Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Winter wheels for Q5

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter wheels for Q5

I am currently running 8"x20" OEM Audi wheels with a 33mm offset. I would like to buy some 8"x18" OEM Audi wheels (for winter tires) but they have a 39mm offset. Is this variation in offsets too large? Will it have any impact on the vehicle's handling, steering or braking?
Old 07-09-2019, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

That should not be an issue at 39mm ET. Tire Rack's 18" offerings for the Gen 1 Q5 generally range from 30mm up to 42mm ET.

Welcome aboard, Quinn !!
Old 07-09-2019, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

FWIW, I suspect you don't have the correct specs here--on the existing wheels. Typical Audi Q5 for 20's are 8 ½" with a 33 offset, rather than 8". The 18's and 19's have the 8" width. Assuming so, then the 8" alternative at ET40 lines up essentially the same on the inside. On the outside you lose that ½"/12mm. In a winter situation you probably want the tires a little further in anyway to avoid the road crud all down the side of the vehicle.

The handling, braking steering point is all relative to conditions. Not sure it has a good answer, or rather you should be more specific on your objectives. If your rest of year 8-½'s have 255's and are summers on a dry reasonable temperature track they will run circles around the winter set up. And on a winter frozen parking lot or road curve, they will spin and slide and all the other unsafe nasties. All seasons will sort of split the difference. If you mean run winters on a dry surface and like me you are in a moderate coastal climate headed to mountains occasionally, the winters will be some compromise in the mild weather, maybe mostly on tread noise, but will be the definite right set up come snow, ice and road crud. If you are in harsh conditions and elect to narrow tire width as many do to get better road bite, that may affect dry braking some. The 18's will cause more tire roll but will also soak up the pot holes and bumps a lot better.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 07-09-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
FWIW, I suspect you don't have the correct specs here--on the existing wheels. Typical Audi Q5 for 20's are 8 ½" with a 33 offset, rather than 8". The 18's and 19's have the 8" width. Assuming so, then the 8" alternative at ET40 lines up essentially the same on the inside. On the outside you lose that ½"/12mm. In a winter situation you probably want the tires a little further in anyway to avoid the road crud all down the side of the vehicle.

The handling, braking steering point is all relative to conditions. Not sure it has a good answer, or rather you should be more specific on your objectives. If your rest of year 8-½'s have 255's and are summers on a dry reasonable temperature track they will run circles around the winter set up. And on a winter frozen parking lot or road curve, they will spin and slide and all the other unsafe nasties. All seasons will sort of split the difference. If you mean run winters on a dry surface and like me you are in a moderate coastal climate headed to mountains occasionally, the winters will be some compromise in the mild weather, maybe mostly on tread noise, but will be the definite right set up come snow, ice and road crud. If you are in harsh conditions and elect to narrow tire width as many do to get better road bite, that may affect dry braking some. The 18's will cause more tire roll but will also soak up the pot holes and bumps a lot better.

Oh oh my bad.........thanks for picking up on that. The existing wheels are 8.5x20" ET33 and I want to step down to 8x18" ET39 with 235/60x18 winters.
I live in the mountains of BC and winter tires are mandatory 6 months of the year.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Whitequinn you are wise to be planning for winter tires, get some good ones ! You're confidence that BC mandates their use is a bit tricky.2 of my sons live in Golden fortunately they're from Quebec so winter tires are a given on their vehicles but BC's law allows M&S labeled tires, which are in fact so-called 4 seasons.If it doesn't have the jagged mountain/snowflake symbol then it's made for Florida.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
Whitequinn you are wise to be planning for winter tires, get some good ones ! You're confidence that BC mandates their use is a bit tricky.2 of my sons live in Golden fortunately they're from Quebec so winter tires are a given on their vehicles but BC's law allows M&S labeled tires, which are in fact so-called 4 seasons.If it doesn't have the jagged mountain/snowflake symbol then it's made for Florida.

I just purchased 4, Michelin CrossClimate SUV model tires from Tire Rack. They have the 4 season 3 mountain peaks symbol. They have great reviews, mostly in Europe, but some US owners praise them also. Supposedly they have great winter performance and perform like a great summer tire. I was intrigued with the tire and said to myself these are unconventional and need to see what they can and can't do. Looks like only Tire Rack sells them, local shops can't get them. They are pricey, my 235R60-18's cost $250 each.
I will have the Audi dealer install them and balance with the Hunter load force balancer in early August when I go in for my turbo aux cooling pump recall fix. I will report how these tires perform after I break them in and then in the winter snows come Dec/Jan.

Since I'm retired, I really don't need to drive in any snow at all. I can wait until the road crews plow and salt down to a wet road. So why do I need 4 season tires?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ossClimate+SUV

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 07-09-2019 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 142 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitequinn
Oh oh my bad.........thanks for picking up on that. The existing wheels are 8.5x20" ET33 and I want to step down to 8x18" ET39 with 235/60x18 winters.
I live in the mountains of BC and winter tires are mandatory 6 months of the year.

I'm searching for exactly the same wheel right now. There are two good options that I've seen - an OEM 8x18 Q5 wheel, 10 spoke, and a 2012 A6 8X18 5 spoke. Both are 39ET. I'm accumulating the five spoke wheels, so far have two...

Both are pretty reasonably priced on ebay...in the range of $100 for a clean wheel.