Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

This is why people hate dealerships....

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 02:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default This is why people hate dealerships....

Took my wife's Q5 in for an oil change - special on dealers website said $39.95 oil change special (but naturally footnote said did not apply to all cars - additional charges may apply)

So I figured it would be a 'little' more.

I get there and ask - they said no it doens't at all - an oil change for the Q5 TDI is $240. I said that's insane! They tried to justify that it was diesel it's somehow a lot more labor - BS.

I was there so just decided to do it this one time there and go to my indy shop (which would have been $100) next time. When I went to pay the total jumped to $305! 'well it needed more oil or something' they said. I told them wasn't paying $305 - cause I told you already $240 was crazy. They revised it to $240.

Once I hit 120,000 miles and pass the TDI warranty they won't be seeing me again.... ever!
Old 06-01-2019, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Which dealer?
Old 06-01-2019, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You ca do it yourself for about $50 of materials ( oil & filter).
You do have to remove about 20 screws to take the bottom cover off
Old 06-01-2019, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by arter
Agree with the DIY'er. Great way to save money plus it is done right.

I have a 2014 Q5 (bought June 2013), so it is 6 years old. I only drive it about 3K miles a year. Even so maintenance is the same per year.

Total cost to date as a DIY'er is $350 which includes the cost of a new $150 battery that I changed last year just because it had 5 years on the OEM one.

So that comes out to be about $60 per year running cost.

I have owned 3 Audis and only went to the dealer for the first free oil change or any recalls/warranty issues. They really never see me until I buy a new vehicle.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
Agree with the DIY'er. Great way to save money plus it is done right.

I have a 2014 Q5 (bought June 2013), so it is 6 years old. I only drive it about 3K miles a year. Even so maintenance is the same per year.

Total cost to date as a DIY'er is $350 which includes the cost of a new $150 battery that I changed last year just because it had 5 years on the OEM one.

So that comes out to be about $60 per year running cost.

I have owned 3 Audis and only went to the dealer for the first free oil change or any recalls/warranty issues. They really never see me until I buy a new vehicle.
I agree 100%, do it yourself if you can.. I have a 14' as well, and have put quite a bit into maintenance as I don't have the back strength, a lift, or the tools to do it myself. For instance, I have ruptured discs in my back, and so don't want to try and lift and position an OEM battery. BTW, the stealership's service manager told me the battery on our car doesn't need to be changed for 7-9 years, unless it shows signs of weakening. Ours still seems to be going strong at 65k miles and 6 yrs old.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arter
It's more like less $30.

I use Mobil 1 0W-40. With rebate, it's $10 for 5qts. $30 for TWO oil changes. less than $15 for a filter.

If you buy an evacuator (such as Mityvac 7201, got mine for $90 shipped), the oil change is so easy, a wife can do it with no problems. Suck out oil, replace filter, refill. No mess. You don't even need gloves. 30 min tops. Dealers are using the same method.

Unfortunately, my evacuator was stolen when I forgot to close my garage door. I had to crawl down to take the bottom off this time. Even with that it's still pretty easy.

Last edited by visionguru; 06-01-2019 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I absolutely do all my own maintenance with my old audis and all my cars - only reason I needed this documented was due to the 3.0TDI extended warranty - a DIY oil change probably wouldn't fly if I had a an engine claim etc down the line. Dealer was West Palm Beach Audi
Old 06-01-2019, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Pretty sure oil change anywhere as long as you have the detailed paper work would be ok.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

"Once I hit 120,000 miles and pass the TDI warranty"
What shokhead said. There is federal case law, binding for the entire US, that says you can have your routine performance done anywhere by anyone, including yourself, and your warranty still applies. The Magnusson-Moss Act and other federal warranty laws further enforce that. And your dealer knows this--even if they deny it. As long as you can show that the oil changes were done on schedule with products that meet OEM spec, your warranty is in effect. That means save your receipts, or the end tab of the oil filter box, or anything similar. Your "proof" only has to be reasonable, it doesn't have to be notarized and timestamped. The courts have actually ruled--and the FTC has brought enforcement actions--that say the warrantor (Audi) has to PROVE that your acts caused the failure, not just that you "might" have.
It really is that simple, here in the US. Has been for probably 50 years at this point.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I’m going to put forward an opinion in support of OP now. Yes, Magnusson-Moss says what it says, but dealers have a lot of latitude to go to bat for me or, conversely, make it very difficult for me to collect on a covered repair. Therefore, I am going to give my dealer some business because I want them to see that I have “darkened their door.” In the case of my Q5, that meant buying an Audi Care service package covering three maintenance intervals. It helps that they do good work, always give a loaner, etc.

Now, when I need a battery, I am going to do what Bob did, LOL.

Quick Reply: This is why people hate dealerships....