Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Window/pano tint % question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Window/pano tint % question

Anyone have a good % to exact match Front windows and Pano roof to the factory tinted back ones?

I've never tinted a car before.

Going to darken out the front ambers as well.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Keep in mind WV tint laws require at least 35% transmission of light for the front side windows and rear window for all cars and SUVs. There is no minimum requirement for rear side windows in SUVs so the manf uses a darker tint, reported to be metered at close to 27%.

Also keep in mind that the factory tint of the front windows are at 93% light transmissionwhich would need to be factored to stay legal. A 40% tint would come in around 37% (40*.93). A 35% tint would end up at close to 32.5% (35*.93) or below the legal minimum in WV.

Last edited by snagitseven; 06-18-2016 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ThunderDent
Anyone have a good % to exact match Front windows and Pano roof to the factory tinted back ones?

I've never tinted a car before.

Going to darken out the front ambers as well.
It's pretty hard to match exactly. You can get the % to match, but the factory tint is basically baked into the glass and has a slightly different color tone than most films. That being said, Pinnacle 30 matches pretty damn close if you're not touching the rears at all.

Check out this recent thread: Q5 Tint Questions (I searched a lot)

Last edited by riceboy22; 06-18-2016 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Pano tint has not limit, you can tint it as dark as you like.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks guys. I'm pretty tiny illiterate. I've never really messed with them before.

I started considering just the pano roof because I have the baby in the back, but then thought about trying to match as close as I could the fronts.

I know there are laws in place, but didn't know for sure what was what.
So I appreciate you checking into that for me @snagitseven.

My custom tint/wrap shop is in WV, so I may just tell them to match as dark as they can get but still legal. And the Pano roof I may go darker.

Anyone tint out the ambers? (Don't really want to mess with the Ecodes, but they do look tempting). Thoughts on those?
Old 06-18-2016, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes, checking with your tint shop is the place to start. They can help with %'s, matching, legality etc. s. They do it all of the time.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

"Anyone tint out the ambers? "
Remember there are federal (DOT) rules regarding every marker light on a car. Mainly the rear lights and reflectors, but if you reduce the visibility of the front makers or turn lights, that may be problematic as well.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Redd
"Anyone tint out the ambers? "
Remember there are federal (DOT) rules regarding every marker light on a car. Mainly the rear lights and reflectors, but if you reduce the visibility of the front makers or turn lights, that may be problematic as well.
WV Code Chapter 17C Article 15

According to WV State law, passenger vehicles only have to have Front Head Lamps (white) and Rear Tail lights (Red) lit from dusk until dawn. There are no side or any other marker requirements on passenger vehicles.
(Note: motorcycles, mopeds, etc have to have headlamps on at all times upon entering a highway.)

The only Amber side marker specifications in the code are for: passenger busses, trucks, truck tractors, and certain trailers, semitrailers, and pole trailers.

So turning off Side Amber Marker lights in VCDS, tinting them, or installing ECodes should be legal. At least in my state.

Last edited by ThunderDent; 06-19-2016 at 06:27 AM.
Old 06-19-2016, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

When I said "problematic" that would also include you sitting in a court, while the guy who ran into you said "Well, your honor, I couldn't see him in the fog because he disabled his marker lights" in a major lawsuit. Yes, these things happen. (In fact, a normal forensic workup tests to see if incandescent bulbs were on, off, or burned out during a situation like that.)

And of course, there are no "DOT cops" on the highways, but DOT regulations also apply in WV, even in the state laws don't require the same equipment. (Like the crash bars that are in the front doors of every US car.)

So there may be no WV code that applies, or there may be a more obscure WV code that applies to "disabling safety equipment", or it may be perfectly legal. I'd still call it problematic and a potential liability to disable safety markers.

Some states prohibit the use of emergency flashers on the highway, period. Others--and I think that includes the ICC regulating trucks--require all vehicles moving below the minimum speed limit to use their emergency flashers. So in heavy rain, many drivers, most truckers, some states, you put on the flashers to increase visibility for safety. In other states, they require you to be unsafe. Guess which I'd do, regardless of state laws? I'll opt for the safer solution every time. Although I'll argue that speed limits are NOT a safety rule. If they were, we'd all be driving at five or ten miles per hour, because that's SO much safer than 55.(G)

Just one man's opinion.

Last edited by Redd; 06-19-2016 at 07:25 AM.