Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Wool being pulled over my eyes - 2015 SQ5 Brake Rotors need replacing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 08:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wool being pulled over my eyes - 2015 SQ5 Brake Rotors need replacing?

Hi All,
I recently took my 2015 SQ5 (40,000km = 24,900miles) for servicing at a "reputable" Audi dealership. Got a call from the Service Advisor recommending to change to my brake rotors. He said the brake pads were still good.
He provided the specs and I suspect because I am a female, he was giving me the safety recommendations to get them changed before the sensor light goes on. Also don't brake pads usually need replacing before rotors?

My car brake rotor specs:

Front:
Left - 34.60mm
Right - 34.47 mm

Rear:
Left - 21.01mm
Right - 21.16mm

Researching google, I found the following information. I think I should be ok for another 6-12 months or so??? I only do city driving and don't drive it hard. Any thoughts/advice?

SQ5 Front:
brake rotor new 36 mm
brake rotor wear limit 34 mm

Rear:
internal thickness 22mm
brake rotor wear limit 20 mm

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-28-2019, 09:24 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

You can drive it until the sensor light comes on if you like. In my experience by then you definitely will need new rotors.
Dealers frequently recommend brakes prematurely. Either as a shady way to make money or just to err on the side of caution.
FWIW my 2014 SQ5 needed brakes at 54k miles and the sensor still had not tripped.
Also it is about a $2500-$2800 job at the dealer. (All 4 rotors and pads)
Old 03-28-2019, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Onyx_can
Hi All,
I recently took my 2015 SQ5 (40,000km = 24,900miles) for servicing at a "reputable" Audi dealership. Got a call from the Service Advisor recommending to change to my brake rotors. He said the brake pads were still good.
He provided the specs and I suspect because I am a female, he was giving me the safety recommendations to get them changed before the sensor light goes on. Also don't brake pads usually need replacing before rotors?

My car brake rotor specs:

Front:
Left - 34.60mm
Right - 34.47 mm

Rear:
Left - 21.01mm
Right - 21.16mm

Researching google, I found the following information. I think I should be ok for another 6-12 months or so??? I only do city driving and don't drive it hard. Any thoughts/advice?

SQ5 Front:
brake rotor new 36 mm
brake rotor wear limit 34 mm

Rear:
internal thickness 22mm
brake rotor wear limit 20 mm

Thanks in advance!
They were obviously trying to up sale! It's impossible that a rotor could not out last brake pads, because the brake pads are softer. My 2007 Honda still has the factory rotor, yeah, it's 12 years old and 155K miles, and rusty, but it is still within spec and works perfectly. It's total BS for them to recommend rotor replacement for no reason at such low mileage.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by visionguru
They were obviously trying to up sale! It's impossible that a rotor could not out last brake pads, because the brake pads are softer. My 2007 Honda still has the factory rotor, yeah, it's 12 years old and 155K miles, and rusty, but it is still within spec and works perfectly. It's total BS for them to recommend rotor replacement for no reason at such low mileage.
Thanks! Appreciate all the feedback. I did think it was strange that the brake pads didn't need replacing as they were "good" but quoted $2000 for rotor replacing. Oh look!!! I just received an Audi customer survey! Going to be honest with them.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

My front discs lasted 3 pad sets, they still had a few mm left when I replaced them last year, so yes, it’s pretty likely that they went fishing with you
Old 03-28-2019, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Run front rotors until next pad change is needed, then likely replace. A warning light will turn on when pads get low. Old Audi rule of thumb tends to be two pad sets per rotor change--at least in front. Or said another way every other time you need to do both pads and rotors. It varies though based on your driving style and average speeds and such. Also to be clear, the wear spec is one where below the minimum a shop is not supposed to work on it without changing rotors and a machine shop is not supposed to refinish them so that result ends up below the minimum spec. But the rotors don't suddenly go poof or brakes not work or lots of boogeyman innuendo. Dealers sometimes also try to play games where they imply that if you might fall below the spec sometime in the future, like with a pad change, so you should then do them now. That is not the purpose of the spec. really.

Your rears are less than half worn against spec, so those are obviously fine.

What you don't provide is the pad thickness. For example, the rears on my Hybrid--same size rears as a 3.0T or SQ5--are now reaching end of life at 65,000 miles. I have NEVER changed the pads, but from rotor spec they will be done by the time the pads wear out. I suspect you have a long way to go on your rears, but pad depth would confirm that.

Also know that brake work is easily the most profitable simple work a dealership does. There is no magic to it. A competent independent mechanic can do exactly the same work, and use Audi parts if you want. The front SQ rotors turn out to be basically proprietatry, so they will end up getting those from Audi anyway. The rears are much more parts bin commodity stuff with lots of choices.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-28-2019 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Onyx_can
Thanks! Appreciate all the feedback. I did think it was strange that the brake pads didn't need replacing as they were "good" but quoted $2000 for rotor replacing. Oh look!!! I just received an Audi customer survey! Going to be honest with them.
They are trying to get money from you and do not have the dealer do your brakes. audiusaparts sells the oem stuff much cheaper with free shipping and take them to an indy shop to get swapped. You can get all four brakes done with pads for under $1,500.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Onyx_can No you need to sever all ties with these guys they're obviously criminals.No different than sticking their hands in your wallet/purse and taking what they can find.
Hopefully you live where there are other Audi dealers who can deal with any warranty issues but for your rotor situation, seek out a good local independant garage and have them have a look and give you an opinion.
Unless something really weird is going on you can then take your results to Audi corporate and let them know there's a rat in the kitchen.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What you don't provide is the pad thickness. For example, the rears on my Hybrid--same size rears as a 3.0T or SQ5--are now reaching end of life at 65,000 miles. I have NEVER changed the pads, but from rotor spec they will be done by the time the pads wear out. I suspect you have a long way to go on your rears, but pad depth would confirm that.

Thank you for the invaluable information. According to the Service sheet:
Front pads:
Left - 7.5
Right - 7.5

Rear pads:
Left - 6
Right - 6

I hate the fact the used a scare tactic on me. Thanks again.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
Onyx_can No you need to sever all ties with these guys they're obviously criminals.No different than sticking their hands in your wallet/purse and taking what they can find.
Hopefully you live where there are other Audi dealers who can deal with any warranty issues but for your rotor situation, seek out a good local independant garage and have them have a look and give you an opinion.
Unless something really weird is going on you can then take your results to Audi corporate and let them know there's a rat in the kitchen.
Thank you MurrayA4. I will not be returning to this dealership for any Service.

Quick Reply: Wool being pulled over my eyes - 2015 SQ5 Brake Rotors need replacing?