Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Wind noise (whistling) from passenger side, side-view mirror?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JohnBoyToo:

Would you have the TSB number? My Q5 seems to be a harder down shift from 2nd to first, almost like you stepping harder on the brake. Maybe the TSB addresses this. Thanks for the reply. Car 5
Old 12-05-2011, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a thread on it :
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2816337

Hope this helps - ours shifts almost imperceptibly...
one of the best features of the car !
Old 01-20-2012, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I went to the dealer today to complain a wind noise coming from the pilot and passenger window. The technician indicated the noise was caused by the wind deflectors that are installed in the windshield. Has anyone been told the same? I will test with the mirror folded to see if the noise goes away.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have the same wind noise and the dealer said Audi does not have a fix. First I heard of wind deflectors, do you know what they are talking about? If you fold mirrors in the noise goes away,but kinda hard driving with the mirror folded in. Let me know how you make out? Car 5
Old 01-23-2012, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I posted back in mid July (see page one) about my driver side mirror making a high pitch whistle. Only had like 3k miles on it. Dealer got a full replacement authorized. Problem solved right? Well... now I'm having a similar issue on the right side (passenger). Above 65 mph, I get the whistle again. Got my 15k audicare service coming up. Will definitely be bringing up the issue. I probably first noticed it (when it started?) at around 12k miles, so only recently.

My Honda never had this issue... whats up Audi?
Old 01-23-2012, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I am going to call my dealer and again inquire if there is is a fix for the wind noise. I will let you know what he says. Car 5
Old 01-24-2012, 07:49 AM
PEF
Audiworld Junior Member

The fix for the wind noise in my case was a complete replacement of the side-view mirror housing (approved by some central Audi location). Audi asked that the dealer send my mirror and housing in for testing.

I too had the problem repeat on the opposite side and had that replaced as well.

I haven't had the problem since replacing both. On the down side, I wonder if the paint job will weather equally with the rest of the car and I swear the mirror's they put in give a different (more squat) view but I have nothing to compare against.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:17 PM
rez
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I have an early build 2012 with the whistling noise coming from both the driver and passenger sides - thought it sounded like a door seal issue with air getting past the door seal - from reading this thread it seems more likely that it's the mirrors - ours has the side assist - noise is generated above approx 75 mph (120 kph) in a cross-wind and above 85 mph (140 kph) in a calm wind situation. And I get that the latter is an extra legal speed but really dont they drive faster than this on the autobahn, I can't imagine German drivers putting up with that. Guess I'll have to take it up with the dealer. Also it's particularly disappointing in the context that my '04 Civic doesn't produce any of this drama at those speeds (yes it easily does 140).
Old 01-27-2012, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a bothersome thing for the wife too as it's her daily driver, I usually don't notice it as much as I usually have 'something' - radio, media, engine ! - cranked up so it masks it (hearing affected by too many rock concerts in my 'formative' years )

the dealer didn't even put it on my svc list when I gave him my 'list' for our 5k service ...

guess I will need to remind him of it and see what they say...
Old 05-21-2012, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default whistling noise from mirror

I finally got my whistling noise fixed. I took the service manager for a ride along and rolled down my drivers window and put my finger on the whistle. He said he would order a new mirror housing right away. Had it put on last week and whistle is gone. Kudos to the dealer (Schmitts). Happy car5 now.

Quick Reply: Wind noise (whistling) from passenger side, side-view mirror?