Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

What are your gripes about the Q5?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by koobah
larryV, that's quite a "downgrade" from the ML63 to Q5 no?
Not at all. A downgrade in purchase price perhaps. Except for the obvious (the 500+ hp passing power), everything else about the Q5 is better. Nicer interior, superior navigation system, nicer display and electronics, better sounding B&O sound system (ML63's HK system was terrible), much better ride compliance, better steering, handling, more cooperative when tossed into corners (ML63 had good grip but you could still feel all 5200 lbs of it if you try to toss it into corners), smoother and more responsive transmission when using the paddle shifters. Sure the V8 sound of the ML63 was nice and so was it's passing power, but after driving it for 3 years in Chicago traffic as my daily driver, I realized I almost never came close to utilizing all that power yet I still put a dent in my wallet for the 11 mpg it was getting at the pump. The Q5 is plenty quick enough for my purposes and overall is a more enjoyable drive. When I long for V8 power and sound, there's always the M3 parked next to it. This made it a no-brainer decision to "downgrade" from the ML63 to the Q5, although I don't consider it a downgrade at all. Power isn't everything. The Q5 is awesome.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

welcome gIzzE. Your first post on the AW Q5 forum. Does that mean your Q5 is a recent arrival? Do you want to post any details of yours to add to the pot of good cars?
Old 12-15-2009, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by larryV
Not at all. A downgrade in purchase price perhaps. Except for the obvious (the 500+ hp passing power), everything else about the Q5 is better. Nicer interior, superior navigation system, nicer display and electronics, better sounding B&O sound system (ML63's HK system was terrible), much better ride compliance, better steering, handling, more cooperative when tossed into corners (ML63 had good grip but you could still feel all 5200 lbs of it if you try to toss it into corners), smoother and more responsive transmission when using the paddle shifters. Sure the V8 sound of the ML63 was nice and so was it's passing power, but after driving it for 3 years in Chicago traffic as my daily driver, I realized I almost never came close to utilizing all that power yet I still put a dent in my wallet for the 11 mpg it was getting at the pump. The Q5 is plenty quick enough for my purposes and overall is a more enjoyable drive. When I long for V8 power and sound, there's always the M3 parked next to it. This made it a no-brainer decision to "downgrade" from the ML63 to the Q5, although I don't consider it a downgrade at all. Power isn't everything. The Q5 is awesome.
I honestly did not expect that. The ML63 was my dream car ever since I first saw it, but the cost and cost of ownership just do not add up. Even used ones are pricey. I know that for 09 models, they've improved the Nav among other things. Anyway, I noticed you have an S-Line Q5 and was wondering what other options you have.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by koobah
I honestly did not expect that. The ML63 was my dream car ever since I first saw it, but the cost and cost of ownership just do not add up. Even used ones are pricey. I know that for 09 models, they've improved the Nav among other things. Anyway, I noticed you have an S-Line Q5 and was wondering what other options you have.
All options were checked on the Q5 except rear side airbags because I wasn't willing to give up any features I had on the ML63 (extended leather surfaces, adjustable suspension, keyless entry/ignition etc). My Q5 options were: prestige pkg, S-line, luxury package, Audi Drive Select, tow hitch

You're right, for what I was using the ML63 for (grocery getter, daily city traffic commutes) the cost of ownership did not add up. I was getting 11 mpg for no good reason since the powertrain was never utilized to its potential. It's not like I took it to the track like the M3. Not that I care about gas mileage all that much but it's definitely nice to drive a car with as much utility that can average nearly 20 mpg so that friends, relatives, and my gf won't give me any more crap about how large my carbon footprint is.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Overall I'm quite satisfied with the vehicle- build quality , details, options, etc. Now to answer the question posted...

...I wish golf clubs fit across the width of the cargo area. A little rearranging of the location of the compressor and components in the left sidewall would yield an additional 4-5 inches of width, making all the difference. I was soooo close to buying the Suzuk...er...Mercedes GLK because of this...

...concur with others here on the lack of options for closing the rear hatch...

...fewer steps to changing favorite radio stations or advancing tracks- I miss one button presets...

...Nav system routing often chooses to leave major highways despite changing priority settings. Some of the nav functions could be accessed with fewer inputs- navigate to point on map, recall of presets & stored locations, for example. Ability to set MMI to auto-return to map display when navigation is active (or not).

...lack of passenger side heating/cooling beverage holder...

...none of which would change my decision to purchase today!
Old 12-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I too wish my golf clubs would fit width-wise.

Wing mirrors are definitely too large - and I wish they would fold completely as they did on my ML.

A warning light when the rain-sensor is on would be useful.

Would definitely prefer a retractable luggage-area cover.

I also find it inexplicable that the rear hatch can be opened but not closed via the remote control.

10Gb of jukebox space is a joke. What's the point of allowing 32Gb USB sticks and SD cards but then limiting them to 4000 files?
Old 12-15-2009, 04:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've had mine three days.
1.) Wind noise with rack. WTF
2.) Headliner - needs to be more substantial in blocking sun and noise.
3.) Most major cross streets aren't identified on the Nav, nor is the street I'm driving on. Perhaps I need to learn more about the settings.
4.) I sure spend a lot of time looking at the screen and the controls instead of the road.

What do I like? Ergonomics! Everything fits right for my 6'4" self. Lights - they're just too damn cool.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've only had mine a couple of days but I love it and have only minor grips.

The biggest one is the side mirrors are huge! I'm short so I can't see over them and they block quite a bit of my view so driving through parking lots is a little more interesting since I can't see the crazes who like to dart in front of cars (I live in a state where the ped always has the right of way).

I sprayed the windshield for the first time today and not only did it do a good job of spraying the front windshield but both front side windows, the sunroof, and the rear window were hit too. I was sitting at a light so wt?

And I too am guilty of playing with the controls while driving instead of totally paying attention to the road.

A DVD going over MMI functions would have been helpful.

I couldn't figure out how to turn on the digital speedometer. Would have never guessed the reset button (found the answer here!). The manual isn't the most informative guide.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

"A DVD going over MMI functions would have been helpful."

Not necessary. Audi has you covered:

http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/o...ner=layerModal
Old 12-16-2009, 05:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

very small gripe here, but i wish i could turn on the seat warmers without turning on the climate control.

Quick Reply: What are your gripes about the Q5?