Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

White Smoke Coming From Exhaust After Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White Smoke Coming From Exhaust After Oil Change

I just bought a used 2015 2.0T Q5 with around 55k miles from a dealership for my wife. Had all the inspections and is in great shape. Have been driving it for over a month and no issues and love the car. She took it into a Valvoline oil change center to get the oil changed on it and just came home and noticed smoke from the exhaust. I moved the car to a flat area near my house to try to get an accurate oil level check and smoke was terrible coming from the exhaust it looked like the car was on fire. I turned it off and it is sitting in the same spot.

The receipt for the oil change shows 4.9 quarts which should be the correct amount and it was 5W40 Adv Full SYnthetic MST Oil API. Does it sound like this issue is due to overfilling if they actually added more than what the receipt shows? It has to be something with the change considering it drove fine since we bought it and the first trip she noticed this.

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 05-15-2018, 12:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by connor016
I just bought a used 2015 2.0T Q5 with around 55k miles from a dealership for my wife. Had all the inspections and is in great shape. Have been driving it for over a month and no issues and love the car. She took it into a Valvoline oil change center to get the oil changed on it and just came home and noticed smoke from the exhaust. I moved the car to a flat area near my house to try to get an accurate oil level check and smoke was terrible coming from the exhaust it looked like the car was on fire. I turned it off and it is sitting in the same spot.

The receipt for the oil change shows 4.9 quarts which should be the correct amount and it was 5W40 Adv Full SYnthetic MST Oil API. Does it sound like this issue is due to overfilling if they actually added more than what the receipt shows? It has to be something with the change considering it drove fine since we bought it and the first trip she noticed this.

First checks:
Check engine sump drain plug.
Check engine oil end cap and oil dipstick bung.

Other checks.
Check PCV and diverter valve
Remove engine oil and measure it, also check its consistency and colour.

Check this link for sources of q5 exhaust smoke
https://www.carboncleaningusa.com/de.../audi/q5-2-0-l

Last edited by apoelistas; 05-15-2018 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by connor016

If overfilled your oil level display on the MMI. Will indicate an overfill.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the info and unfortunately there was no notification of too much oil. I talked with the oil service center and said I had to take it back to them otherwise it would void any warranties if any repairs needed to be made. They poured out 7.75 qts, about 60% more oil than what is called for (probably was over 8 with the oil filter and what was spilled). At this point I am concerned of any damage that could have occurred or long term issues that could come out of this. The exhaust was smoking like a chimney (still does some but not as bad) and there was a layer of soot on the exhaust tips so I can only imagine what the emission systems looks like. Also could foul up spark plugs, etc among engine damage.

Going to work with their supervisor to see what they are willing to do. I think the next best step would be to take it to an Audi dealership and have them run a diagnostics check.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I would worry about oil fouling possibly messing the Audi's complicated "not just your ordinary PCV" assembly, which in turn can lead to major engine damage. Might ask the Audi dealer about that in particular. You may find the Valvoline guy bulks at what an Audi diagnostic can cost, but they really did screw up on the oil change! If they're reluctant to absorb the cost, the words "Do you really want to waste time in small claims court over this?" often can help.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

There's also no question, based on your description, that your catalytic converter have been compromised.This has to be addressed !
Old 05-17-2018, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Plus he was soooo way overfilled, that the crankshaft most likely was hitting the oil creating foam, thus the possibility of the engine being starved of proper lubrication for a long time. This major screw-up could have taken thousands of miles of life off the bearings, etc. No dealer diagnostics are going to tell you that unless they pull the engine and look at, and mic, the main and connecting rod bearings. I would take this to court and demand at least $10K to cover future problems down the road............
Old 05-17-2018, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Stressed out since our Q5 does not give an overfill warning. Overfilling is always a risk with Audi oil measuring system. Does not give the ability to measure how max is max. Thus I have ordered another oil dipstick (my previous one was not fully accurate thus removed).

I wish you the best of luck, because I don't think that anyone will give you 10 grant for future engine block, catalyst etc damages without going to court. You need an expert technical current / future damages assessment cost report to justify the magnitude. Can Audi provide such assessment;;

Last edited by apoelistas; 05-17-2018 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

My 2011 says it is overfilled and to drain some oil if it is over filled. Did it when I first got it and used a little oil during break in and added a little too much.
I siphoned some out through the dip stick port with a squeeze bottle for suction to start the process.
Never saw any smoke but only a few ounces over filled. Since then I only put about half of what you would think looking at the gauge before a long trip.
Almost 70K and use about a quart or so in 10K.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

not understanding the white smoke, from my exp. engines that are burning/passing oil emit bluish smoke??

Quick Reply: White Smoke Coming From Exhaust After Oil Change