Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

YEEHAW! Audi to Buy Back 3.0L TDIs

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Pratfall keep in mind I'm a Canadian peering over the fence (wall) but I'm pretty confident that your dealer is BSing you.Carb have just rejected VAG proposed "fix" and unless I'm imagining things that's pretty important.I know that there is more than CA. that follows those rules.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

The last progress report published by the courts said the fixed were submitted in april and supplemented in June, still pending approval, Ive not seen anything saying rejected or accepted.

The only rejection I've seen on any of em so far was the 6MT Passat, all other fixes been approved or are still pending.

However, I highly doubt the Gen2 3.0L TDI's need any parts.. so I dunno if I trust his dealer either.

Last edited by dreadlocks; 08-17-2017 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
Pratfall keep in mind I'm a Canadian peering over the fence (wall) but I'm pretty confident that your dealer is BSing you.Carb have just rejected VAG proposed "fix" and unless I'm imagining things that's pretty important.I know that there is more than CA. that follows those rules.
That very well could be. Though to be clear -- it wasn't the dealer who told me this. It was the litigation-related liason using the dealer as a base for inspections. Nevertheless, I won't count on anything until I see a formal announcement in cold hard print.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes I should have posted this originally,anyway here it is, perhaps I'm misunderstanding this emission from Carb.

California rejects VW diesel fix, court rules against GM and more - NY Daily News
Old 08-17-2017, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
Yes I should have posted this originally,anyway here it is, perhaps I'm misunderstanding this emission from Carb.

California rejects VW diesel fix, court rules against GM and more - NY Daily News
That appears to be an article from July 2016.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks Dennis guess I have to awake from my slumber.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

So I had my settlement appointment today (yes, I'm a little late to the party). My settlement offer was $8,399.84 for a 2015 Q5 P+ TDI. I understood that this amount would be the first payment and there would be another payment at the time of a fix, if any.

I was very surprised when the guy said I would only receive half of the $8,399.84 now, and the second half after a repair. Is this right? Is this how it worked for everyone else? If so, $8K ain't nowhere near enough money to let them eff up my car with a "fix." But being in California, I feel completely stuck.

Would love to hear from any others who received this first payment.

Thanks.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by metta
So I had my settlement appointment today (yes, I'm a little late to the party). My settlement offer was $8,399.84 for a 2015 Q5 P+ TDI. I understood that this amount would be the first payment and there would be another payment at the time of a fix, if any.

I was very surprised when the guy said I would only receive half of the $8,399.84 now, and the second half after a repair. Is this right? Is this how it worked for everyone else? If so, $8K ain't nowhere near enough money to let them eff up my car with a "fix." But being in California, I feel completely stuck.

Thanks.
Yep. The $8399 is your TOTAL settlement from Audi with half paid up front and half after repair. This assumes, of course, a fix is approved by CARB/EPA. If not, then additional cash and options become available. Lots of information on this in the thread.

I had my appt last Monday. Took about five mins. The guy took about ten photos of the VIN in two places (had to make sure they were clear). Received confirmation of the visit the same night and again the following morning along with instructions on how to claim the JPMC e-payment. Got the payment notification on Wed and it was deposited on Thur. Easy peasy. My settlement is about $8040 with an initial payment of $4019. Add in the $1000 loyalty cards from last year and $1500 from Bosch and I think we're making out OK. If a buyback comes into play we'll have other options to consider.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks.
If you don't go along for the fix, you can just keep the first half payment, but you forfeit the second half payments (VW + Bosch) and the comprehensive emission warranty.

Last edited by DennisMitchell; 08-22-2017 at 07:23 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks.
I had previously created a calculator to figure out your individual details. However there are published ranges that should give you enough details that you are after. Numbers for Q5s...

Basically it breaks down into:

A.) Timely Fix, fully emission compliant. ~$8000 (Range: $7,887-$10,009)
If there's an approved fix before 12/20/17 (or if that deadline gets extended), this is the amount you can get in exchange for taking the fix.
You can, however, elected to get 1/2 of this money early, before it's known if there's a fix or not. There seems to be no stipulation that you ever have to take the fix to get this first 1/2 of the money. You do need to get the fix to get the second 1/2 of the money. I believe that once the fix is approved, you can no longer get the first 1/2 without getting the fix; at that point, it's all or nothing.

B.) Buyback. ~$60,000 (Range: $53,053-$79,745)
If there is no fully compliant fix by the deadline, then you can have your car bought back.

C.) Non-timely fully compliant fix or reduced emissions (but not fully compliant) fix. ~$15,000 (Range: $12,903-$19,430)
If after the "timely" deadline, VW later comes up with either a fully compliant fix that gets approved *or* if they come up with a fix that while not fully compliant to the original spec, is still much better and approved, you can take this option and get more money

Each of these amounts are totals. So if you take 1/2 of #1 early and then later get a buyback, you are paid the remaining (ie $60k-$4k)

Bosch $1500 is separate and in addition to these.

The below are taken from here:
https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/3-0-models/ --> Amended Exhibit #3

And here was a snapshot of the excel calculator I created:

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: YEEHAW! Audi to Buy Back 3.0L TDIs