Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Snow Chain/Cable for SQ5

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow Chain/Cable for SQ5

Has anyone had any experience with snow cable of chains with the SQ5? I have the 21" rims for my SQ5. If I ventured into snow quite often I would consider on getting a set of snow tires but I'll probably drive in the snow once or twice a year for couple of hours.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So summer tires and chains will make it work better?

chains also have a bad habit of damaging rims...especially low profile 21" rims.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I would rather put all season tires on my 2nd car and drive that in the snow if it's only once or twice a year.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Boy, good luck w/ that...

Take a look at the front clearance between the tire tread face and the suspension element above--not the inside, but the top of the tire.

That means in reality you would probably need to put them on the back. Not a great result. Plus, that leaves the two more heavily braked wheels up front w/ summer tires only, and two wheels braked by some cables over the same lousy-for-winter tread. Sounds like a recipe for both spins and body damage could be in the offing here.

I would get real snows, abandon the 21's/summer only or simply park it for any snow.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

My C7 manual states that snow chains may be fitted "only" to the front wheels and only to certain tire sizes. Then it goes on to say they must be installed on the front wheels "at least" which would seem to indicate they could be used on all four tires. Confusing. Also it states that chains must have low-profile links not thicker than 0.4" including the lock. I would think that having chains only on one set of wheels could cause potential damage to the quattro mechanicals due to the resulting different wheel diameters as well as confuse the ESP/DSR. Generally, I would think dedicated winter tires are the better choice or at the least, a winter biased UHP all season tire like the Conti DWS if snow travel is limited.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

For this type of application, you might consider this:

http://www.autosock.us/

I doubt that would harm your rims. However, everything everyone's saying about snow/all season tires is true. The tough part of your scenario is that I'm hard pressed to think about those solutions for "a couple hours" a year in snow. If it's a real scenario, then the socks might work for you. They should not be driven on pavement for any length of time.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by dmicah
For this type of application, you might consider this:

http://www.autosock.us/

I doubt that would harm your rims. However, everything everyone's saying about snow/all season tires is true. The tough part of your scenario is that I'm hard pressed to think about those solutions for "a couple hours" a year in snow. If it's a real scenario, then the socks might work for you. They should not be driven on pavement for any length of time.
Interesting. But at $110 for a pair, the potential wear is concerning. You have to remove them immediately before non-smowy pavement or they could be gone in a trip. It sounds like they are designed for short distances in snow covered roads and for a long haul in the mountains, they might not last too long. The axle wrap warning also gives pause.
http://www.autosock.co.uk/pdfs/autos...r-and-tear.pdf
Old 02-14-2014, 11:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Interesting. But at $110 for a pair, the potential wear is concerning. You have to remove them immediately before non-smowy pavement or they could be gone in a trip. It sounds like they are designed for short distances in snow covered roads and for a long haul in the mountains, they might not last too long. The axle wrap warning also gives pause.
http://www.autosock.co.uk/pdfs/autos...r-and-tear.pdf
I have a pair of these that I've never used. I like that if I'm not in the car, I believe in my wife or daughter's ability to mount them and use them. They're not an alternative to winter tires, but can get you out of a jam.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Checked online and it seems like Autosock does not make it for the 21" tire size. (255/40/R21) Is there any other solution similar to this?
Old 02-15-2014, 06:10 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

As others have said...do not do this...
The cheapest set of winter wheels and tires for an SQ5 on Tirerack is only $1200. Far cheaper than an SQ5 in a ditch with possible injuries.

Quick Reply: Snow Chain/Cable for SQ5