as is, and VAG has to pay some massive fine. Of course, that's not going to happen, but I still have an interest in having VAG push the least invasive solution that EPA will accept, because I know that whatever compensation I get for the changes is going to be much smaller than I think it should be.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MattMan3104
No way am I letting VW or Audi take back my TDI. It is a terrific vehicle and a real pleasure to drive. Personally, I could care less about the controversy. Audi will fix it and MPG may drop 5 or 10 percent. It's still better than any other option available from other manufacturers. Cars depreciate. Buying is a horrible investment. I went into the deal knowing that this was an expensive purchase and the mind set of driving my Q5 for a long time. Something a Diesel is supremely suited for. The only hesitation for me would be accelerated maintenance/replacement costs that may result from the "fix". Considering much of the auto world news is about autonomous driving cars not to far into the future, I plan to relish every moment I get to drive my Q5 TDI. It's a kick being thrown back in the seat when I press that right pedal.
I don't know which diesel you have or what country you live, buy agree with most of what you wrote. But what if the fix reduced fuel mileage AND power output 5-10%?
Old 03-07-2016, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
I don't know which diesel you have or what country you live, buy agree with most of what you wrote. But what if the fix reduced fuel mileage AND power output 5-10%?
I would be an unhappy camper....

They could compensate for power loss with a bit more boost but that could come with a mileage impact. (literature says they already increase boost during particulate filter clean cycle to compensate). I doubt this would result in longevity issue since this engine is used in Europe with twin turbo and a LOT more power.

We will just have to wait and see.... Pure speculation at this point.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Don Keener
I would be an unhappy camper....

They could compensate for power loss with a bit more boost but that could come with a mileage impact. (literature says they already increase boost during particulate filter clean cycle to compensate). I doubt this would result in longevity issue since this engine is used in Europe with twin turbo and a LOT more power.

We will just have to wait and see.... Pure speculation at this point.
I agree with Mr. Kenner in that I would not be satisfied with deviations from performance (emissions, mileage, power/torque) or added maintenance.

Audi represented the performance and maintenance of the car they sold us. We relied on their representation.

They caused this problem, and have taken for ever to fix it while keeping us in the dark. It is up to Audi to make this right.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by A6forMoi
I'm not suggesting sympathy, but as an owner I think we have some alignment of interest with VAG. The best solution from an owner's perspective is that we can keep our cars as is, and VAG has to pay some massive fine. Of course, that's not going to happen, but I still have an interest in having VAG push the least invasive solution that EPA will accept, because I know that whatever compensation I get for the changes is going to be much smaller than I think it should be.
I respect your perspective, and want a good outcome as well. We do not look for Audi to get fined, and prefer they channel effort and resources on fixing the problem or making buyers whole.

We like our Q5 TDI, and bought it for the long haul. Like most, we relied on Audi's representations to make our decision.

The current approach of stonewalling does not inspire confidence or trust.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

VW WILL get fined. Only the amount is to be determined. I can assure you that they prefer saving their money and resources to making the affected owners "whole". Now VW is saying if the fines and penalties are too harsh, they'll have to lay US workers off their jobs. Ah..."the job card" gets played.

Enough talk. Fix my vehicle or buy it back.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think massive fines put money that should be going to owners into the hands of an undeserving government.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
I think massive fines put money that should be going to owners into the hands of an undeserving government.
Agree 100%, but VW will not just get its hands slapped. The EPA is going to hit them hard...and the EPA should mandate that VAG make the owners of the affected vehicles "whole" (for lack of a better term) before they pay any fines or penalties to the Feds. We are the immediate victims in this mess and should be compensated first, not last.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

exactly
Old 03-10-2016, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by soonerfan
Agree 100%, but VW will not just get its hands slapped. The EPA is going to hit them hard...and the EPA should mandate that VAG make the owners of the affected vehicles "whole" (for lack of a better term) before they pay any fines or penalties to the Feds. We are the immediate victims in this mess and should be compensated first, not last.
As an owner of a 2014 Q5 TDI I am deeply disappointed in the events that have occurred with the both the 2.0 and 3.0 TDI. The issues and concerns have been well stated by so many on this forum- whether it be the 'cheating' to beat emissions requirements or the follow up to fixing the problem-VW's response has been slow, ineffective, and less than forthright (to put it mildly).

I agree that owners have been victims; however, so has the general public who has been exposed to the higher emissions of the TDI engines. In addition, there are dealers, employees of VW, suppliers, etc. all of whom placed trust in VW - this trust either has vanished or will be vanished in the near future.

It is times like this that my wish is VW management would NOT listen to attorneys and simply do the right thing. When all is said and done, I believe VW will receive massive fines and all of the benefits of whatever legal advice will provide to mitigate fines is paltry in respect to the lost business that all of VW's products will incur due to the lost of trust. Just own the problem. I do not know if there is a technical fix or not. I am extremely skeptical that there is a fix that is 'easy', since that solution had not been implemented.

Best wishes VW/Audi in resolving this- just keep in mind the problems are more than technical fixes to the emissions controls; you have created a huge problem with trust with customers in the way the whole scandal has been handled. In the end, it may very well be that how poorly handled this whole situation may be much bigger, more important, and longer lasting that the actual emissions issue itself.....

Quick Reply: VW Diesel Emissions News -- Breyer Sets March 24 Deadline