AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/)
-   -   Windshield wiper fluid low warning constantly on (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/windshield-wiper-fluid-low-warning-constantly-2864561/)

jack-e-son 04-15-2014 01:30 PM

Windshield wiper fluid low warning constantly on

Took delivery of my car in October and with the many snow storms, i filled my fluid reservoir a few times. OEM - RainX - Prestone - RainX - RainX.. After i ran down the Prestone and filled it with RainX, the light never went off. I left it alone and ran it down to about 3/4 gallon, probably not enough to get it low but it should have done something. But the light is still on..

Is there a simple DIY fix for this or should i just go back to the dealer?

I do have a VAGCOM cable on order, would disabling it just be easier?

Thanks

Kobi's Q 04-15-2014 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by jack-e-son (Post 24560255)
Took delivery of my car in October and with the many snow storms, i filled my fluid reservoir a few times. OEM - RainX - Prestone - RainX - RainX.. After i ran down the Prestone and filled it with RainX, the light never went off. I left it alone and ran it down to about 3/4 gallon, probably not enough to get it low but it should have done something. But the light is still on..

Thanks

Yes there is a fix, don't use rainX anymore it screws up the sensor somehow. Try doing a search as this was a hot topic just a few weeks ago where it is happening to a lot of drivers. I believe the old RainX will still work, either way it was covered in detail. Sorry I can't remember the details of why. Good news is there is nothing wrong with your Q.

uberwgn 04-15-2014 01:40 PM

Yeah, a lot of reported issues recently with RainX coating the level sensor....

jack-e-son 04-15-2014 02:58 PM

Really? i literally did a search before hand.

Is there a quick way to empty the reservoir or am i stuck with it until it gets empty again?

other than that.. would it go away automatically after i drain and refill with some other brand fluid?

brutus23079 04-15-2014 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by jack-e-son (Post 24560282)
Really? i literally did a search before hand.

Is there a quick way to empty the reservoir or am i stuck with it until it gets empty again?

other than that.. would it go away automatically after i drain and refill with some other brand fluid?

A noble effort on your search. Here's the thread in question.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...=rain-x+washer

jack-e-son 04-15-2014 03:55 PM

I read that thread. Albeit a while ago. And not thoroughly

Thanks again.

brutus23079 04-15-2014 04:01 PM

No sweat. Bottom line is that enough people are having issues that I'm staying away from ye 'ol "orange stuff".

uberwgn 04-15-2014 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by jack-e-son (Post 24560282)

Wait for a rainy day and spray it all out as you drive. Flush with 1/2 gal of water and refill with a better product. I really don't know if it's going to be adequate to clean the sensor, but it won't hurt.

osideaudi 04-15-2014 04:05 PM

Edited: Nevermind I'm dumb

ssteigss 04-16-2014 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by jack-e-son (Post 24560255)

Thanks

Had exact issue a few weeks back. Dealer told me rainex causes the sensor to malfunction. They emptied and refilled. Light was off for 1 day. Ultimately they had to replace sensor for light to go out. Audi needs to issue warning to customers.