Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

What Seats are preferred for the Q5

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Seats are preferred for the Q5

I ordered the 2015 model Q5. It includes the luxury package with the comfort seats. However I also like the Sports seats which has the thigh support. Loved this feature in my brother-in-law's BMW. For you veteran German car owners, what is your preference. Both have the 12 way adjustable driver and passenger seats which are a must. I will use my Audi (being my first luxury car) to travel the Southeast, and etc. and general around town driving. My driving style is mildly aggressive at times but generally blend in with traffic.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just did a 2 day 1400 mile road trip in the Q with the sport seats and S-line package. Fiddled around with lumbar support etc while driving and found the seats VERY supportive and comfortable with no issues. 65 year old back tolerated it well, and that's with a 2 level cervical fusion.

Never sat in the comfort seat- I prefer the bolsters on the sport seats. Same basic seat in my wife's TTS roadster which we also like.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

In the market now and buying this week, and I have the same question. I like the sport seats for the bolstered sides and firmness, but must admit the perforated Milano is soft and comfy. I suppose if you were getting the SQ5 it is a logical choice for the sport, but comfort is king. I am going Milano leather.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default I have the so called "Sport" seats...

but these are true Sport only in the world of super sizing everything. At 6'1 and 195, I don't fit well in a real sport seat like a true Recaro. But, plenty of room to spare and pack in a few dozen more Big Macs with these.

Seriously, while I do like the thigh extensions being taller, the leather quality on them is not up to the quality of higher end Audis like my A8. I also noticed last summer--as several other posters did too--that the Sport seats get kind of hot on longer drives. Something about the lack of breathing of the particular leather or the foam underneath. Ventilation would have been a good thing for this. The optional Comfort ones would be a better choice if a premium is put on these areas.

Cutting the other way, I also like the paddles you get with the Sport seat option.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-19-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am 66 and went through the same thought process considering the ventilation Vs thigh extension. Since we plan on taking some lengthy trips, I leaned toward the comfort seats. In completing this order, I have learned that it is almost impossible to have a win win situation without a hefty price increase. Seems you are always losing something in the process.... paddle shifters and thigh support with the comfort seats.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:10 AM
tjf
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Seriously, while I do like the thigh extensions being taller, the leather quality on them is not up to the quality of higher end Audis like my A8. I also noticed last summer--as several other posters did too--that the Sport seats get kind of hot on longer drives. Something about the lack of breathing of the particular leather or the foam underneath. Ventilation would have been a good thing for this. The optional Comfort ones would be a better choice if a premium is put on these areas.
That's the big problem with the A8, it spoils you! I almost bought a Q5.... I still might, but it doesn't excite me like the sedans do, both from an interior and a handling standpoint. I look at putting $55k+ down on a car and the interior is nice, but not as nice as it should be.
I really wish they would bring a 6 series Avant stateside.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

We ordered the sport seats on our Q5 3.0T premium plus and are very happy with them. They provide a bit more lateral support when the driving spirit is there. I like the paddle shifters that come with them too.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I didn't test the comfort seats but I personally would all ways choose the sports seats. But that is person preference. I want a seat that will hold me in place, but that comes with a few downsides. I also choose the Nappa leather. I thought it would be easier to keep clean.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by acadianbob
We ordered the sport seats on our Q5 3.0T premium plus and are very happy with them. They provide a bit more lateral support when the driving spirit is there. I like the paddle shifters that come with them too.
Yes, if you loose the sport wheel (flat botton) and the paddle shifter, for me it would be a deal-breaker.

I have to get an easy way to control the transmission (other than the shifter itself). Plus the steering wheel is so great.

I don't know since I've have not tested, but I would test the cooling function of the seat on a hot day it possible to see if it works well. I've read some bad comments about the comfort seats in the Q5 (here or another Q5 forum).
Old 05-20-2014, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Sport Seats All the Way

My wife's Q5 has the sport seats. I like the extra bolstering on the sides and the thigh extensions are excellent for a long drive.
The lumber support is awesome. I do not drive it much, but when I do, it feels great. Even after 4-5 hour drives, you do not feel worn out.
My wife is petite and about 5' tall. The extra bolstering keeps her from sliding around in the seat.

My wife will never use the cooling feature so it was not a big deal for us. Personally, I like the cool seats in my truck on warm/hot days.

Quick Reply: What Seats are preferred for the Q5