Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

YEEHAW! Audi to Buy Back 3.0L TDIs

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering what prices are still at for Q5 TDIs, I'm not sure there's been a hit on depreciation/value. I would have much preferred a TDI, but I couldn't find anything at all available without spending over $40k. And that's used.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I would have to agree. We've been thinking of replacing our '04 A6 and would love to replace it with a TDI but they are still holding their value. Oh well. The old A6 still get's the job done.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Part of the issue here is that there's very little inventory of TDIs because people don't want to sell before a settlement. My fear is that if there is say here's $2K, a software fix, that there could be a glut which would depress sale price.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So . . . where's my SQ7 with the supercharged and turbocharged V8 TDI at damn it! I'll buy one tomorrow . . .

I've been commenting from time to time all along that the 3.0 should not require much to fix and so now we are pissed that . . . it should not require much to fix?

I am personally thrilled that we are not going to get a vehicle we love yanked out from under us. I put the Bluespark tuner on and went to Dallas and back a couple weeks ago, had a high speed skirmish with a Caddy CTS [nice car BTW] and a BMW X6 M on the way down and with 6-7 cars coming home, talking 100-120mph for 15-20 miles down and 30-40 miles coming home [very light traffic] and still averaged 35mpg for the trip. I absolutely LOVE this technology on these type vehicles.

Party at my house . . .

Last edited by canon_mutant; 11-17-2016 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Bring on the SQ7

+1 (or even the SQ5+ TDI )
Old 11-18-2016, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fujinator
+1 (or even the SQ5+ TDI )
With enhanced performance over the Q5 TDI because of better software cheats!
Old 11-18-2016, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lentiman
I'm not sure if y'all noted in this thread the payouts from the 2.0 TDI settlement. They were given approx. 25% of the 2015 value of the car for restitution, separate from the buyback amount. This seemed pretty fair to me, but of course won't please everyone. Hopefully the amount on the 3.0 TDI vehicles would be a higher percentage, BUT if it's the same percent then at least it will scale with the price/value of the vehicle. I'm cautiously optimistic but until the $ is in my bank account I won't hold my breath.
If the restitution is a percentage of value, why should it be a higher percentage for 3.0s? The value is higher so the compensation is higher.
Old 11-20-2016, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by canon_mutant
So . . . where's my SQ7 with the supercharged and turbocharged V8 TDI at damn it! I'll buy one tomorrow . . .

I've been commenting from time to time all along that the 3.0 should not require much to fix and so now we are pissed that . . . it should not require much to fix?

I am personally thrilled that we are not going to get a vehicle we love yanked out from under us. I put the Bluespark tuner on and went to Dallas and back a couple weeks ago, had a high speed skirmish with a Caddy CTS [nice car BTW] and a BMW X6 M on the way down and with 6-7 cars coming home, talking 100-120mph for 15-20 miles down and 30-40 miles coming home [very light traffic] and still averaged 35mpg for the trip. I absolutely LOVE this technology on these type vehicles.

Party at my house . . .
I am very interested in your experience with theBluespark tuner, and would appreciate clarification to these items:
1- is this like a Malone tune?
2- Has your car passed emissions inspection?
3- Verify that this is for a 3.0 TDI
Thx
Old 11-21-2016, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

The Bluespark tuner is for the 3.0TDI. I have the Pro+Boost model which has more options. I have not looked in a while to see what they are calling it now?
I am not familiar with the Malone tune.
I have not had an emissions test with the tuner on nor with it off for that matter here in Kansas.

It took a full second off 0-60 in my Cayenne [7.2 to 6.2] but 0-60 in 5.8 in the Q5 [which is only better by .7 but I believe on par with the SQ5 ~ noticeable!] and light throttle mileage actually improves. Though you certainly notice the extra torque, you really notice how much harder it pulls when extra HP matters. When you hit about 3rd where the stock tune HP starts to fall on its face, the motor continues to pull strong. Still not as good as an actual "remap tune" but easily installed/removed and the best $400 I've spent. I tried C6, D9, and E8 [was told E8 is more US variant friendly] and E8 pulled the hardest but had a tad more diesel clatter and off idle light throttle exacerbation to turbo lag that I didn't care for. So, bottom line, I need a few more runs and experimentation in the Q5 before I can make an official recommendation. Since my health isn't good, I am not sure how quickly that will happen?

Let's take any further on this offline so we don't hi-jack this thread.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default November 30 Hearing Delayed

The hearing scheduled for tomorrow has been moved to December 16.

U.S. judge delays court hearing on Volkswagen 3.0-liter diesels | Reuters

Happy Holidays!

Quick Reply: YEEHAW! Audi to Buy Back 3.0L TDIs