Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Wheel lock key

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 04:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel lock key

Does anyone know where the wheel lock key is located? Is it with the spare tire? Thxs
Old 01-31-2012, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did they come stock with wheel locks? mine didn't, I got some aftermarkets and it was initially in the glove box, but I've since put it with the tools under the rear cargo....
Old 02-01-2012, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I was not aware the Audis came with one.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

In S Africa, this is standard. Probably find your car on bricks in no time otherwise.....

The lock takes the form of one wheel nut bolt on each wheel having a unique shape and cut/grooves, can only be loosened using a matching wrench "key" supplied with the car. Without this key, a normal wheel bolt wrench has no chance of removing it.

Stored in the lower boot along with the toolkit in its own special cutout alongside the cap puller to remove the wheel nut trims.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by GregH
In S Africa, this is standard. Probably find your car on bricks in no time otherwise.....

The lock takes the form of one wheel nut bolt on each wheel having a unique shape and cut/grooves, can only be loosened using a matching wrench "key" supplied with the car. Without this key, a normal wheel bolt wrench has no chance of removing it.

Stored in the lower boot along with the toolkit in its own special cutout alongside the cap puller to remove the wheel nut trims.
I forgot that our 01' RX300 had key lock - same as this.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi
lost my tire key, where to buy?
Old 05-17-2017, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

They are not all the same. You probably need to contact your dealership.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I think there's a place in the foam that the tools are in, there's a cutout and that's where my key is. It also could be in the box the lugs were in and your old one's are most likly there.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by raffygu
Hi
lost my tire key, where to buy?
If your wheel locks are Audi branded then your Audi dealer will have them. The key code should be on a sticker stuck beside the PR Sticker in the spare wheel well. This is true if the Audi dealer techs did their due diligence and stuck the sticker where it should be. If you do not have the key code, it will be difficult or next to impossible for the dealer to find out which code fits as there are several variations.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by plat27265
If your wheel locks are Audi branded then your Audi dealer will have them. The key code should be on a sticker stuck beside the PR Sticker in the spare wheel well. This is true if the Audi dealer techs did their due diligence and stuck the sticker where it should be. If you do not have the key code, it will be difficult or next to impossible for the dealer to find out which code fits as there are several variations.
Yep, like about 20. More than there are for roof rack IIRC, which has a similar dilemma if the bolt down wrench gets lost. There is a wheel lock master kit dealers in theory may have that has all the variants in it for use in service. In practice however, last time it came up on one of my Audis for routine service at a fairly high volume servicing dealer, advisor called me to ask where the tool was so they could get the wheels off. I told them: duh, in...the stock location with the tool set...

Quick Reply: Wheel lock key