Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Wheel spacers

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 06:48 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by yeshdolph1
Jason

I have a 2014 SQ5 wanted the more aggressive stance, Measured like i saw on sites and I want the flush look and not have road spray all over the side of the car. Was thinking 12.5 or 15mm.

Its about 2/3 of inch room when measured with yard stick going down and using tape measure inside.

Let me know.
Thanks
3rds isn't really a common form of measurement in inches. I'd assume its more like 9/16, 5/8, 11/16's?

Jason
Old 09-09-2013, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jason

I have a 2014 SQ5 wanted the more aggressive stance, Measured like i saw on sites and I want the flush look and not have road spray all over the side of the car. Was thinking 12.5 or 15mm.

Its about 2/3 of inch room when measured with yard stick going down and using tape measure inside.

Let me know.
Thanks
Old 09-09-2013, 11:29 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

See my response above.

Jason
Old 09-09-2013, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

5/8
I failed math as a kid so this is not my strongpoint.

So with 5/8 i want to fill the wheel gap but not have the road spray all over the car.
So should I go with 12.5 mm
15mm
or 17mm.

Want agressive yet still clean

Let me know and thanks for your time,.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts
Default It's a tradeoff

As you move the wheels out, it will get more spray. You can tone it down with the lower fender add ons, but many don't like the look.

If you take the same yardstick and hold it out from the tire similar to proposed spacer width but instead point it back toward the front door at various angles, you'll get a sense of how much of the car will be exposed to direct spray off the wheels--and not just the general cloud you see coming off any vehicle in the rain. As the body rolls in toward the bottom, it will get somewhat more.

FWIW though, on my A8 i have it spaced pretty far and at least in pretty sunny CA, no big deal. And in Tahoe by winter, frankly the side of the car gets blasted w/ the mud sort of look almost no matter what the spacers (or not)--a lot of the dirt comes off other vehicles throwing up spray that sticks to the whole side.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I live in LA so rain not a big issue. What is the idea behind front and rear being different sizes. I see a lot of guys doing that.

Thanks for the info
Old 09-09-2013, 11:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts
Default Front and rear differences and issues

Probably the main reason is simply how they look on a vehicle. Because front fenders tend to roll inward up toward the hood while the sheet metal of rear fenders is more vertical above, the rears often run wider to give the same appearance of pushing out toward the fender line. Fronts also have to clear with turning movements, while rear potential rubbing concerns are much simpler. One thing to be careful of in front with smaller spacing sizes is whether or not they are truly hubcentric--that is, lock into the hub center so the wheel placement and support doesn't rely on just the lug bolts. For example, my experience with H&R's is they need at least 12mm to be hub centric, and even then some of the part numbers are, while others aren't. By 15 mm in at least that brand, they are hubcentric in general from my prior experience with them.

What folks don't dwell on a lot are any reservations about bearing load (particularly with big spacer sizes) and separately, how they could affect understeer/oversteer at the limit particularly if differentially sized front to back. The newer style Audi hub centers (basically, larger) have allowed larger bearing sizing. Also, actually even with spacers on something like a Q5, I've seen at least equally aggressive factory offsets on a few other Audis like the original C5 allroad. On theoretical handling effects, frankly on a Q or SQ5, the ride height, the soft suspension and a whole lot of unsprung weight with some of the larger brakes and the large tire and wheel diameters would have me looking in a bunch of other areas before I worried or thought much much about fine tuning marginal at limit handling w/ any spacer tweaks or differences front to back.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 09-09-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:00 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Originally Posted by yeshdolph1
5/8
I failed math as a kid so this is not my strongpoint.

So with 5/8 i want to fill the wheel gap but not have the road spray all over the car.
So should I go with 12.5 mm
15mm
or 17mm.

Want agressive yet still clean

Let me know and thanks for your time,.
5/8's gives you roughly 15.8mmm of space to work with. 17mm would have you poking out past the fenders 15mm would be about as flush as you could go and 12.5mm will be semi flush but still tucked in the fenders slightly.

Unfortunately keeping the "spray" of the side of the vehicle is more or less impossible unless the tire is completely 100% tucked inside the wheel well. Avoiding big puddles will help keep back splash off the sides of the vehicle but besides that if its raining its almost always going to get sprayed.

Keep the vehicles paint sealed and waxed and you'll have lest dirt accumulate on the paint.

Jason
Old 04-05-2014, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

10mm front
20mm rear
Old 04-30-2014, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Looking to push the rears out for a bit more aggressive stance on my wife's sq5.

What is the smallest spacer that retains the hub-centric mount point?

I would like to do 10-12mm.

Thx.

Quick Reply: Wheel spacers