Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

windshield wipers moves (re-adjust) itself after turn off the car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 06:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've also been aware of the wipers adjusting when the ignition is turned off, and I've checked--it definitely happens when the wiper switch is in the off position. And definitely not in service mode!
Old 11-15-2012, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

This is normal
You may have noticed when you unlock the car and open the driver's door to hear the hum - it's the fuel pump that creates pressure.
There are some systems that run in the background without knowledge the driver

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
make sure your MMI settings is not set to Servicing Wiper blade
When the wipers in the service position, go to the middle of the windshield not 1/4 inch

Last edited by spijun; 11-15-2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Just another example of fine German engineering. The servo that is responsible for that minute adjustment is surely a $500 part.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm fairly sure that the movement when the car is off is the wipers putting themselves into a "park" position. Many wipers have a non-op position that moves the arm up a slight ramp effect to lift the wiper element off of the glass. This prolongs the useful life of the wiper by not having it under constant pressure.

My Q5 is waiting to be built, and my A4 doesn't have auto wipers, so I can't confirm, but this would be my guess.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Every 3rd trip without using the wipers they will move about 8mm so that the wipers don't take a set so they work better. Even in off position. My brother's 2013 A6 does it too.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have the same wiper moves, and like I read upper I think it's normal.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5
Every 3rd trip without using the wipers they will move about 8mm so that the wipers don't take a set so they work better.
Interesting theory. Perhaps that's the reason they've done it.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have experienced this on my '13 TT the same 'movement' in the wipers when I shut off my car. This happens about every third time. So, I asked the service tech and after the 2nd time in the shop, they stated this is a NORMAL PROCEDURE. Apprently, when you shut off the car the wiper moves up 1/2 inch so that the wipers can rest in on the other side of the wiper blade. Basically, it helps keep the blade last longer.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Dxman
I have experienced this on my '13 TT the same 'movement' in the wipers when I shut off my car. This happens about every third time. So, I asked the service tech and after the 2nd time in the shop, they stated this is a NORMAL PROCEDURE. Apprently, when you shut off the car the wiper moves up 1/2 inch so that the wipers can rest in on the other side of the wiper blade. Basically, it helps keep the blade last longer.

Yup. That's why. I had the same feature on my 09 GTI. That way your blade don't warp.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Somewhat related- a couple weeks ago I noticed that my right windshield wiper (the one in front of the front passenger seat) won't retract all the way. I'm well aware of how they go from a "ready" position to a full retract position after a small amount of time while not in use, and they usually did just that... only now, the right one "sticks". It's probably about 2-3 inches above the full retract position. The driver side one retracts like normal, below the hood and out of sight. There's nothing blocking the wiper arm from retracting all the way that I can see, and I've tried switching through different modes, turning on service mode and then off, etc with no luck. The wiper works fine in the rain, it just won't retract all the way. What gives?

Quick Reply: windshield wipers moves (re-adjust) itself after turn off the car?