Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

What's the point of the plastic "emergency" key...?

Old 01-20-2013, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Telate
The holder in the glovebox is removable - take it out and put it in the place in the dash
Ok, that makes sense. I also didn't know it came out.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It's a "wet key". Works well if you ever go to the pool, beach, or water park since you can just leave the regular key locked in the glovebox and tie the pull out manual key to your swim trunks. Also works well at the car wash for those paranoid about being locked out.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hi Folks,

First post from a first-time Audi owner... :-)

I just purchased a used 2010 Q5 and learned about this emergency key after coming across the empty clip in the glove box. It seems I got both Master keys with my purchase, but not the third emergency key. Is the key really plastic through and through, or is it a metal key with a plastic head? If I order a replacement will it actually be *cut* to match the groves in the Master keys? It is supposed to open the mechanical door lock, is it not?

Thanks in advance.

Scott
Old 02-01-2013, 12:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scottndsky
Hi Folks,

I just purchased a used 2010 Q5 and learned about this emergency key after coming across the empty clip in the glove box. It seems I got both Master keys with my purchase, but not the third emergency key. Is the key really plastic through and through, or is it a metal key with a plastic head? If I order a replacement will it actually be *cut* to match the groves in the Master keys? It is supposed to open the mechanical door lock, is it not?

Thanks in advance.

Scott
Its an exact copy of the emergency keys on your remotes, but completely plastic. It will open the doors, and when placed in the holder and stuck in the ignition, will start the car.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to worry...
when we bought our new Q,
it had neither the plastic key nor the holder - all we had was the empty spot for it in the glovebox
but we've not missed it !

on edit - as usual Spijun comes in with the definitive post

Now I know what the piece I missing is called now - the spare key adapter!
Attached Images  

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 02-01-2013 at 02:31 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Hi Folks,
Thanks in advance.
Scott
Old 02-01-2013, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the follow up posts. I think I'll spend the ~$200 to order the replacement key and have it programmed to the car. I initiated the "self test" by pressing the reset button below the tach. It revealed that three keys were indeed registered to the car: "L2 3/3". Yet, I'm only in possession of two of them. At a minimum I suppose I should go to the dealer and have the current third key removed from the list.

Wow, is that a scan of the manual, or do you have a PDF copy of it? I'd love to have a PDF copy of the manual if you know where I can find one.

Thanks again,
Scott
Old 02-03-2013, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Who does the actual cutting of new keys? I see un-cut keys for sale on Ebay, etc. Yet, if I buy an un-cut key can my dealer program it *and* cut the correct key pattern into the plastic?

Thanks,
Scott
Old 02-03-2013, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Dealer sourced keys on newer Audis come from...

Audi parts warehouse already pre cut. They are ordered by your VIN and w/ your driver's license and registration provided, to confirm it's really you and your car.

You can get a key blank cut at some locksmiths--it's called a sidecut key. But, those only work for a roughly pre-2001 Audi when they put in the electronic key interlock with the car. For Audi's that have a physical key slot for the door, they still work to open or lock it manually. But, you can't start the car so it is an unlikely solution. On my 2000 A6 which was just before the electronic key handshake I can actually go this route--and have. But for my 2006, it's basically dealer only. It can be done mail/web dealer order too if you scan them the i.d. documents (and they trust you--I've done this too), but you still need to see local dealer for the final programming.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Who does the actual cutting of new keys? I see un-cut keys for sale on Ebay, etc. Yet, if I buy an un-cut key can my dealer program it *and* cut the correct key pattern into the plastic?

Thanks,
Scott
All keys are made exclusively in Audi Ingolstadt
Not one Audi dealer in the world can not make a key

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What's the point of the plastic "emergency" key...?